Help with runoff ppm. Please

• Thread starter Opiedean
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Opiedean

Opiedean

Just started a side by side comparison in a 160 plant room. I typically grow in coco. But this is fox farm ocean. Here goes.
just loaded room with 4 week plants. They water with city water. Ppm285.
total EC with nutes about 550. It’s low I know. I tested al runoff. 2500-3000 seems very high to me. My side I flushed with enzymes twice.Then fed a day later. Raised nutes to 610. Making total with water 900.
runnoff was 1300-1800ppm. Seems high still. Please advise.

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
Soil retains salts and releases them slowly. Soggy soil is the path to many bad things.
Take some subset of that population and give them worm casting tea (only) and see if that is enough to make the soil function like it should. Just a suggestion.

KLight03

KLight03

Soil retains salts and releases them slowly. Soggy soil is the path to many bad things.
Take some subset of that population and give them worm casting tea (only) and see if that is enough to make the soil function like it should. Just a suggestion.
@weedtech I would love to learn more about worm casting tea, if you don't mind?

@Opiedean, I'm just curious because I did a water shuffle for a few days last time. Do you know if you have hard water? I'm asking because there was a phase of time at the water plant when they were putting something in that would make my nutes rise over time. I tested it on coco and soil. One day, fine, the next, not so much once I added nutes. It would literally climb to 2000 after two hours. I thought it was my meter originally.

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
There are some commercial brands. I've used Vermitea. https://www.vermicrop.com/compost-tea

So the deal is soil has the nutrients, if it was made properly. Unlocking those nutrients takes a village, of microbes. They are quite sensitive to PH and are usually killed by heavy nutrient salts. Worm casting teas are a gentle way of feeding and promoting the beneficial organisms. This is how organic farming works, with much less focus on what chemicals you can toss in to "make it so".

I would add I use coco indoors, because I want to manipulate that part. Soil is not forgiving of mistakes. Soil has a mind of its own, and you have to listen. Coco is driven, like a rental car.

Last edited:
KLight03

KLight03

There are some commercial brands. I've used Vermitea. https://www.vermicrop.com/compost-tea

So the deal is soil has the nutrients, if it was made properly. Unlocking those nutrients takes a village, of microbes. They are quite sensitive to PH and are usually killed by heavy nutrient salts. Worm casting teas are a gentle way of feeding and promoting the beneficial organisms. This is how organic farming works, with much less focus on what chemicals you can toss in to "make it so".

I would add I use coco indoors, because I want to manipulate that part. Soil is not forgiving of mistakes. Soil has a mind of its own, and you have to listen. Coco is driven, like a rental car.
Thank you.

Top Bottom