Help with leaves clawing in flood and drain...

• Thread starter Ninjadik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Ninjadik

I am new to the ebb and flow setup and I'm currently encountering this problem where my leaves get leathery and claw downwards. I don't know what the problem is and could use any help I can get.

I use h&g flakes, calmag, roots excelurator, b52, and silica for veg. PH 5.5-6.0, rockwool cubes under a vho t5. I flood one time for 15mins every day.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance

Help with leaves clawing in flood and drain
Help with leaves clawing in flood and drain 2
mayonnaise

mayonnaise

Have they always looked a little weak? They do not look happy at all. Give a little more detail, temps, strain, etc.

V

vek11

I am new to the ebb and flow setup and I'm currently encountering this problem where my leaves get leathery and claw downwards. I don't know what the problem is and could use any help I can get.

I use h&g flakes, calmag, roots excelurator, b52, and silica for veg. PH 5.5-6.0, rockwool cubes under a vho t5. I flood one time for 15mins every day.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance
Looks like a bit of nutrient toxicity, which can cause nutrient lockout, I would lessen my nutrient all at once and administer them at different stages of feeding! You also want to keep a close watch on your pH range. I hope this helps you.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
like vek was saying to much nitrogen. cut the nutes in half but i would do a day or so with plain water just ph'd

N

Ninjadik

They usually look like this during veg but once transferred and flipped to 12/12 running the same nutes for the first week the new growth becomes super healthy while original bottom growth stays leathery...

Water temp is 72, ph goes up everyday and ppm gets lower so I know they are up taking. They get bigger every day as well, I just can't explain the unhealthiness.

The strain is Barney's farm LSD, running h&g flakes week 1 veg according to nutrient calculator. Ppm is around 900 with fresh change and 6-700 after two days.

J

Jalisco Kid

What is the runoff ppm's/pH from a cube? I do not believe in flushing plants with o ppms. Better to use what they are eating @ a low ppm of 200-250 ppm's. Suerte JK

Unit541

Unit541

Consider dropping the calmag, and be careful with the silica. These can through N and K numbers way out of bounds.

When having difficulties, less is more, in both concentration/strength AND the number of products you add to the mix. If it were me, I'd bring em down to 250 - 300 ppm of base nutes and that's it until they start asking for more. I would also flood for shorter intervals, more frequently. You're not going to get the roots any wetter soaking them for 15 minutes than they'll get in 60 seconds. Flooding once a day results in a rather large variance in the nutrient concentration of in your RW throughout the cycle. It's relatively close to where you want it while it's flooded, but then airs out ALL DAY long, leaving your roots to hang out with more salt than they really appreciate each day until it's flooded again.

This hydro guy feels that wet/dry cycles are for dirt. Rule of thumb is that you can feed a little more, if you're feeding more often. Feed less the drier your media gets between cycles. Water evaporates, but leaves whatever was in it behind.

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
Any updates?

I have to agree with everyone who has chimed in...looks to be N overdose. I would back off the N before Cal/Mg.

I am not a rockwool guru...lol!

They usually look like this during veg but once transferred and flipped to 12/12 running the same nutes for the first week the new growth becomes super healthy while original bottom growth stays leathery...

Water temp is 72, ph goes up everyday and ppm gets lower so I know they are up taking. They get bigger every day as well, I just can't explain the unhealthiness.

The strain is Barney's farm LSD, running h&g flakes week 1 veg according to nutrient calculator. Ppm is around 900 with fresh change and 6-700 after two days.

Maybe this plant is an N horror...pun intended...lol! This is why you see PH go up and ppm going down...it is ravishing H20 and N the first two days...I would back off the N and see what it does. I have seen picky ass blues grow this way also....same curl...same leathery look....

This is how they look in veg...How much light are they under? or you might wanna think about starting the nute cutback there...just a thought

Not being a rockwool guy...I am not sure if it matters...I run PH closer to 6...it might aide in slowing the uptake of N...could be wrong. I am sure others will chime in if needed....

Do you aerate your ressy? or have any movement? How long before changing ressy?

N

Ninjadik

I've been flushing them from the top with just water, ppm in res would be around 40-50ppm and after flush it would read around 300ppm the first day, 200 the second, then down to 100 on the third day of flushing the cubes.

I'm back to feeding now, dropped the b52, halved the base, calmag and silica at 50% as well.

I've noticed massive growth in plant and roots but same damn curling and leathery look. I think it needs more time but the new growth hasn't even shown healthy growth like it would if I transferred it to 12/12. Still the same leathery look.

I aerate with circulation pump for movement/aeration. Running under vho t5, and res change frequently.

Either the cubes have been compromised and I'm fighting a losing battle or I just need to give them more time.

N

Ninjadik

Some pics. Different angles but basically same plants I took picture of the first time.

milkcrate

milkcrate

everyone was right in all diagnosis, nutes were too high, cut um in half etc..flushing with ph'd water was the correct approach, but let me ask, hows the air flow in the room? i had to increase my air IN take and my plants responded immediately. do you have a nice air intake? its amazing how they respond to good outside air....

crate

Delerium

Delerium

Watch overwatering those cubes also. Drown them in the plus sized cubes

Top Bottom