Help with a ripeness check

• Thread starter Wigglybob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Wigglybob

I know this is a common noob question, but I have a few extra layers giving me trouble.

So I have 3rd generation bag seeds from a friend planted outside in the garden. It's pretty early to harvest where I am, but my plants were seeded in January (woops). On top of that I'm colorblind. I'm having a lot of trouble telling what I'm looking at with a loupe.

Here's my picture. This is a branch that snapped off 2 days ago, the top of the plant is slightly more developed. Yellow leaves developed last week, but fertilizer was light all season.
Help with a ripeness check

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I know this is a common noob question, but I have a few extra layers giving me trouble.

So I have 3rd generation bag seeds from a friend planted outside in the garden. It's pretty early to harvest where I am, but my plants were seeded in January (woops). On top of that I'm colorblind. I'm having a lot of trouble telling what I'm looking at with a loupe.

Here's my picture. This is a branch that snapped off 2 days ago, the top of the plant is slightly more developed. Yellow leaves developed last week, but fertilizer was light all season.View attachment 2038765
3-4 weeks to go..
what area you in?

W

Wigglybob

New England. I was afraid of that, I had to early harvest 2 large plants because they were dying. I'm afraid the 2 left will do the same since they are drooping.

I'm not even positive when they started flowering, I want to say pistils really started in July. I did a quick dry and test toke of a small bud that dropped off, it had decent potency for random seeds.

Guess I'll hold out as long as I can.

Thanks for the help

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
New England. I was afraid of that, I had to early harvest 2 large plants because they were dying. I'm afraid the 2 left will do the same since they are drooping.

I'm not even positive when they started flowering, I want to say pistils really started in July. I did a quick dry and test toke of a small bud that dropped off, it had decent potency for random seeds.

Guess I'll hold out as long as I can.

Thanks for the help
can you post pictures of the plant?

W

Wigglybob

Yeah when I get home I'll post the main stalk. Realized I should have that after I asked the question. The piece that fell off definitely had more curly pistils than the rest of the plant.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah when I get home I'll post the main stalk. Realized I should have that after I asked the question. The piece that fell off definitely had more curly pistils than the rest of the plant.
well your in the same growing conditions as me, meaning seasonal changes, and i still have 3-4 weeks to go..

W

Wigglybob

Yeah that's what I realize, the friend that gave me them said maybe cut them since I planted so early. I suddenly lost 6 huge healthy looking plants just before flowering, so I've been on edge ever since.

W

Wigglybob

These are the 2 remaining plants, they yellowed so quickly after the colas started to thicken. I assumed they were almost done or dying, but they survived a heavy rain storm yesterday.

20230912 133736
20230912 133753
20230912 133815
20230912 133819
W

Wigglybob

ok from those pics it seems like there’s no bud development? and pretty leafy..
where are you? what area?
Yeah I left the plant bushy, the leafy-ness in the 2 new pics developed while it was flowering. I'm in New England. The earlier pics are from over a week ago, last 2 are yesterday

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah I left the plant bushy, the leafy-ness in the 2 new pics developed while it was flowering. I'm in New England. The earlier pics are from over a week ago, last 2 are yesterday
ok you seem to be in the same zone environmentally so most plants have 3-4 weeks to go.. i would like to see a picture with more of the plant visible, to see all the damage on the leaves..

W

Wigglybob

ok you seem to be in the same zone environmentally so most plants have 3-4 weeks to go.. i would like to see a picture with more of the plant visible, to see all the damage on the leaves..
Yeah it definitely seems early, but they have been flowering since July. Friend who gave me the seeds is harvesting and he lives nearby, but he's relatively new as well.

I had a massive die-off, lost over half my plants to what I think is root-rot. These 2 might be going the same way, but they flowered well for over 6 weeks before showing signsof damage.

Wondering if I cut them down, or see if they develop a bit more. I had 2 others die earlier in flower, the bud isn't great but was worth salvaging.

This is a slightly better pic of the main stalk on the healthier plant, too dark now to take more.
20230916 165138

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah it definitely seems early, but they have been flowering since July. Friend who gave me the seeds is harvesting and he lives nearby, but he's relatively new as well.

I had a massive die-off, lost over half my plants to what I think is root-rot. These 2 might be going the same way, but they flowered well for over 6 weeks before showing signsof damage.

Wondering if I cut them down, or see if they develop a bit more. I had 2 others die earlier in flower, the bud isn't great but was worth salvaging.

This is a slightly better pic of the main stalk on the healthier plant, too dark now to take more. View attachment 2042817
ok.. ya doesn’t look great but i would like better pictures..
do you know what white powdery mildew is? and how to spot it? i think i see it.. either way something not good is going on.. i guess wait for better pictures..
looking down at plant, pictures showing the leaf damage etc..

W

Wigglybob

ok.. ya doesn’t look great but i would like better pictures..
do you know what white powdery mildew is? and how to spot it? i think i see it.. either way something not good is going on.. i guess wait for better pictures..
looking down at plant, pictures showing the leaf damage etc..
Ok, really appreciate the help.

I have looked at and considered white mildew, I don't detect anything like that when I look at the buds/leaves. However, there was a thin purple/white ring around the trunk base of the ones that died months ago.

Top Bottom