Help with Electrical!

• Thread starter Lostin420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Lostin420

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

I just started my scene. I have 3 thouies and a 600 on my one 240V 30Amp circuit. Up to now (due to temp issues), I've only been running the two thouies and the 600. Finally figured out the temp issue, now trying to get my fourth working. Plugged in all four, and it ran fine for a few hours...sometime in the night it tripped my circuit breaker. I flipped it back on and all four ran fine for about an hour after they came on, but then flipped the breaker again.

I should be under my Amps/Volts for this circuit...also, if I was over my load, wouldn't it have shut off immediately upon powering up #4??

Everything is connected with 10 Guage wiring, so I shouldn't be over my load with the wiring either.

Not sure what to do here. Can't find any issues in the wiring, and the independent setup (electrical box) was used elsewhere previously for WAY more load than I am currently running. Any ideas or suggestions??

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

stupid question but are you positive it's a 30A breaker? Since it's a 220VAC line i'm assuming there are no other fans or anything ran off of it and it's a dedicated circuit for the room. Are the ballasts magnetic or digital? I've heard of magnetic ballasts pulling more amps than intended as they get old.

You should be only pulling about 17Amps ( (1000/220) *3 + 600/220 = 16.36A). Even with initial start up surge you shouldn't be popping a 30A breaker. I'm thinking maybe one of the ballasts has an issue. Are all lights lighting up the same?

hiboy

hiboy

Ya i got 6 even on my 30. Course its all in metal with no romex,plastic boxes, etc and its surface mnt and clean.

Maybe a faulty breaker

Defective plugged in device

Loose connection but less likely

U

Underground

Fuse each ballast individually. You probably got one getting ready to take a shit. And I'd assume it's the one you just connected. When they are fused individually one light won't take out all the rest.

Top Bottom