Help! The paint on my house is being ruined!

• Thread starter fasteddy0
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

fasteddy0

So I moved into this house just under 3 years ago, at that time the previous owner had it painted before they moved on. The first really cold storm that winter the house started to bubble, peel and secrete a rust like liquid (the rust liquid has nothing to do with the nails behind the paint, as I have removed sections of paint and found no nail behind the rusty ooze)

We come to find out later that the guy who painted the house is not a painter by trade but a buddy of the owner. Also he used a paint that is made up of recycled paints that people bring there instead of throwing away. Many painters around here say that this is not a great exterior paint to begin with and the fact that it is made with several old paints mixed together it seems like you would never know what you were getting. (I know really great huh?)

Now here is the other issue. I am exhausting into the attic from the basement, and I am wondering if this humid air is causing my house to sweat which is causing the peeling and bleeding on the exterior paint.

I have seen no mold in the attic as of yet.

Here are a few examples of what it looks like. There are actually some areas that look way worse, but you can get the idea.

photo_336.JPG
photo_143.JPG
photo_243.JPG

There are 3 options I have thought of.

1) Make this a closed system. (I am not crazy about having the AC unit outside my house as I do not have a great place to tuck it away at.

2) Install an attic fan on the gable with an intake on the gable on the other side of the house, with a humidistat (for winter) and a thermostat (for summer)

3) Or just repaint the house and hopefully it was the old paint that failed

So what do you guys think? Is it the junk paint used that failed or is it the fact that I exhaust into the attic?

I am looking at getting the house painted this summer but don't want to have to deal with this happening to the paint again so I need to get this figured out asap.

fasteddy

J

JAHGYDI

painter by trade here. thats not from your exhaust. its just shitty paint. i would scrape, strip old paint off before applying new paint.

coloradochem

coloradochem

also painter by trade, thats shitty paint scrape off, repaint. do you live in a humid cliamite

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
repaint obvioulsy - but that attic gable fan is a great idea too - venting into your attic causes moisture in there for sure - not good for the wood holding up your shingles

hiboy

hiboy

Hard to get all that krap paint off. So much for recycling.. haha.
High pressure washer will remove alot of the loose stuff.
h

F

fasteddy0

Yeah it is decently humid in this area (rains alot). Anyhow thanks everyone for the input! That is definitely good news to me. I am just glad to know I wasn't doing any major damage to the house.

sedate

sedate

fasteddy0 said:
So I moved into this house just under 3 years ago, at that time the previous owner had it painted before they moved on.

Wait wait - you aren't repainting a rental are you?

You own that home right?

fasteddy0 said:
Now here is the other issue. I am exhausting into the attic from the basement, and I am wondering if this humid air is causing my house to sweat which is causing the peeling and bleeding on the exterior paint.

The humid air would rot out the support beams in the attic long before it began to damage the paint . . .

But if you kept the temperature of that paint - say - 20 or 30 degrees above ambient for years - I could see the paint began to chip away.

There has got to be a speciality paint for this, methinks anyway.

motherlode said:
repaint obvioulsy - but that attic gable fan is a great idea too

^^^ +1

420alldaze

420alldaze

25 years in the trade. you def. need to scrape pressure wash and scrape again. then prime all exposed wood. then repaint. if you live in a damp/ high humidity area, make sure the bare wood gets a chance to dry out before applying new primer/paint. good luck peacentreez

Latest posts

Top Bottom