Help with coco grow

• Thread starter sampson4u
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sampson4u

These plants are about 3 weeks into flower under a 600 watt air cooled hps about 24" above plants. Room temp stays around 72. Humidity around 40. There being grown in 100% canna coco with canna nutes. I just did a flush with no change in the plants. PH is at 5.8 and at 700ppm of nutes. Canna A and B 5ml each pk14 at 3ml gal and calmag at 3ml gal. Any ideas about the yellowing would be helpful.

Help with coco grow
GodZsoN

GodZsoN

Just a guess.. Bump up cal mag 5-10 ml per gallon for like another week then cut out..

S

Snow Crash

I'd suggest dropping your EC to around 1.2, mix up your nutrients as you normally would but then add a little extra water to it to bring the EC down while maintaining the same ratios.

I've seen this appearance precede nutrient lockout due to high EC in the media. The next time you feed be sure to test the EC of the runoff. If your runoff is over 1.6ec then just keep using your nutrients until you get under 1.6ec. This will ensure the salts are washed out and that the element buffers are not depleted.

Clean water flushings and coco do not mesh well. It is ALWAYS better to use very low strength nutrients at the right ratio to ensure you don't wash out the micro-element buffer that helps maintain the CEC of the media.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

sampson4u,
5ml A&B for week 3 is way low. You should be more close to 10ml per gal. Cal Mag should be at least at 5ml per gal. Sometimes a little more, depending on strain. With Canna, you don't want to mix too light. Mix to what the chart asks for. You don't want to be afraid about giving them regular strength feedings. That was always my downfall too. Read the runoff every day. Then you learn your system. Once you start getting above the feed ppm then give them a lighter nute solution. More like Cal Mag water with 1/2 regular nutes. What exact ppm meter are you using? Are you 100% about if it is a .5 or .7 scale? You also want to get that humidity up. More like 60-70%.

-TF

S

Snow Crash

sampson4u,
5ml A&B for week 3 is way low. You should be more close to 10ml per gal. Cal Mag should be at least at 5ml per gal.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand EC or nutrient ratios.

10ml A+B with 5ml of Cal-Mag Plus is minimum 2.0EC plus the tap water.
The ratio is 8-5-4 in the 3rd week of flowering.

Guaranteed ppm's
N: 158
P: 105
K: 79
Ca: 158
Mg: 51

Contrastingly, I'd suggest a system that pushed a ratio more like 3-4-5 in coco for this stage of growth.

Sometimes a little more, depending on strain. With Canna, you don't want to mix light. Mix to what the chart asks for. You don't want to be afraid about giving them regular strength feedings. That was always my downfall too. Read the runoff every day. Then you learn your system. Once you start getting above the feed ppm then give them a lighter nute solution. More like Cal Mag water with 1/2 regular nutes. What exact ppm meter are you using? Are you 100% about if it is a .5 or .7 scale? You also want to get that humidity up. More like 70%.

-TF

I can get behind some of this... Although, I'd have to say that if you're going to supplement a 2-0-0 with 3% calcium and 1.5% magnesium to Canna Coco, which is already pretty rich in calcium and nitrogen, you can run into problems.

The problem with Canna Coco A+B is the lack of chelated iron. The lack of iron causes problems that the Cal-Mag Plus resolves (yellow new growth) as it contains some Iron EDTA. It is unfortunate, but after a lot of experience with the system, and input from hundreds of other growers, Canna Coco A+B on it's own lacks some elements. It requires supplementation, and when you start adding in supplements you need to then understand how you are altering the ratios.

You should not run full strength of a system and full strength of a supplement not designed to run with that system. It is far preferable to reduce each nutrient accordingly and to use the percentages given on the labels to determine a rough concept of how you have altered the ratios.

Here are some pictures to show a progression of what you're in the middle of. I have experience with this and I'm pretty sure I know what is going on here. If your plants look like this then don't let it go on too long. It starts out as just a little yellowing, then shifts into a magnesium issue, then becomes outright burn. All of this is a result of overfeeding and not enough runoff.

IMG 2340
IMG 2506
mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I'm using canna coco with no additives. Having great results. I use to run cal mag and other additives. I've had much better results running just a. And b. At higher rates. Works well for me. I feed with an e.c. of 1.2 - 1.6 depending on stage of flowering. Ive seen and smoked canna produced flowers from 2 other growers here that were great and they both grow differently than each other, and myself. I got something else that might blow your mind. I feed every time I water havnt checked runoff in over a year and I don't get runoff. Crazy , I know but the proof is in the pudding. I used to waste gallons of that a an b down the drain. No more.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
feed them!

IMO they look defecient ( iron ? ) shake nutes and mix with each nute added and go up 100 ppm till you get the little yellow tips then back off 100 ppm to find your plants peak performance ppm just my opinion
everybody grow everywhere!!!!!!!! :harvest:

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

One says overfed and under-flushed, another say underfed. Whichever way you go on this, it would be a great experiment to try the other guy's solution on just one plant.

I've seen some other threads lately that suggest calcium requirements rise quite a bit through the end of stretch and then returns to lower levels, whereas Mg's is low thru stretch and then climbs afterward. ... Interesting.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I'd say under fed as well. I'm running ro water in veg they get 7mls a and b per gallon 5 mls rhizo and on my reused coco 5 mls cannazyme. First watering in flower I bump up to 10 mls a and b 2 mls rhizo 5 mls canazyme. Then bump up to 12mls a and b drop the rhizo. By second week of flower up to 12 a and b 5 mls canazyme 10 mls boost . By week 3 14 mls a and b 5mls canazyme 10 mls boost. 4-5 week 14 mls a and b 5 mls canazyme 4 mls pk 13 / 14 10 mls boost. Week 6 through until flush,I do the same but drop the pk booster. I always ph 6.0, water till they drip a little then every fourth or fifth water I get bout 20 % runoff. I rarely exceed 1.6 E.C but most feeding are 1.2 - 1.6.My methods are always evolving but this is working extremely well for me. Remember what works for johnny might not work for Bill or Dave, you know what I'm saying.

S

sfzoo

I'm going w/ underfed too.
I'm using canna coco and nutes. supplement w/ calmag+
I also feed every single watering and have almost no runoff.

i've noticed that i'm usually around the recommended dosage when things get lush. However, i run pretty hot...the dripclean keeps me green! my ppms are ~1300 at peak

Snow, some interesting facts. Still trying to wrap my head around it.

S

swisscheese

Seems like they need more food from my limited experience with Canna. I've ran into similar problems and just have been pushing more A and B than I thought made sense (10ml/g) and the green came back.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand EC or nutrient ratios.

You may be correct, and I could be a complete idiot, but I can say that your condescending approach make you seem like a real jackass. You should be ashamed of yourself. If you have information or a differing opinions for all of us, please share. Just leave the belittlement at home.:)

Thanks,

-TF

S

Snow Crash

You may be correct, and I could be a complete idiot, but I can say that your condescending approach make you seem like a real jackass. You should be ashamed of yourself. If you have information or a differing opinions for all of us, please share. Just leave the belittlement at home.:)

Thanks,

-TF

I went to PM you because you have taken it personally and, as a personal matter, it should remain in personal messages rather than detracting from the overall message of the thread. I apologize for this distraction and would like to state: I have no interest in any further public argument on personal affairs.

When I have been granted the ability to PM I will do so accordingly. As someone with the ability in hand already I recommend to you that you follow suit and get with the program. Don't drag your drama out through the street; personal messages have their own special button.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

10 mls canna a and b and 5 mls botanicare calm plus per gallon of ro is 1.8 ec on the bluelab truncheon. A little high in my opinion but not crazy high for peak flowering. Way to much nitrogen though. Canna doesn't have a separate grow and bloom and from what I've experienced adding botanicsre calmg gave me too much N.

J

jacobgriis02

since he is adding pk to it shouldn't he back off his base nutes anyway?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I went to PM you because you have taken it personally and, as a personal matter, it should remain in personal messages rather than detracting from the overall message of the thread. I apologize for this distraction and would like to state: I have no interest in any further public argument on personal affairs.

When I have been granted the ability to PM I will do so accordingly. As someone with the ability in hand already I recommend to you that you follow suit and get with the program. Don't drag your drama out through the street; personal messages have their own special button.

Sounds cool to me. I really hold no beef. I just felt that the way you had stated yourself came across as unfriendly. Carry on please. Just since I was put off by your approach and called you on it does not mean that I will not be open to your opinions. I don't feel that it is being dramatic at all. Sorry if I made it seem tit for tat.

-TF

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Thanks,

-TF

+rep for the cool-headed response to an out-of-line slight.

I went to PM you because you have taken it personally and, as a personal matter, it should remain in personal messages ...

I recommend to you that you follow suit and get with the program. Don't drag your drama out through the street; personal messages have their own special button.

:sign0065:
Dude, it's one thing to be a know-it-all with 2 whole years experience in coco, but it's an entirely other to be a know-it-all jackass. I recommend you get with the program unless getting banned from the community is your goal here.

-rep for not playing nice.
:mad0233:

Top Bottom