Help With Rock Wool Please!!

• Thread starter straincreation
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
straincreation

straincreation

Hey guys so i just stepped myself into a garden that is semi failing, and its a huge garden and investment, these plants are not mando to save but i would like to due to the fact that they have them potted and were healthy at some point.
Help with rock wool please
now okay i know the lighting is terrible and all that.

Main question is, has anybody ever had to do a recovery flush, or have a nice regiman that will give these girls some life?!

Okay so back story
I just started here a week ago and this is what my partner had going, log stiry short the plant care taker pulled out, cause he wasnt hitting his numbers.

So idk exactly what his regiman was but they were a week away from flip and this happened
The nutrients being used were as follows, although im unaware of the ratios or timing

SVA
SVB
(AKA super nutrients)
Rhizotonic
Canazym
Calmag
Liquid karma
Protek silica
And i think vitamax is what its called
And boosters dont matter they didnt make it that far
Temps 70-75, humidity 45
Sealed co2
So i brought hese two home and fed them plain tap water phed to 5.5 and they bounced back and greened up
Literally just tap water and tgree waterings in 5 days.
Help with rock wool please 2

There not completley back but look 10x better than the others

So over i did a flush of calmag, b52, and some sensi ab, to about 350 ppm to 5.8 ph
Runoff came to be 950 ppm and 7.2 ph

So anybody?! Thanks guys much appreciated

hiboy

hiboy

Flush them again till your run off is very low like 200
I mean pour gallons over each one if that's what it takes
Then start with some base nutes a and b
Keep humidity up
No co2 till flower
Less nutes better at this point
Water once a day till running off
Don't flip till recovered
Hb

straincreation

straincreation

Flush them again till your run off is very low like 200
I mean pour gallons over each one if that's what it takes
Then start with some base nutes a and b
Keep humidity up
No co2 till flower
Less nutes better at this point
Water once a day till running off
Don't flip till recovered
Hb
Thanks bro much appreciated imma hit them tonight get them super flushed and ill see what happens. This is usually what id do with soil, but im not to familiar with rock wool besides cloning. So thanks again

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Thanks bro much appreciated imma hit them tonight get them super flushed and ill see what happens. This is usually what id do with soil, but im not to familiar with rock wool besides cloning. So thanks again
I didnt think rockwool could hold nutrients like coco or soil because its inert? I stand corrected somewhat...

here is a good lil write up...

Rockwool Facts and Usage
Courtesy of General Hydroponics

Q: What is rockwool?
A: Rockwool is spun mineral wool fiber. Various “rock” components, with a heavy dose of silicon oxides are melted at high temperature and fibers are formed as molten material is passed by a series of “spinners.” The finished product which is “bonded” via proprietary resins, is inert, meaning it has no cation exchange capacity. Approximately 97% v/v/ is air space. Bonded products (plugs, blocks and slabs) also contain a wetting agent, which may (absorbent) or may not (repellant) be present in granulated (also called flock) rockwool.

Q: What’s so good about rockwool?
A: Rockwool is considered by many commercial growers and their consultants to be the ideal substrate for hydroponic production. Since it is inert, fertilization can be controlled in a very exact manner. Because of its unique structure, rockwool can hold water and retain sufficient air space to promote optimum root growth. Since rockwool exhibits a slow, steady drainage profile, the crop can be manipulated more precisely between vegetative and generative growth without fear of drastic changes in EC or pH. End result: better yields and higher quality.

Q: Is one type of rockwool system (eg., ebb& flood) better than another?
A: As long as appropriate air/water ratios, fertilizer concentration, EC, pH and any other critical factors are maintained properly, the actual means of irrigating the plants does not matter. More appropriately care should be taken to choose the correct rockwool product (slab, block, BAB-12, Baby Leach) and size for the system. Commercial growers favor drip irrigation with growing blocks on top of slabs for tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers while lettuce, strawberries and many herbs are produced in NFT, water-table, ebb & flood and other systems set up for their specific growing conditions.

Q: Is rockwool harmful to the environment?
A: No. It’s tempting to be trite and leave it at that, but the Professor will expound. Rockwool, as the name implies, is produced from rock. Rock comes from the earth. Returning rock back to the earth after use (recycling) is a good idea. Many products are wrapped in plastic, however, and so the plastic wrap should be removed before tilling the rockwool into the garden or a farmer’s field. Disposing of rockwool in a landfill, while not an appetizing thought, also has its positive aspects. Landfills (we used to call them what they really are- DUMPS) have a problem with anaerobic bacteria. Rockwool mixed in the garbage helps to aerate the mix and enhance aerobic bacterial activity. So whether you plow it or dump it you are helping the environment! Category: Water Relations

Q: Why is rockwool considered a “wet” substrate?
A: Rockwool is approximately 97% air by volume when dry, but rapidly hydrates, filling the air spaces with water and nutrients. Because of the rapid hydration people sometimes tend to over-water, not realizing the structural difference between rockwool and inert media like pumice or fired-clay.

Q: How much should you irrigate rockwool?
A: The ideal moisture percentage in a block or slab is 65-70% during periods of light. Allowing for 30-35% air space in the rockwool promotes healthy root growth. Consult Prof von Hydro’s 1-2-3 Instructions for irrigation strategies.

Q: What happens if you water too much or too little with rockwool?
A: The answer is somewhat dependent on stage of crop growth. Continued saturation of the growing medium reduces root vigor. Too little solution stresses the plant as EC spikes. However, commercial growers use irrigation volume (along with pH balance and fertilizer ratio) to manipulate plants between vegetative and generative growth. For example, a young tomato plant with one-two fruit clusters requires about 1.6 liters of nutrient solution per day under long day length conditions. Reducing the volume of the feed slightly and raising the EC in the root zone stresses the plant and induces generative growth.

Q: Horizontal fiber slabs are wet and vertical fiber slabs are dry, right?
A: It’s interesting how the long, dark nights in northern latitudes often cause the line between fantasy and reality to blur! IF the horizontal and vertical slabs are made from the same material by the same manufacturer, then, and only then, is theabove statement somewhat correct (see next question for full explanation). Fiber length, fiber diameter, material density, product height and a host of other factors ultimately determine the water-holding capacity and drainage characteristics of a growing slab.

Q: Are “wet” and “dry” the correct terms to use when describing rockwool?
A: The answer is no, but often we use them to simplify explanations. Citing the question above about horizontal and vertical is the perfect example. The only difference between a given manufacturer’s horizontal and vertical growing slabs is the orientation of the cut when the raw material is made into horticultural product. The starting material is exactly the same. How could the exact, same material be “wet” in once instance and yet “dry” in another? Professor van Hydro would very much like to see this misleading terminology disappear from the scene, but alas, there are some who prefer to perpetuate the myth.

Q: How do commercial vegetable growers view this issue of “wet versus dry”?
A: They try not to fall prey to marketing gimics! Typically growers perform leach tests to determine how well a product hydrates, how quickly it drains, and then how rapidly it re-hydrates. They look at the rooting profile under both low and high light conditions to ensure that the rockwool product is compatible with their irrigation strategy. And last, but not least, they grow a crop on it!

Q: I want to use “continuous” drip in my rockwool system. Any suggestions?
A: Boy are you cheap! Get a timer! Still too cheap even after being embarrassed publicly? Try increasing the column height of your rockwool substrate. If you currently use a 3” high growing slab try going to 4”. If you use RB6 or RB10 growing blocks switch to a BAB-12. This will increase your air / water ratio under continuous drip (or excessive flooding) and result in improved root growth. Rockwool Fibers and Other Basics

Q: How is rockwool made? I heard it came from volcanoes!
A: Yes, a big volcano in Copenhagen (just kidding!). A variety of rock materials are are used (depending on the manufacturer) in the starting mix. Most rockwools are fairly high in silicon oxides. The materials are sized on large screens and then melted at about 2000 º C. before being blown across “spinners” that separate the molten material into fibers before it cools. Fibers are then treated with resins to “bond” the material before it passes through a curing oven. After that the largesheets of material are cut and packaged into the rockwool products you see at you local store.

Q: Can you explain to me what is meant by fiber orientation?
A: It’s as simple as it sounds! This terminology is used to describe the appearance and orientation of the fibers in the rockwool product relative to the ground (horizontal plane) and it is a simple matter of the axis on which the raw material is cut to make the finished product. Slabs usually are either vertical or horizontal. Growing blocks also have vertically-oriented fibers but prior to going through the curing oven these fibers are “scrunched” (or “re-oriented”) in order to provide maximum strength without having to increase the actual density of the rockwool.

Q: What is the real significance of horizontal versus vertical fiber orientation?
A: Typically roots tend to spread out more in a horizontal fiber which can be very helpful under stress conditions. Conversely roots tend to go “right to the bottom” of the bag with vertical fiber slabs. Manufacturers who make very low-density products will sometimes recommend that their customers use vertical fiber slabs to avoid breakdown (and breakage) of the slabs during normal use.

Q: Are all rockwools the same?
A: No. Manufacturers start with different rock components, use different bonding agents and wetting agents, melt at different temperatures, use different kinds of melters (coke-fired ovens versus electric melters), different numbers and arrangements of the “spinners,” have different target densities, fiber diameters, fiber lengths and even a few “trade secrets” that none of us will ever know. However, all of them are mineral wool products that are inert, have 96-97% air space and all of the constituents of the fiber are so tightly bound that laboratory analysis requires sulfuric acid / nitric acid digestions of the rockwool for 24 hours at high temperature to perform analytical procedures. A Little Chemistry

Q: What’s this about rockwool having a high pH that requires leaching before use?
A: Rockwool essentially has a neutral pH. All bonded horticultural rockwool (ie., slabs, blocks, plugs) are held together with resins that are employed in the curing process. These resins are > 8.0 pH BUT they do NOT affect the pH of the growing medium (they can be extracted by boiling in water). One manufacturerleaves residual lime in the material (a benign artifact of the production process) and so they require an extended soaking period prior to use. This is not required with General Hydroponics rockwool products.

Q: I just decided to switch from Promix to rockwool and hyroponics in my indoor garden. Do I fertilize differently?
A: You are changing from a system with relatively high organic matter in the root zone to one in which the growing medium is inert and has no cation exchange capacity. Rockwool systems require more vigilance in maintaining correct fertilizer ratios, EC, pH and irrigation cycles because there is no “buffer.” This sounds daunting but actually is a good thing, because it allows you to control the environment in which the roots are growing and increase both yield and quality.

Q: How do I leach my rockwool system when the EC is too high?
A: First of all be sure that EC in your nutrient tank is the culprit. Compare EC values in your slabs or blocks to that of the solution. If the EC in your rockwool is significantly higher than that of your tank, you probably are irrigating too infrequently or your solution pH has gotten way out of whack. If both the tank and rockwool values are elevated you should reduce you tank EC via dilution with distilled water, adjust pH if necessary and then flush the system several times to bring down EC in the rockwool and prevent further damage to the plants. Once you bring down the EC in the rockwool into the proper range, immediately change to a fresh nutrient solution in your tank and be certain that both the EC and pH are in the correct range.

Q: I heard that organic mediums and fertilizers result in better “taste” than in systems that use mineral fertilizers and mineral growing mediums (such as rockwool). Is this true?
A: If you look WAY back in the archives you will find that the original concept behind hydroponic growing (aside from greatly reduced environmental costs) was the fact that food quality actually could be improved in water-culture systems. However, it wasn’t until about 35 years ago that commercial systems were developed that actually produced vegetables that were of a quality equal to that of their field-grown cousins. The key ingredients to this change? High-quality mineral fertilizers and the development of rockwool as a growing substrate. This does not mean that “organics” won’t work in hydroponics, but remember that the definition of “organic” simply means a compound that contains elemental carbon. Different forms of nutrients are taken up by plants be it organic or inorganic. Not to become anthropomorphic here, but plants “don’t care” where it comes from, aslong as the required nutrients are in appropriate concentrations and are available (or can be converted to an available form). AND the plant has it’s own system for carbon assimilation (CO 2 fixation) so it actually has no need for the carbon in “organic” fertilizers. Whether the phosphate comes from bat guano or a large mine in Saskatchewan is immaterial to the taste of the fruit.

d0rk2dafullest

d0rk2dafullest

i used to use rockwool, when my buddy fed them without phing the solution that is what happened to me, u can flush. and feed the right amount after. what i did was flush with clearex 5.8, then i fed with superthrive, hygro or cannazyme, and some compost tea. (that solution brings back anything for me) and then when it's well again, feed the next day with ur proper solution. make sure ur ph is cool. and ur temps are cool.

OH and a protip. take the plastic cover on the rockwool, and pull it up above the rockwool by likoe an inch, makes watering so much easier. u get a rim that the water cannot escape. and if u use molassses or humic, the top tends to get hard, and the water cannot get thru, i usually get a skewer or a rake and rake the top side of the rockwool.

straincreation

straincreation

thanks for the tips guys! so got all these girls back to health now. this opens up new curiosity.

my questions really are how often do people flush in rock wool

so this is what im doing now tell me if its a waste or if anyone has any good regimens as far as how often to feed at what ppm/EC, or is this just lke hydro and it needs to be fully stocked with nutrients every watering

heres what im doing now
mon:feed 1100-1300 ppm
tues: feed 800-1000ppm
wed;tea (caps benies) and foliar same bennies
thurs: im stumped last two weeks i just feed at 800-1000ppm
fri: full feed
sat;feed 800-1000ppm +humic acid
sunday: flush

anybody thanks in advanced

heres what my ladies look like now

all i have is a video and it wont let me upload ill take pics tomorrow!

d0rk2dafullest

d0rk2dafullest

if i were to do rockwool again, i'd feed full str everytime. with some run off. some people say if u run off 20% at least, you wont need to flush. but maybe that's just coco, that's where i got it xD. i used to do coco, went rockwool, and then went back to coco cuz i can reuse the coco. also, if u dont flush, and just tea, that's what i do, with nice outcome. i dont really have to use my clearex untill i flush. but yeah. if u feel like u need to clearex then do so. but if u tea once a week instead of flush. i think that might save u some flow.

edit: just watched your video, didnt realize u were doing lines, clearex everyweek might be good. also look into pekacid if u ever have trouble with ur lines. i use to hand water with a wand.

straincreation

straincreation

i dont have issues with my lines i run sm90 once a week and it seems to do fine, thanks for the insight. im hoping that they will do okay with the full feed these ladies have been threw alot so i just want to yield the best product i can with that said, i dont wanna cut myself short.. so i feed them tea today and have a solution at 1200 ppm ready for tomorrow's watering so lets go.

thanks again happy farmin!

U

ugmjfarmer

My thoughts are your overfeeding plant stimulants. Choose one; Rhizotonic, B-52, Liquid Karma or Vitamax. Canna additives are strong and complete for hydro. All of those vitamin/boost products are redundant and can be detrimental to use together. I rarely ever had to flush in rockwool. Like...3 days before cutdown I would go water only. I ran Botanicare when I did rockwool. Never had an issue with taste or product quality. Those cubes are easy to overwater though, and they hate to sit on tables; get them up on some plastic grid.

I did the loose cubes in 6x6 pots, 5.8ph, EC 1.2-1.4. Top feed. 10% runoff. 77F, 65% RH. Co2 1200ppm. If you think a nutrient bottle is going to fix a room issue or a moisture issue with your medium, rethink that thought.

straincreation

straincreation

Thanks for your passive aggresive responce, like i stated above i came into a failing garden and have since brought it back to full health and have am in week 3 of flower, i was just looking for regiman advice, and why is b52 and rhizotonic in the same category to you!! A root builder and a vitaman stimulant !?!? And liquid karma has nothing to do with either of those! But thanks!!

straincreation

straincreation

My thoughts are your overfeeding plant stimulants. Choose one; Rhizotonic, B-52, Liquid Karma or Vitamax. Canna additives are strong and complete for hydro. All of those vitamin/boost products are redundant and can be detrimental to use together. I rarely ever had to flush in rockwool. Like...3 days before cutdown I would go water only. I ran Botanicare when I did rockwool. Never had an issue with taste or product quality. Those cubes are easy to overwater though, and they hate to sit on tables; get them up on some plastic grid.

I did the loose cubes in 6x6 pots, 5.8ph, EC 1.2-1.4. Top feed. 10% runoff. 77F, 65% RH. Co2 1200ppm. If you think a nutrient bottle is going to fix a room issue or a moisture issue with your medium, rethink that thought.
heres my reg with a few modifications
Upload 2017 5 16 0 14 57
i run vitamax instead b52, cause its what they have available, i have sweet cause that's whats available,and i use boost from canna instead of monster bloom, this is what ive come too, i only run vitamax on mondays only once a week, then i hit with 1000ppm-1200ppm tuesday, wednesday i hit with a og bio war tea also foliar, thursday same feed as tuesday. friday i use ful power humic acid, like the vitamax i only use once a week only once. saturday same feed as tues, and thurs.
sundays 500-800ppm with sm90 added and hand water. this seems to have my garden boomin, and yes i hand water some 130 plants idc, i need this run to be top notch so im going to do all i know how in order to get to the end goal of quality, and quantity! lets see what happens i guess ill throw this in my other thread! thanks everyone for there inputs more thoughts are always welcome!

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

heres my reg with a few modificationsView attachment 700994 i run vitamax instead b52, cause its what they have available, i have sweet cause that's whats available,and i use boost from canna instead of monster bloom, this is what ive come too, i only run vitamax on mondays only once a week, then i hit with 1000ppm-1200ppm tuesday, wednesday i hit with a og bio war tea also foliar, thursday same feed as tuesday. friday i use ful power humic acid, like the vitamax i only use once a week only once. saturday same feed as tues, and thurs.
sundays 500-800ppm with sm90 added and hand water. this seems to have my garden boomin, and yes i hand water some 130 plants idc, i need this run to be top notch so im going to do all i know how in order to get to the end goal of quality, and quantity! lets see what happens i guess ill throw this in my other thread! thanks everyone for there inputs more thoughts are always welcome!
Brother I would give you some advice, but im as new to rockwool as you. I am following along, and at least i will learn what you learn here. Im excited to see you jump out your comfort zone, and take this on.. I think you will do great! The experience you will get from this will be invaluable! I plant to set up my veg in rockwool, which i will transfer to dwc for flower... So what you learn will benefit me... Well off to work!.. I check back tonight.. good luck brother..

d0rk2dafullest

d0rk2dafullest

i think you'll do just fine. look similar to my chart when i went rockwool.

U

ugmjfarmer

Thanks for your passive aggresive responce, like i stated above i came into a failing garden and have since brought it back to full health and have am in week 3 of flower, i was just looking for regiman advice, and why is b52 and rhizotonic in the same category to you!! A root builder and a vitaman stimulant !?!? And liquid karma has nothing to do with either of those! But thanks!!

From Canna's website in re Rhizotonic:

Stimulates new root growth on cuttings and transplants.

• Besides stimulating root growth on plants that are already rooted, RHIZOTONIC also stimulates new root growth on cuttings and transplants. The various trace elements and vitamins such as B1&B2 stimulate the production of hormones and root growth, thus providing beautiful, strong white roots.
It's a kelp with added B1/B2, and a fermented extract of fast growing plants added in with a bacterial feed. redundant in B's because..

In re: B-52

Folic Acid
Vitamin B5
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
Vitamin B7 (Biotin)

"Compounded with the B vitamins mentioned above, B-52 contains humates and other sources of plant nutrition that are more easily absorbed by your plants because they are administered with B vitamins. And these substances aid the transference of B vitamins into your plants."

Probably a big dose of B's in B-52, along with nitrogen potassium and a phosphorus source if I remember correctly, that way it has NPK boost to what advanced feels is an optimal veg nutrient push, 2-1-4.

Karma is the most organic of the bunch your using, but they do add in the same humics, B's and their L-amino package which advanced nutrients bundles with Big Bud, along with plant extracts which are the same thing as a ferment of seeds or barley malt, and then a compost ferment. I'd use Karma and Rhizotonic, but reduce the dose in half for both since.

Liquid Karma..:

"Liquid Karma contains fermented compost, Amino Acids, vitamins, plant extracts, Humic Acid, Seaweed Extract and carbohydrates."

But you can call it passive aggressive which I wasn't trying to be I was trying to point out the redundancy in your product usage. I'm glad it worked out for you. Taking over another garden is hard, thankfully rockwool is easy. i was trying to highlight that in my post and I failed at that. Sorry. I wish I could find the multiple threads about getting some plastic grid underneath the cubes as helping yield.. Just so you don't think I'm being a dick. The threads A/B'd both. I was trying to say the pots with the loose stuff got the rockwool off contact with the table/tray which helps the properties of rockwool when it comes to how the plant feeds off it. You can go extremely dry with rockwool as well. Wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, really sorry if it came off that way. I've just added too much B's before and seen detrimental effects. Lowering PPm's likely helped.

Last edited:
straincreation

straincreation

From Canna's website in re Rhizotonic:

Stimulates new root growth on cuttings and transplants.

• Besides stimulating root growth on plants that are already rooted, RHIZOTONIC also stimulates new root growth on cuttings and transplants. The various trace elements and vitamins such as B1&B2 stimulate the production of hormones and root growth, thus providing beautiful, strong white roots.
It's a kelp with added B1/B2, and a fermented extract of fast growing plants added in with a bacterial feed. redundant in B's because..

In re: B-52

Folic Acid
Vitamin B5
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
Vitamin B7 (Biotin)

"Compounded with the B vitamins mentioned above, B-52 contains humates and other sources of plant nutrition that are more easily absorbed by your plants because they are administered with B vitamins. And these substances aid the transference of B vitamins into your plants."

Probably a big dose of B's in B-52, along with nitrogen potassium and a phosphorus source if I remember correctly, that way it has NPK boost to what advanced feels is an optimal veg nutrient push, 2-1-4.

Karma is the most organic of the bunch your using, but they do add in the same humics, B's and their L-amino package which advanced nutrients bundles with Big Bud, along with plant extracts which are the same thing as a ferment of seeds or barley malt, and then a compost ferment. I'd use Karma and Rhizotonic, but reduce the dose in half for both since.

Liquid Karma..:

"Liquid Karma contains fermented compost, Amino Acids, vitamins, plant extracts, Humic Acid, Seaweed Extract and carbohydrates."

But you can call it passive aggressive which I wasn't trying to be I was trying to point out the redundancy in your product usage. I'm glad it worked out for you. Taking over another garden is hard, thankfully rockwool is easy. i was trying to highlight that in my post and I failed at that. Sorry. I wish I could find the multiple threads about getting some plastic grid underneath the cubes as helping yield.. Just so you don't think I'm being a dick. The threads A/B'd both. I was trying to say the pots with the loose stuff got the rockwool off contact with the table/tray which helps the properties of rockwool when it comes to how the plant feeds off it. You can go extremely dry with rockwool as well. Wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, really sorry if it came off that way. I've just added too much B's before and seen detrimental effects. Lowering PPm's likely helped.
I feel you br, so now that i have it all arranged, i use rhizo only in the first 2 weeks of flower, and as i stated above i use vitamax from gro tek , as apposed to the b52 from advanced, only cause its what they had, and i only hit them once a week with this stuff cause its super strong. As far as lk goes i uss from week 3 till flush. Normally in veg id use voodoo juice, b52, and sensi ab, but since we arent running that line i used rhizo, and super nutrients ab. Seemed to have bounced back just fine. I do feel where your coming from bro, no worries it just seemed like you came in to make a quick comment and bounced so ya.

So to be clear im not using b52 im using vitamax and only one dose a week, and although rhizo has b vitamans, there just an added benefit and not the heart of the nutrient and imo, those b vitamans are crutiual to be at optimal levels. I also use everything at about 1/2 strength keeping my ppms below 1200 these ogees seem to like the lower ppms after week 3 ill put eome pics up tonight but these things are banging out colahs cant complain

AKFrost

AKFrost

Hello, normally you shouldn't have to flush when using rockwool if you are getting the proper runoff when you water/ feed. If you have to flush for problematic reasons. Go with a low ppm. Otherwise I never flush until harvest time is near. Some ppl flush. I know greenhouseseeds flushes on the second and fourth week of flower I think. They say it's there secret to bigger harvests. Seen it on there YouTube videos. I've tried it and haven't noticed any difference. Best of luck to ya

Latest posts

Top Bottom