Help With Electrical Wiring for Fan Speed Controller Needed !

• Thread starter BoogerGreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BoogerGreen

Right I have a 150mm insulated Ruck Box, and have just bought a RE 3 Transformer which is a
Manual five-step transformer

(Here is the Manufacturers Description)
A single-phase transformer which controls the fan speed by altering the supply voltage in five fixed steps. The steps are adjusted manually, using the control knob on the front of the unit. The transformer has 230V terminals for operating dampers, electric heater batteries or other external equipment. When the transformer knob is in position 0, the outlet has no current. The indicator lamp on the front shows that the transformer is in operation. The fuse may be reset from outside. The RE has a selfextinguishing thermoplastic casing.

Technical parameters
Item
Parameter Value Unit
Voltage 230 V
Phase 1 ~
Frequency 50/60 Hz
Current 3 A
Enclosure class 54 IP
Weight 2,5 kg
Width 105 mm
Height 200 mm
Deep 105 mm
Wiring
Transmisson Supply Earth Fan
voltage

Transmisson:between ~ and N is always 230V when the transformer handle is in pos. 1-5

OK so on the wiring section there are 9 places where wires can be input, I cant upload the PDF, so I will list them, but also if you are willing to go to the systemair site here

and navigate to
Electrical Accessories Ventilation->
Speed Controls, Electronic ->
RE ->
and then hit the
RE 3 Transformer link on the right side and then hit the wiring link and it will show you what I am trying to explain, unfortunately the way the systemair website is layed out it wont let you copy a direct link to that page.

Basically there are 9 spots, from left to right, with a description of the symbols next to it:

relay connection(arrow down) - (Squigly sign, I assume its positive?)

relay connection(arrow down) - N (neutral)

mains(arrow up) - N (neutral)

mains(arrow up) - (Squigly sign, I assume its positive?)

earth -

earth -

earth -

fan(arrow down) - N (neutral)

fan(arrow down) - (Squigly sign with an arrow pointing up towards the right, I assume its positive?)

I hope that has been descriptive enough, but it might be easier to look at the diagram on the systemair website.

My main concern is about the relay connection??? And Also what the squigly line with the arrow through it means? I am thinking that I can hook up a power cable from the socket to the mains arrow up ones, and an earth, and then hook up the fan(arrow down ones) and an earth connecting up to the fan, job done, but I am just concerned about the relay connections including the extra earth for it. Is the relay connection just to hook it up to other units or something, can I just completely disregard it, and do what I have said above??? I just dont want to fry this fan speed controller or my fan really?!!!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated! I really need to get this wired up and need some help/advice!!!

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

squiggly lines are "phase" or "hot" . Earth is ground. "Mains" are incoming from pannel. BE CAREFULL

B

BoogerGreen

squiggly lines are "phase" or "hot" . Earth is ground. "Mains" are incoming from pannel. BE CAREFULL

Thanks for replying so quick, what is a squigly line with an arrow pointing diagonally up to the right, and what is the difference between that and a normal squigly line?

Also, can I just ignore the relay connection for that fan speed controller?

Cheers

B

BoogerGreen

Nice One, so the squigly with arrow thru it is just the hot going back to the fan then. Can I just disregard the relay connection then and just connect the input to the incoming power and the output/fan to the fan ?
Thanks man

B

BoogerGreen

If you check out the RE3 wiring diagram on the systemair site it shows the wiring diagram which has the relay connection pos and N going out, both on the left of the block, and then an extra ground to accomodate it as well? Can I just ignore these? THCfarmer says I am too new of a user to reply to private messages????

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

If you're only using this for fan then only connect there. Leave relay empty

J

Jalisco Kid

I can not give out electrical work as it is just too dangerous. If I was you I would have everything to do the job sitting in front of me and call a factory tech and have him walk you through it. JK

B

BoogerGreen

If you're only using this for fan then only connect there. Leave relay empchable plug so tty

Thanks dr , i already wired it , leaving the relay empty with an extra detachable plug on it, so that it is not permanently connected to the fan and can be detached, and the fan can be run without the speed controller if required, now all I got to do is change the plug that is wired to the fan at the moment to a connector bit rather than a wall socket which I wired on there originally! Thanks for your help!

Top Bottom