Help wavy leaves, what's wrong?

• Thread starter Peps
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Peps

Peps

hello guys, I have noticed in my field some plants that have wavy leaves... they are few and those that are next to them are doing well.
Could it be some kind of under-watering or overfeeding?

Help wavy leaves whats wrong

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Over watering, possibly a root issue. Look around the base of it for small, cricket sized, or smaller holes.
Dig around a bit if you see any, look for grubs or mole crickets, anything that could be eating the roots.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Some more info would help. What kinda dirt, how big pot, how often water, how often food, how much, how long has problem persisted, where on the plant is it? And photos of the whole plant would help

Peps

Peps

Sorry, I should have put more information.
I gave an NPK (13-40-13) last week, I fertilize weekly at this stage I am trying to give more phosphorus and potassium and less nitrogen, they are in blooming for a week and a half.
irrigation is daily at this time, about 2.5 liters per plant.
I haven't noticed any crickets or holes in the stem (only in other plants due to the borer that I'm already struggling with)...
with the mulch it is a bit difficult to control the roots

WhatsApp Image 2021 08 19 at 231942
WhatsApp Image 2021 08 19 at 231940

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Are those leaves soft or crunchy when you handled them in the video?

Peps

Peps

I noticed that only the leaves on the apical part of the branches are like this.
maybe the plants with wavy leaves receive less water than the others🤨

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

i mean a little crunchy, maybe you can hear it from the video
No, I did not hear anything. So, that is lack of water. Have you spiked them to make sure they are not root locked in clay or something? Use a hay fork.

Peps

Peps

No, I did not hear anything. So, that is lack of water. Have you spiked them to make sure they are not root locked in clay or something? Use a hay fork.
I haven't tried it, as soon as I get back to the field I'm going to try sticking the pitchfork in to see the humidity of the soil. This morning I stuck my finger in and it was wet (at least superficially).

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I haven't tried it, as soon as I get back to the field I'm going to try sticking the pitchfork in to see the humidity of the soil. This morning I stuck my finger in and it was wet (at least superficially).
Soil can get hydrophobic. Make sure you really put enough holes to loosen the soil without moving it around. Then water and those leaves should reinflate.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Yes defiantly root issues, i have seen ants and stem rot show similar effects to start i would cut back the weed mat and examine the area where your roots are growing, i would also double check your irrigation system even with rather clean water there is still particulate matter in it easily clogging your emitters. Folks like to guess about watering, its pretty easy you just hand water the crap outta it and see if it perks up or not. But whatever problem you have seems pretty advanced. Numb is on the right track, you can also consider using yucca and alo vera or a similar wetting agent to help hydrate the soil. Hydrophobic is a real pain to fix up once the dirt is that dry.
What kinda irrigation do you have? Are you on a clay hard pan? What kind of dirt is this in?

Peps

Peps

unfortunately I had to cut most of the plants, including some with wavy leaves....
a strain that gave me too much trouble, weak genetics, showing off some hermies every week (over 30%), they were becoming too much trouble to control all 600 of them, and I could not risk pollinating the rest of the field.
I only left some that I will try to treat with Ethephon this week.
the wavy leaves were a minor problem. 😔
WhatsApp Image 2021 08 22 at 222933
WhatsApp Image 2021 08 22 at 222933 1

thank you anyway for all the useful information🤙💪

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Wow. I wish I had a back yard like that. Wow that sucks bud. Really Really. Looking at the grass field in the back ground burned off. I'd say stress from lack of water would be part of the problem. My plants this size get 4 liters at daylight and a liter in the evening. 13-40 13 is more for young plants. 1/4 strength once or twice gets the roots growing on seedlings. After that you should be 2 weeks 1/4 strength 28-10-10 then 1/2 strength 28-10-10 until you begin to see signs of flowering. Then 3-6 12 or other blooming fertilizer. Have you checked your soil PH?

Peps

Peps

hey, the soil PH is 6.90, do you think a 7-12-40 is a little excessive?

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

hey, the soil PH is 6.90, do you think a 7-12-40 is a little excessive?
I have never tried it. I start seeds indoors under lights until 3rd topping I mainline in 1/2 - 55 gallon drums in Worm Castings. 1/4 strength 5-15-5 on seedlings to get them going. Let them double in size. Then `1/4 strength 28-10 10 double in size then 1/2 strength 28-10-10 until buds start forming.
Then I use 3-6-12. for flowering.

Top Bottom