Help with removing plastic from metal...

• Thread starter JH420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JH420

JH420

I accidentally installed my super spreaders for my adjust-a-wings without removing the plastic, which I was too kushed out to notice...I ran the lights for a few hours before noticing, now that protective plastic is somewhat melted on, I took off what I could with my finger nails...then my buddy tried removing the rest with acetone, which did nothing. Anybody know any chemicals or techniques to remove this stuff?

Meltedplastic 003
S

scrapiron

What a mess! Glad it is your mess and not mine! haha. Are they aluminum or stainless? A wire brush on a Dremel, or cup brush on a grinder... but this will leave a really scratched surface on aluminum. Heat is also an option. Get a braising torch or a electric paint stripper, hell, try the ole' ladys hair drier! If you use any kind of torch, dont use it on aluminum, and try not to heat the metal as much as possible.
The faster options will leave some sort of damage. If you have one of those Dremel Tools with a small wire brush on the end, while heating it with a hair drier should do the trick.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Been there done that and your pretty much screwed, by the time you use what it takes to get that shit off you dull and scratch the surface so bad it is kind of a waste.

Totally flip them around so that the burned surface is to the outside and you at least get an unscuffed, unplastic baked side for the light to reflect of of.

Tex

sky high

sky high

Anybody try submersing them in hot (almost boiling) water?

just a thought...

s h

JH420

JH420

Great success!

The boiling water trick worked! Let em sit in boiling water for 5 mins then peeled off in a minute. I was about to order new ones but thought I'd see if anyone could help, paid off thanks again.

sky high

sky high

Sweeeeeeeeeet. I bought a knife once that had a fuckin sticker on it that was damn near permanent and that trick took it off in a few minutes.

rock n roll

s h

Latest posts

Top Bottom