Help with hydrofarm light rail

• Thread starter bdawgburner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bdawgburner

I have a 6 ft hydrofarm light rail and the piece that connects the chain to the carriage came disconnected from the chain and I cant seem to figure out how to reattach it. I dont know if its a stoner moment but I've tried string and it tears and a small ziptie makes the chain skip off the sproket piece. I just loaded both of my tables and need this light up and running. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

sky high

sky high

This is a notorious break for these units. WHY they continue to sell them with this problem is beyond me. (OK, not really, they are profiteers)

how long have you had it? I would try to take it back if it is anywhere near the warranty period and ask yer hydro guy to help you out. Store owners KNOW of this problem...as does HF. At the very least...try to get a credit on what you spent for tyhe unti on a Light Rail unit. They are wheel driven, not chain driven...will last longer and aren't near as noisy.

I know that isn't a quick fix.....

Be careful. Lots of folks have had these units DROP on their garden......

good luck s h

B

bdawgburner

Oh wow, thanks. I ended up opening one of the links putting the metal piece that moves the carriage inside the link and closed it up. its working fine now. Ill have to keep an eye on it though. My store is over an hour away and I just dont have time to get there now.

E

easypleasie

If you're using yo-yos with your mover, i'd recommend adding an extra support cable just to be safe. Make sure the rail is mounted solid! I've had it fall on my sog before. Completely fried my plants as the hood was just sitting on them for who knows how long.

B

bdawgburner

Im just using the chain n hooks that came with it since I can raise it higher with that than with yo-yo's. I think its pretty secure and Im just using a PL reflector so its REALLY light weight. How did you hang yours that caused it to fall? I just used the screws that came with it and it seems sturdy but now you guys have me wondering how sturdy it really is. I guess only time will tell. I think I'll swap it for a light rail system after this run though. Thanks for the help everyone.

E

easypleasie

I have a xxxl magnum hood which has a bit of weight to it. I mounted the rail to a 2x6 piece of wood and that got mounted to roof trusses. My problem was I didn't mount the 2x6 wood securely to the roof trusses. The drywall screws were not long enough (or strong enough) and one side came off and caused the whole thing to come down. I replaced them with heavy duty lag screws and it's not going anywhere now! A slight oversight on my part and it crashed and burned :(.

I'm not using that room anymore but my new veg room is using another mover with chains and yo-yos. I like being able to easily raise the hood but it wasn't long enough so I added lengths of chain. I also have chains to catch it if the yo-yos give out, which has also happened. safe than sorry, my friend! You shouldn't have a problem with light weight hoods but never hurts to add a little precaution.

Latest posts

Top Bottom