Help with Coco, nutes and EC meter

• Thread starter magick81
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

magick81

Hi there,

Today I just transplanted one of my seedlings from soil, into nutrifield coco coir.
Also got nutrifields 2 part coco nutes which came highly recommended by the guy at my local hydroshop. Bought an EC pen also.

First of all, I have never used a 2 part nute before. Bottle says not to mix concentrate to prevent nute lockout.
Do I mix them separately and water separately? Or can I mix them once they are both diluted?

How do I prepare a 2 part nute solution for my plants? they are just in pots, not hydro system yet.
The bottle says 0.6 to 1.2 ec for seedlings and transplants.
It says the same thing on both bottles. Does each solution need to be between 0.6-1.2? Or is it 0.6-1.2 combined? Meaning I need to half the solutions.

lols, so confused, maybe i shoulda stuck to soil, but some of my plants were stunted.

Also, my EC meter is supposed to read in increments of 0.1 but when i tested it there were no decimal points. Am I reading it right? Or do i need to multiply or divide the number to get the ec. A number 100 flashes on the screen for a second when i turn it on. If that means anything i dunno

Lols, sorry for the noob questions. I'm starting to think i shoulda stuck with soil, but my friends have had great results. too bad theyre not avail to help me at the moment.

Cheers
MagickZ

S

Shamanfarmer

add equal amounts of both to your water until the desired ec is reached.
Read the instruction sheet for your ec meter.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

For a 2 part You have to add the desired amount of Part 1 or part A first and allow it to mix before adding the second part. If the nutes mix before dilution, they will bind and will be of no use. Also, I didn't see if you mentioned a Ph meter. IMO Ph meter is way more important than a ppm meter (which I don't really use that often unless there is a problem that i am trying to figure out. Concerning the ec meter, without more info it is impossible to help. The guys at the store you got it from should know when in doubt. Fuck soil, I think coco is just as or more user friendly then soil and the yield increase helps to offset your noobness. Also I will tell you now something that you should take note of.

Environmental controls are about 10x as important as nutrients you feed.

It is everyone's tendency to focus on the plant food but the environment is what separates the men from the boys so to speak

M

magick81

Thanks for the replies guys.
I was previously using my ph test drop and ph down from my aquarium lols.
But after switching to coco, I realized that the lowest ph reading on the chart was 6.2 :(
So I went out and bought some proper hydro ph down and a Ph meter today.

Just one question. I currently have my plants in regular pots sitting on saucers. I have added a top layer of clay balls to keep the bugs out, as I did have some flies living in my soil before I switched.

Anyways, how often should I water? I cannot stick my finger in to test moisture due to the clay balls. Also, the bottom trays are half full of water. Should I let the pots sit in it? Will the coco suck the water up when it dries? Its not a self watering pot, just a regular. Should I remove the excess water. Being under the lights are they susceptible to algae bloom.
Cheers
MagickXZ

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

You want the pot to drain freely, especially while they are young. Each time you water aim for 10-20% runoff out of the bottom of the plant. If you let them sit in water you will create an anerobic condition witch invites disease and stops root growth.

M

magick81

many thanks :D
I really like the forum, here, although the first posts being moderated is a drag when your in a hurry for an answer, lol

Top Bottom