Help with cloning

• Thread starter Dabberguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dabberguy

Dabberguy

I’ve been having trouble rooting clones and keeping them healthy. They generally have been taking me 3 weeks plus and have only had 50% success rates. I started trying different things like had 4 fluorescent bulbs dropped it down to 2. Switched from grodan to oasis cubes hoping that would help. Also just started using heat mats to try and keep temperatures from fluctuating as much when lights are off. I always end up with plants yellowing and dying before roots develop any tips or advice would help.

Help with cloning
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
What’s the temps and humidity been at? Are you using RO water or reg tap?
What clone gel/powder you using?
What’s the light distance?
Don’t use t5, they are for veg
Get the cheapest fluorescent light fixture and they do better at 24” above canopy
Use the heat mat if it’s cold.
temps I run 78-89dgf at probe being on center of the tray
And I use a dome lid 7 days on with burp every day for 15 mins
After 7 days lids stay off with humidity in room at 79-85%
Usually they root in 8-10 in rapid rooter
Grodan blocks suck for clones they are better for plugin into once rooted. Cut the center out and put my rapid rooter and they work fine but better if they start in glass cubes.
also the parent / mother plant matters as well before you even attempt cloning.
Health and feed etc; whole topic on this !

Dabberguy

Dabberguy

What’s the temps and humidity been at? Are you using RO water or reg tap?
What clone gel/powder you using?
What’s the light distance?
Don’t use t5, they are for veg
Get the cheapest fluorescent light fixture and they do better at 24” above canopy
Use the heat mat if it’s cold.
temps I run 78-89dgf at probe being on center of the tray
And I use a dome lid 7 days on with burp every day for 15 mins
After 7 days lids stay off with humidity in room at 79-85%
Usually they root in 8-10 in rapid rooter
Grodan blocks suck for clones they are better for plugin into once rooted. Cut the center out and put my rapid rooter and they work fine but better if they start in glass cubes.
also the parent / mother plant matters as well before you even attempt cloning.
Health and feed etc; whole topic on this !
temp and humidity has kinda fluctuated in the room, around 60-70 degrees, so i bought heat mats and the thermostat for them. the humidity in the air is like 50% in there so i have been leaving dome on longer than 7 days, been leaving it on until i see roots. I use a green knight dechlorinator for the water. I use clonex gel, with the lights 12" above canopy. also if you could send link to the topic you are talking about if you can. thanks

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

I'm not 100% sure but I think you may be keeping them too moist as they are quite yellow. I never used a dome and had over 90% succes after I got a heat mat, I use clonex and any medium that's handy and i just mist the leaves lightly 2-3 times a day

Dabberguy

Dabberguy

I have only watered them once since the initial soak and have only been misting like once a day after i take dome off for awhile. i did just get the heat mats though yesterday so maybe ill try again and see if it goes faster.

THCMonster

THCMonster

Spray them with 150-200ppm of nutrients and they will stay green from start to finish.

When you take a cutting from the mother since the "soon to be clone" has no roots it cant get any nutrients from anywhere so 9/10 they start yellowing cause they are using the nutrients inside their system for energy. The only way for cuttings to get any nutrients without roots is through the leaves!

Just any grow nutrient will work.

Its makes a huge difference!

Dabberguy

Dabberguy

Spray them with 150-200ppm of nutrients and they will stay green from start to finish.

When you take a cutting from the mother since the "soon to be clone" has no roots it cant get any nutrients from anywhere so 9/10 they start yellowing cause they are using the nutrients inside their system for energy. The only way for cuttings to get any nutrients without roots is through the leaves!

Just any grow nutrient will work.

Its makes a huge difference!
I have been spraying with clonex clone solution so ill try to use some of the veg nutrient with that ppm

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Both rockwool and those oasis cubes hold too much water. I've had the best results cloning with Rapid rooters or root riots. Basically the same as how Jack og described, except I keep my temps in the dome closer to 75f.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Both rockwool and those oasis cubes hold too much water. I've had the best results cloning with Rapid rooters or root riots. Basically the same as how Jack og described, except I keep my temps in the dome closer to 75f.
I just started using Rockwool and not a fan. The jiffy pellets worked better. The Rockwool stays way to wet

mancorn

mancorn

I always enjoy reading the different techniques (albeit they're often completely contradictory). I'm no expert (so follow my advice if you also have a shit setup 😀) but I don't mist the plants after the first day or two, just the dome, and keep my light levels ridiculous low (like light from a window). I think you can use a ton of light, but only if everything is dialed in (which I'm not). I use the Rockwool, but never the hole (I turn it over and use the bottom side and off set the plant, so it's not getting into the hole on bottom.) I keep the Rockwool out of the water and never top water. The water is down in the grooves of the tray but never in contact with the cubes. Most of this water in the tray just comes from the misting as the water rolls off the dome and collects in the tray.

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

Is it always the same strain that you are having difficulties with ?

Dabberguy

Dabberguy

Is it always the same strain that you are having difficulties with ?
No not really its all of them of for the most part, some will take root faster than others but they all usually take me to long

damien50

damien50

No not really its all of them of for the most part, some will take root faster than others but they all usually take me to long

Not sure if you watched the video but he outlines a process for high rate success in cloning - maybe - but I'm testing it myself.

Sharp blade to cut clones and not cause an embolism

Pre charged rockwool or whatever with
5:2 HUMIC to kelp, monoammonium phosphate, and weak nutrient solution

Put clones is around 75-80f with a dome for four days then start venting it.

I can't entirely remember but I believe he suggest 5:2 fulvic to kelp foliar as well. There's more to it but from what I understand there's a lot of prepping the mother to get clones that will root well.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Taking too long shouldent be a big concern , as long as they do actually root
A long time to me is around 15 to 18 days , so if its around that time , i wouldent worry much

Make sure not to leave the dome on without airing , venting every few days then constantly for next week to freshen air etc ...very important

damien50

damien50

yeah i watched it and am going to try using the kelp and phospate mixed in.

Customhydronutrients got me a 1lb of Fulvic, humic, kelp, ammonium nitrogen, monoammonium Phosphate, and potassium sulfate for under $60. They all need very little to do it but cheaper than buying from RAW for the same stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom