Help with Germinating Auto-flowers Hydroponically...

• Thread starter PianoStan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PianoStan

PianoStan

I'm brand new to growing. Haven't even started germinating my first seed yet.
I have everything that I need to get going, and am about to start out with a NORTHERN LIGHTS AUTOFLOWER grow. The site where I purchased my seeds suggests germinating auto-flowers in the final pot in order to avoid any stress from transplanting that can hurt the short life cycle of an auto-flower. All fine and well, at least in theory.

For my hydroponic pot, I have the standard 5 gallon bucket with a top drip feed, and I intend to mix expanded ceramic pebbles and coco coir mixed with mycorrhizal to surround the plant. For the actual germination, I have a peat moss starter plug that I will soak in a weak nutrient solution. From what I have read, it is worse to overwater (or feed) germinating seeds. Now my concern is that the coco will leach moisture away from the plug and the seed, hurting my chances of a successful germination.

Ultimately, my question is:
Should I turn the drip feeder on in order to keep the coco wet, or will that provide too much water and/or nutrients to the still fragile seed?

With a secondary question of:
Should I start the 18/6 light cycle immediately with germination, or wait a couple of days in order to give the seed some time to do its thing first?
I ask that because the grow guide that I read said that germinating seeds like the dark.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Growing in Coco is not hard, but you need to educate yourself before jumping in blind, best advice is go check out Coco for Cannabis.
Spend 2 weeks studying and watching his videos. You will be ready to pop some beans in the ground before you know it.
https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/principles-fertigation-feed-water-cannabis-coco/

Make sure you have a PH meter and an E.C meter so you can keep an eye on what you cannot see.
If I could offer you one peace of advice it would be Keep your grow hands on. No automation. Water buy hand when the plant needs it. Not on a schedule. Keep it as simple as you can. Take great care when measuring and mixing nutrients.
They are powerful. Don't forget us at the farm. We will be looking forward to seeing your first grow come together.
Ron

Last edited:
Choppr

Choppr

Pre Moisten all of the Coco Prior to germination, the entire pot, mix up 1 gal water pH to 5.5-5.7, add 2 ml of cal/mag - you may not need the whole gal, you want all of the coco moistened making sure no dry spots, lightly moistened not wet! they wont need nutrients for up to10+ days. Plant your germinated seedling and only 2 ounces of water every few days, water a 1/2" away from the seedling to avoid damping-off.
and like @Imzzaudae said read!

https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/toc/#fertilizers-water

read it twice! buy premium coco only! Right-On...

PianoStan

PianoStan

Pre Moisten all of the Coco Prior to germination, the entire pot, mix up 1 gal water pH to 5.5-5.7, add 2 ml of cal/mag - you may not need the whole gal, you want all of the coco moistened making sure no dry spots, lightly moistened not wet! they wont need nutrients for up to10+ days. Plant your germinated seedling and only 2 ounces of water every few days, water a 1/2" away from the seedling to avoid damping-off.
and like @Imzzaudae said read!

https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/toc/#fertilizers-water

read it twice! buy premium coco only! Right-On...
Thank you for the advice. I definitely have, do, and will continue to read. Although that blog is new to me so I will definitely read.

PianoStan

PianoStan

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Growing in Coco is not hard, but you need to educate yourself before jumping in blind, best advice is go check out Coco for Cannabis.
Spend 2 weeks studying and watching his videos. You will be ready to pop some beans in the ground before you know it.
https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/principles-fertigation-feed-water-cannabis-coco/

Make sure you have a PH meter and an E.C meter so you can keep an eye on what you cannot see.
If I could offer you one peace of advice it would be Keep your grow hands on. No automation. Water buy hand when the plant needs it. Not on a schedule. Keep it as simple as you can. Take great care when measuring and mixing nutrients.
They are powerful. Don't forget us at the farm. We will be looking forward to seeing your first grow come together.
Ron
I do have pH and EC meters. I had read that coco can need to be watered every day, but that germinating seeds definitely will NOT like that. That was what led to my confusion.

Top Bottom