Help with electronic ballast 120v or 240v

• Thread starter Venom818
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Venom818

Venom818

which is better and why one of my boys said it runs smoother on 240v what do you guys think ?

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

I'm not sure of the tech stuff in regards to being smoother but i like 240 just because i can run more ballasts. Using 240 lets me do up to 8 ballasts w/ a 40 amp breaker compared to only normally getting 3 maybe 4 if you were pushing it on a 120v system and had 2 20 amp breakers.

Venom818

Venom818

I'm not sure of the tech stuff in regards to being smoother but i like 240 just because i can run more ballasts. Using 240 lets me do up to 8 ballasts w/ a 40 amp breaker compared to only normally getting 3 maybe 4 if you were pushing it on a 120v system and had 2 20 amp breakers.

thnx bro,anybody else that can lend a helping hand

B

Buddy Flowers

never heard of anything being smoother but you can run more lights off of 240 because the amperage output is cut in half

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Basically if you running 240 then your using half the amps you would be if you were running 120. The only time I would do this is if I was running a large grow or if I had to run a new circuit to my closet because I was popping breakers. At that point you might as well run it if you want, or if your running more than one light. What happens with 240 is you run two 120 to the plug instead of a 120 and a neutral, you get one 120 from each leg on your pannel. People think it saves them money on electricity but I have yet to hear someone explain this in a way I understand. If any thing there is less resistance/heat in the wire. Plus I guess you can save money on wire and breakers since you can run a thinner cauge wire since you using less amps, on long runs this would really save some cash. Hope this helps

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
240v is better imo. I ran both and feel like my ballast runs a little easier and cooler on 240v. No real advantage to 240 though until you get into multi light set-ups. 4k on a 30amp 240v power supply. One timer box with no plastic junk timers and or extention cords in the way. Thats hard to do with 120v.

fred

hiboy

hiboy

240v is my choice, easier to assemble (smaller wire, more lights per breakers) i think motors run smoother on 240v, ballasts may be that way also.

Top Bottom