help with cana carbon filter

• Thread starter JonathonStrange
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JonathonStrange

i am apprently confused and hope you guys can set me straight. When I went to my local grow shop and told him about my space and said hook me up. He sold me a 17 inch canna filter and a 4 inch fan. He gave me no instruction on how to install. He said he kept one by his tv to keep his air clean so i figured this was how he had it. this is how i have it
gr_001.JPG

I have the intake on top suck it is sucking air through for odor.
What is the best way to install this so i can use it to its maximum potential.

Thanks for your help
JS

also have thread up in the grow diary thread

jagle

jagle

Id put the intake on the bottom, Exhaust on the top.

(EDIT thought you were on about the room intakes/exhaust not the filters)

Id hang the carbon filter on the top left, or right corner of that room, with the fan attached to the wall pushing the air out and the filter either connected to the fan directly, or with some ducting.

horizontal carbon filter with some duct running to the fan is what i would do.

the more ducting the higher rating the fan will have to be.

do you know the cfm of the fan? does it correlate with your grow space taking into consideration the carbon filter slowing down air flow.

J

JonathonStrange

cfm 104 2x2 room it is tall about 7 feet. i think i can fasten the fan to tube. just for ease can i hang it above the light. I figure i can bunji cord it too eye hooks holding the lights and reposition as plants grow. that would put it more or less in the center of space. Or do I realy want it off of center. the filter has an opean end and a meshed end. Would you put the fan so it is pulling air threw the fan from mesh side to fan? is the point to move air around while filtering it as well right?

thanks Jagle
JS

jagle

jagle

ok the fan is plenty strong.

id hang it above the lights, the warm air with the smell will rise up into the filter.
and then raise it as you raise your lights, id keep it 12-18 inchs maybe 24 off the light.

again you dont need the filter on so turn it off now to save it. it will run out and need replacing after a while.

fan at the open end

J

JonathonStrange

thank you so much....since it does not fit into the filter should i try to metal screw the fan into the filter or would that damage filter...shame to turn it off filters smoke oders great lol. that was really helpfull thanks again

jagle

jagle

id use a small length of ducting maybe. you could get connectors each end that are the right sizes at diy shops. ventilation stores where ever you know

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I am not trying to piss on your parade but I have never seen a fan like that used for a Carbon filter setup.

Wondering how much you paid for that fan? What was your budget for the fan or did you have one? Only reason I am asking is due to you telling the shop worker to "hook me up" has me thinking he was trying to off that fan for some reason.
Most of the time I usually see people using Inline fans or Squirrel Cage fans.

If it were me, I would take that fan back. I would go with a inline fan or a Squirrel cage fan (blower fan) the fan you have I do not believe is made to be ran with pressure. It would work great for a intake fan.

If you are stuck with the fan, I would make it air tight as possible to the Carbon Filter. The Silver Metal duct tape works great for this purpose.

Tape the crap out of it so it is air tight. Hang it closest to the top of the tent as you can. Try and run a straight line of ducting if possible. With the Filter being only 17" you could possibly run the filter/fan vertical so the ducting is going straight out the top, or if it is designed to go out the side run it horizontal. My whole point is try and get the ducting straight without any bends.
You probably would get better cooling and filtration if you put the fan at the very end of the ducting so it is just sucking air out and has no restriction of ducting in front to slow it down. This is probably your best way if you choose to use that fan.

Also not sure if you have a Home Depot but you can inline Duct Fan Booster for around $15-20 online and a 6" for $20-35 http://www.google.com/products/cata...ei=jZZMToaQNMfKiAKiyul8&sqi=2&ved=0CFMQ8wIwAA

Anyway I wish you luck and hope it works out for you.

jagle

jagle

i agree with smokey503ski.

but i think this filter with the mesh bottom would be for scrubbing not exhausting outta the room, and op never mentioned exhausting outta the room and i gave him the benefit of the doubt

J

JonathonStrange

there realy is no where to duct it to. its intent was to scrub . when i asked the store guy price was never an issuse. i asked what the best combo to remove odor. its an apt so i dont want to cut holes. i can work with temp as long as there is zero odors. i know this will probley mean some ona canisters/deoderizors. Trust me i can ducktape till the cows come home lol. the reason i asked was someone else told me it looked like an odd combination of fan and filter.
there policy is all sales final....unfortunitly so will make the best of it

A

armoured

You need to pull all tent air thru that filter , soooo the opening by the flang is the ducting you need. Buy or put your blower fan in a box , so air is being in !!! :sad0104:

Top Bottom