Help Troubleshooting Led/driver Combos

• Thread starter Joates
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Joates

Okay guys, I have looked this thread over and Im currently trying to build a custom LED fixture but Im running into problems.
I have a Mean Well APC-12-100 Driver
and this one here:

I ordered 6 deep red luxeon es 3watt and 6 royal blue luxeon es 3watt LEDs from Stevesleds.com

I also got 22 Cree XT-E Q5-7B 3000-3200k warm white : https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004538/1581105-cree-xt-e-q5-7b-381lm-3000-3200k-warm-white-led

and 15 Cree XT-E 4500-5000k : https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004538/2058900-cree-xt-e-450lm-4500-5000k-led-emitter-5-pack

Now for the problem, When using the Mean Well driver (700ma) both Cree XT-E types lit up just fine, being 1500ma max I figured they would be fine just being under driven to test them. But then when I tried a royal blue luxeon ES it seemed to blow, which I didn't understand because its rated at 1000ma max. I got the driver specifically to run the Deep red Luxeon ES's because they have a max ma rating of 700. But when I connected the driver it seemed to fry the deep red just like the royal blue.

I then tried the 1500ma driver with the Cree XT-Es which is what I intended to use for them, but I ran into the same problem as the other, a fried Cree XT-E.

Initially I thought the voltage might be the problem, but I dont understand why the mean well driver wouldnt fry the Cree's just like the Luxeons.

Is the max current rating what they fry at and Im just trying to get too much power out of them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MGRox

MGRox

Running most LED at full rated power requires good heat dissipation in the form of heatsinks to prevent the Diode Junction from overheating.

Heat produced from this setup must be removed at the same rate as produced. If this is not the case, then temperature of the junction will continue to rise until failure.

J

Joates

I just didnt think adding a heat sink would save them, as they went out instantly. Wouldnt the heat need to build up to make them fail?

MGRox

MGRox

I just didnt think adding a heat sink would save them, as they went out instantly. Wouldnt the heat need to build up to make them fail?
If you drove a 750 ma LED at less than 100ma; then you'd prolly be ok to run long enough to ensure the bulb worked. Running at full rated power, I'd guess they would blow within a couple seconds. Yes they did require time to heat up, but with practically no ability to dissipate incoming power (on its' own); junction temp failure is fast.

J

Joates

They are on PCB 20mm stars, I figured those would be adequate to see if they functioned or not.
I plan on putting them on 1/8in thick aluminum, 1 inch wide by about 24 in long. Roughly 6 or 7 per. I was going to connect those to a solid 1x1 inch aluminum block that will be cut to 24in. I was hoping that would be enough to hold the heat away from them.

Im not really chomping at the bit to make the setup though if the drivers wont drive the LEDs.

J

Joates

Importantly though it would seem you guys dont see any obvious reasons why those drivers would not work with those LEDs? Am I correct?

Latest posts

Top Bottom