Help with increasing the humidity during winter?

• Thread starter Phate008
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Phate008

Phate008

This might be the first Boron deficiency I have seen. It's ticking all the boxes. I suggest you have a read about that.

How often are you saturating them? I'm not sure what you are growing in, but the signs point towards a lack of watering.
That could definitely be contributing. I'm still trying to find the balance in watering and how much. I don't want to over water but since transplanting last week into 5 gallon I have probably been under watering. Last week when I transplanted the soil was soaking wet in the bag from the nursery. Happy frog for 2 and ocean forest for the other 3. The set of 3 had the saturated soil so I only lightly watered them, and watered the other 2. I waited for the soil to try and watered a little over 1 quart per plant the next 2 times which was about every 2-3 days. Then earlier today I gave them a good watering and split approx 3 gallons between the 5 plants. Hoping to see an improvement by tomorrow with 75f temp, 55 humidity, and a solid watering.

Phate008

Phate008

Also just read this "Boron deficiencies are more likely to appear when a plant is underwatered or experiencing very low humidity (very dry air)." Seems likely.

Out of curiosity what would any of you suggest for watering plants at this stage in 5 gallon pots. Just an estimate of how much water I should be aiming for. A gallon per pot, 1/2 gallon?

Phate008

Phate008

This nursery is actually usually pretty good with prices, but they won't allow customers to take the dirt themselves. You pay for what you want and then they send workers over to lift it and put it in your car. The bags are kept on pallets under tarps so I would have assumed they'd be dry, but when I took them out of the car a couple days later they were very heavy. Only 3 of the 5 bags were wet. I transplanted them with mycorrhizae and watered lightly for the first time. I don't water till runoff so I should probably start to now. I usually would just water a particular amount and then when the top 2 inches were dry then water again. I realize now that they probably haven't been getting fully saturated to the bottom. Tomorrow I am going to try a gallon each as all I have right now that is dechlorinated is a 5 gallon bucket full. Reading around online people say that is it typical to water about half of the capacity of the pot so for 5 gallons it would be 2-2.5 gallons.

There is definitely some issues going on with 2 of them, but the other 3 look fairly good and healthy. My only problem is that they are growing very very thick and bushy. This may be a good thing, but they are very dense and stiff. The leaves have 1/4" stems and the main stem is about 1/2". There are a lots of shoots, but the leaves and stiffness of the plant makes it hard for them to get good light to grow out of the shade. Being that its 6 weeks old I wanted to take some clones and throw them into flower around 3-5 weeks from now. I am nervous about taking the clones though as I've only done this with this skimpy branches. That's part of the reason why I was asking for advice on how to get it to grow taller. I want to add some length and take off some girth.

Top Bottom