Help with jumping bugs in coco

• Thread starter Akabudz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Akabudz

Akabudz

Evening farmers, just came to feed my plant and noticed little white jumping ( crawl very fast so could not get a picture) they are around 1mm in length, run fast, and jump. They came to the top when watering then dived back underneath the coco. Short video of the little fekas.
I'm in UK, any idea what they are and how to kill them? No pests on leaves or branches what so ever.
Any help appreciated.

Akabudz

Akabudz

Ps, I'm growing organic, so would like to keep the mycros if possible.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Springtails. Harmless but a nuisance as there can be a lot of them. They are common in topsoil by the thousands. They eat decaying matter only. They are attracted to the moisture and organics breaking down.

i had them in Ocean forest but went away with pro mix. Nothing to eat.

with coco being wet all the time they love it.

30roll

30roll

Bastards!

Creepshow8

Akabudz

Akabudz

Hi Mimed, thanks for popping in, there are lots of them lol, yes I read that they are harmless, however any idea how to get rid of them.?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hi Mimed, thanks for popping in, there are lots of them lol, yes I read that they are harmless, however any idea how to get rid of them.

nothing kills them but harsh pesticides and if its still wet now that they know they will likely come back. Dry pots with no organics is all that worked for me.

Plenty of good info out there though from university pages to Orkin pest control. Search and read...

Akabudz

Akabudz

Thanks, i will read up on them now some more, I read that baking soda will kill them, however I haven't a clue if baking soda would harm my plant

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks, i will read up on them now some more, I read that baking soda will kill them, however I haven't a clue if baking soda would harm my plant

baking soda is basically salt. Not recommended.

not sure if h2o2 (peroxide) works. It killed my root aphid larvae and didnt hurt the plants. But you cant keep doing that it will hurt them if too much.

Akabudz

Akabudz

No problem, thanks for your help, I had a mini seizure when I initially seen them lol, I will not sleep better tonight 👍

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I had them by the billions in my recent organic grow. I know theyre harmless, but i dont like it.

They can heavily populate rockwool and coco too and are a bit more aggressive on the root systems in rockwool, since there is no other organics to feed on, but they love the wet conditions.

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
Would a thick layer of decorative stones keep them away... Or at least you won't see them :-)

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
What about spraying the soil with crushed garlic water?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Would a thick layer of decorative stones keep them away... Or at least you won't see them :-)

I doubt it.

What about spraying the soil with crushed garlic water?

Again, I doubt it. Their populations get so enormous in coco or organic that they would be very difficult to eradicate with biological repellants or pesticides. I did quite a bit of reading about them a month or so ago and it seems like there are only a couple insecticides that will kill them, but i would NEVER recommend using it just for springtails.

Akabudz

Akabudz

Thanks for all info, no effect to plant as of yet, she is good, just shit meself when I first seen them lol

Akabudz

Akabudz

Hi all,
OK these little fekas are doing my head in. There are millions of them.
I want to add hydrogen peroxide to hopefully kill them off.
I don't mind starting over with my beanys .
I have 12% peroxide, what amount do I mix to make up 1 gallon of peroxide mix to hopefully get rid.?
Thanks

Top Bottom