Help! Upper Leaves on Main Kola Bent Up...

• Thread starter ShorelineTex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

ShorelineTex

I have a few ladies about 5.5 weeks into flower (~8 weeks to finish). They look relatively healthy, but the top leaves on the upper kola are bent up and twisted a bit. I keep my pH at 6.8 (but haven't checked for a few days), and I use epsom/dolomite in the mix, so I don't think it's mag deficiency...

Below are some pics...one close up so you can see what's happening, then another further back so you can see the rest of the plant looks relatively normal (except for maybe a touch of nitrogen burn - sorry it's blurry).

Any ideas?

Help  upper leaves on main kola bent up
Help  upper leaves on main kola bent up 2
S

Sway

typically when ive seen that its because its a little warm in the room.. the leaf edges go up to dissipate heat.. maybe that could be it.. hold your hand over the plant, if the back of your hand feels warm, its probably to warm. just a thought.

S

ShorelineTex

typically when ive seen that its because its a little warm in the room.. the leaf edges go up to dissipate heat.. maybe that could be it.. hold your hand over the plant, if the back of your hand feels warm, its probably to warm. just a thought.

Cool...I was hoping it was heat. The tops of the plants are like at around 82-83 degrees - maybe a touch warm?

It doesn't look like the girls are any worse for wear other than that, I was just hoping it wasn't a nute problem.

If it's nute buildup like CANNASSEUR suggests, that should hopefully be fixed next week when I start flushing them.

Thanks for the feedback!

C

crippled1

I found out recently that photosynthesis starts to slow down if the leaf temperature is above 76F.
Get a infrared thermometer and get an exact reading of the leaf temp.
Of course that number might not apply if using CO2.

R

Rolln J

I found out recently that photosynthesis starts to slow down if the leaf temperature is above 76F.
Get a infrared thermometer and get an exact reading of the leaf temp.
Of course that number might not apply if using CO2.

im curious where you found that out at?

S

ShorelineTex

Well, looks like I had a hot spot in my tent...all the ladies showing these signs were around 86-88 degrees!

I pulled up the light another inch or so and threw another fan up top, which seems to be helping the temp. But geez...I hate putting more weight up in those tents. It still feels stable, but the skinny metal frame just looks so wimpy!!

My temps are normally hi 70s/lo 80s, and they've never showed these signs before, but I just finished (or thought I finished) the ventilation, so I guess there wasn't enough air circulating around to keep the temp uniform inside the tent.

Regardless, thanks for the feedback!

C

CoCannabis303

Great question bro, What pot size are you rocking?. I grew a purple pineapple plant for a long time in a 1.5 gal plastic bag, the leaves started to curl upwards...colors stayed fine, and all seemed well... A friend of mine looked at the plant and didnt see anything wrong...temp was 78% and ph/ppm all seemed fine...

He told me to try transplanting her into a larger bucket...i did (5gal) and after a couple days transplant shock, the leaves flattened out and looked fine again!

Im guessing it helped, but who knows?

might not be a good Idea though if you are that far into flower (dont want to shock her)... im running 2gal pots right now, but here soon im gonna run an experiment and see which produces the best results, 2, 3, or 5gal buckets...Ill try and post a side thred come that time...

Did the heat drop fix the curling?

HOLLAR!

S

ShorelineTex

Did the heat drop fix the curling?

HOLLAR!

I can't really tell yet...I've only dropped the temp back down a few degrees.

I think I might have to back up the light even a bit more, but I'll save that for tomorrow night.

The plants are in 1 gallon milk jugs with the tops cut off :)

I spent all my money on a light - after reading a lot on this site a while back, I figured that was the best bang for my buck. So I don't buy much else that costs more than a few bucks a bag - manure, blood/bone meal, discount potting soil, epsom salt...I think dolomitic lime is the most expensive thing I get now lol. Even my fans are just jury-rigged blower fans from the local hardware store...

I guess I should gladly accept my results with slightly twisted leaves in a few parts of my tent given my completely ghetto setup!!! Couldn't have done it without the farm....... :rauch08:

S

ShorelineTex

im curious where you found that out at?

76 degrees is tossed around a lot (saltwater aquarium enthusiasts are particularly fond of that number due to relatively similar environmental conditions in coral reefs).

Rates of photosynthesis do form temp-dependent bell curves with an optimum like the one in the link below, but there are lots of other factors that affect the parameters of the curve like the amount of available light to use in photosynthesis, atmospheric pressure...all in addition to CO2 concentrations.

Found a good link going over some of the factors:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5459160_effect-temperature-rate-photosynthesis.html

R

Rolln J

honestly bro they look pretty damn good - few twisty leaves aside its gonna be dank - lol - dont stress!

S

ShorelineTex

Lol...thanks, Rolln!

Just making sure that it wasn't some kind of other (worse) problem.

J

jointsallday

Hello,
could be heat ...like people said....but for what it's worth I've been raising the lights about an inch or so every 2-3 days the last couple weeks anyway.

one, cause of the heat thing ( pita ) but 2) kinda similar to the mind set of lowering night time temps 5 or 15 more degrees as part of the final climate thingy.

gets boring waiting around...haha

I'm wondering if that's your ph of run-off

I run water but I try to flush couple times between res changes,, for a day maybe and that water will go up in tds ( obviuously )...idk if u can do the same with dirt to get an idea of what is going on with tds in dirt. sorry

good luck with the curly leaves.......girls would kill for that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom