Help with choosing 2 lights for 2x4

• Thread starter onTheGreenMountain
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
onTheGreenMountain

onTheGreenMountain

The title kind of says it. I have a 2x4 tent that needs lights. I specifically want 2 lights BC I may build a divider in the tent in the future for 2 2x2 spaces and will need independent lights..

I've been racking my brain on comparing lights. For the $$ it looks like my best bet for the 2x4 might be 2x Viparspectra p2000 lights?

Can someone convince me to go with another SF setup or maybe Mars Hydro? The comparable Spider farmer, the SF-2000 w/ dimmer and daisy is $90 more than the Spectra, but dont they both use Samsung? To get a SF setup in the same price range, I would have to go with 4x base model sf-1000 (no dimmer no daisy).

The Mars Hydro TS1000 is about the same price as the Spectra..

Input por favor?

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I have two Viparspectra XS2000s in my 2x4 tent. They probably have too much power for the tent. So far, I haven't run them higher than about 50%. The picture shows that I have a power meter on each light. I use them to set the level. Any setting higher than 140 watts per light tends to light stress the plants. 140 watts is about 35 watts per square foot. The meters read about 240 watts when set to 100%.

I also added 80 mm computer fans to the tops of the lights to keep them cool, and they make a big difference.

The only problem I'm having is they a tight fit and I tend to bump the dimmer knobs and change the setting when I'm opening or closing the tent. For the next grow, I'll probably turn them sideways. I'm thinking the light dispersion might be better that way, too.

Viparspectra is upgrading the XS2000 model (and other models). The new version has the ability to daisy chain the lights. That means one dimmer can control more than one light. It also means they're discounting the version I have. The discounted prices are tempting.

onTheGreenMountain

onTheGreenMountain

I have two Viparspectra XS2000s in my 2x4 tent. They probably have too much power for the tent. So far, I haven't run them higher than about 50%. The picture shows that I have a power meter on each light. I use them to set the level. Any setting higher than 140 watts per light tends to light stress the plants. 140 watts is about 35 watts per square foot. The meters read about 240 watts when set to 100%.

I also added 80 mm computer fans to the tops of the lights to keep them cool, and they make a big difference.

The only problem I'm having is they a tight fit and I tend to bump the dimmer knobs and change the setting when I'm opening or closing the tent. For the next grow, I'll probably turn them sideways. I'm thinking the light dispersion might be better that way, too.

Viparspectra is upgrading the XS2000 model (and other models). The new version has the ability to daisy chain the lights. That means one dimmer can control more than one light. It also means they're discounting the version I have. The discounted prices are tempting.

View attachment 1321092

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at the new models that daisy chain. That way I can run them together or independent. I was hoping to hear from someone who had them.

You said they were a bit intense for the tent size.. Wondering if maybe a step down would be better? I dont want to short myself either though..

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Two TS1000 lights would work.

I have one in a 3x3, mostly for mom plants. It is too small for that tent for flower, but a 2x2 space would be great.

An HLG 150 might be a better choice.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

You said they were a bit intense for the tent size.. Wondering if maybe a step down would be better? I don't want to short myself either though..
Too much is better than too little. Lights need to be matched to the grow space, IMO.

The XS1500 lights are rated at 150 watts, which might be better for a 2x4 tent. I originally bought my lights for a 4x4 tent.

Per @Shaded_One's advice, bar lights are worth considering. I believe that they have better dispersion of the light. I chose to use two lights for the better dispersion. The light from panel-type lights is most intense directly below the light, so that's the best spot for the plant. Bar lights may be better when growing more than a few plants, also IMO.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Too much is better than too little. Lights need to be matched to the grow space, IMO.

The XS1500 lights are rated at 150 watts, which might be better for a 2x4 tent. I originally bought my lights for a 4x4 tent.

Per @Shaded_One's advice, bar lights are worth considering. I believe that they have better dispersion of the light. I chose to use two lights for the better dispersion. The light from panel-type lights is most intense directly below the light, so that's the best spot for the plant. Bar lights may be better when growing more than a few plants, also IMO.

Better/more even dispersed light and can also be kept closer to the plants due to no "hot spots" which is ideal for a closet grow or anywhere with limited height. I grow in a closet for reference :p

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Can someone convince me to go with another SF setup or maybe Mars Hydro?
Not sure to many people here will try to sell you on mars hydro gear. Very unreliable, dangerous, and horrible customer service, stay away at all measures lol. Had 2 catch fire on me.

I see shaded one put in the g4500, which is what id have if i had a 2x4.

Check out phlizon grow lights too. They have some pretty quality lights pretty cheap. I have the 450w pl4500 and couldnt be happier with the performance in a 4x4. (If you use them use the code PHTHCFARMER8 for 8% off your order)

If i may ask, whats the reasoning for dividing the tent? Only ask because imho, a 2x2 is like a seed starter/cloning/mom tent.

onTheGreenMountain

onTheGreenMountain

Designed for a 4x2 and it's a bar light, best bet imo.

Better/more even dispersed light and can also be kept closer to the plants due to no "hot spots" which is ideal for a closet grow or anywhere with limited height. I grow in a closet for reference :p

My original plan was a light bar. But then I thought I might want to divide the tent into 2 2x2 grow spaces and would need independent lights for that. My grow room is setup with 2 tents and a DIY box that I can move around and reconfigure so I don't want to be stuck with 1 large light (yet)

I think I'll compare the Spetra and Mars a little more and pick one. Thanks for the replies

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

I agree with the above post. Stay away from mars for the exact reasons goodshit stated. Unreliable and crap customer service. I had 8 mars ts 1000 die within a month of the warranty expiring. Spider farmer is way better for the price point. I’ve been running kingbrites for about 3-4 years and have had zero problems. Similar cost and top shelf components.

onTheGreenMountain

onTheGreenMountain

Not sure to many people here will try to sell you on mars hydro gear. Very unreliable, dangerous, and horrible customer service, stay away at all measures lol. Had 2 catch fire on me.

I see shaded one put in the g4500, which is what id have if i had a 2x4.

Check out phlizon grow lights too. They have some pretty quality lights pretty cheap. I have the 450w pl4500 and couldnt be happier with the performance in a 4x4. (If you use them use the code PHTHCFARMER8 for 8% off your order)

If i may ask, whats the reasoning for dividing the tent? Only ask because imho, a 2x2 is like a seed starter/cloning/mom tent.
possibly just doing different things. With scrogging you can fit a lot into a 2x2 area.. this is my current 2x2 tent scrog..

20230113 095424

Latest posts

Top Bottom