Help With Scrog

• Thread starter DemonTrich
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I've been a grower for over 4 yrs. I read and researched for a year before buying my first hard part or seed/clone. I've been a stake stake'em up kinda guy since day one.

I'd appreciate some help from you screen/net guys. I grow on average 6 different strains. I have seperate veg and flower rooms. All my strains, minus my chaos are all equally tall after stretch minus a few inches between the strains. I put the chaos strains on milk crates to even the canopy. After the 3 week stretch, pretty much I have an even canopy.

For my next run I want to try a screen in hopes to get a slightly better yeild (my yeilds are great as they are being staked, just always trying to improve my growing abilities, and yeilds). I flower in a built co2 8x12x7 room, with my lights being offset 1' so I have room to work and what not. I have 3 hoods, 4 pots under each hood. I currently have a 5x15 net to work with next flip.

Basically id like someone who uses a screen to give me some tips and pointers on how to properly accomplish this, and not fvck up my next harvest. Lol I've seen youtube vids after the fact, and read countless threads on multiple forums, but sometimes the teks ppl use are all over the place and not too accurate.

Thanks

Grow Journal

Grow Journal

Hows it going bro?

Not sure if I'm the right guy to give you pointers as you are obviously experienced but I've mostly done scrog so I might be able to share a couple lessons I learned. (random shit)

When topping them be careful not to create to many tops sticking out out your net, its easy to think sea of green inside the trellis, but maybe lake of green would be better... ha ha

Plan to give the girls enough time to get their steam back after a trim and train before flipping to 12/12

Defoliate, defoliate defoliate... when your coming out of veg and your trellis (Id do 3 4x4 nets centered down the room) assuming your running 1k in each hood the canopy will only be 6-12" thick. To me the trick is to defoliate enough and to be patient enough to give them recovery time but not so much it defeats the point of defoliating... lol

Depending on your climate Id recommend being careful when training the main stem after its first topping, it can split on you setting you back a couple weeks.

That's what I can think of for now, hope it goes good for you!

stonestacker

stonestacker

Shit Demon just not getting any responses to this. Maybe this will help liven this place up lol.
I've only grown under a net. I start in veg training the canopy. Lots of lolly popping and defoliating. Always thinking about filling the screen. Light penetration and air flow.
In flower I use two nets. The first one to keep the branches down and spread to fill the space. And the second to support all those fat coalas.
Growing with a net can be a pain. You are limited on the amount of access. you can't just pull one plant out.Watering can be a pain. I do DTW. Even defoliating is a pain. Which is a necessity for light penetration and air flow. But I wouldn't do it any other way. I have great yields while keeping my plant count down.
I seem to have better luck running one or two strains at a time. I crop the hole room. So I harvest less often then my friends that chop weekly or by weekly. Also this way I can do a thorough cleaning between runs. I seem to have less mold and bug problems than most of my friends this way.

Hope this helps.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I run a seperate veg and flower room, so I can Scrog from beginning to end. I'm about at week 2. My glues are about as tall as my chaos on milk crates. About 1 more week the glues should be about 6" taller. If I didn't already stake my plants at flip time, I'd throw the net over the girls and start weaving.

stonestacker

stonestacker

I don't weav. Makes it real hard at harvest.
I run 6 plants under 2 1k's. 2 rows of 3 and I can walk around the outside.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Demon pm me been a scrogger for over 10 years from one plant to many plants i will be happy to guide you or mentor you through a grow a proper scrog not just a support system from building netting with the right material rather then plastic fencing lol so many use and actual square dimensions which is rather important
Gallery 11738 4816 73643
Gallery 11738 4816 150180
Gallery 11738 4816 63681
Gallery 11738 4816 123095

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Awesome, when I go to work (grow) tonight, I'll snap a pic of what I'm working with. This will all be in prep for my next run, as I've already staked all the plants this run. I bought a 5x15' net with 6" holes iirc.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Take net back, you want a roll of twine with plastic or wire netting people do not realize buds grow into them so when harvest time comes its a cluster fuck ..
with twine all you do is cut twine pull gently if buds grown in them and drop scrog to the floor now your on your plants with wire mesh or plastic it will be a night mare cutting crawling under cutting stems etc

stonestacker

stonestacker

Take net back, you want a roll of twine with plastic or wire netting people do not realize buds grow into them so when harvest time comes its a cluster fuck ..
with twine all you do is cut twine pull gently if buds grown in them and drop scrog to the floor now your on your plants with wire mesh or plastic it will be a night mare cutting crawling under cutting stems etc
Yep. I use braided mason line cut and dump.

shemshemet

shemshemet

Demon-

Lots of responses to use twine.

I'm sure its a great easy way of doing things, but I find a few flaws.
#1 Im not very good at getting the twine tight enough to hold my plants. This is key with a system shown by purple train. He seems really good at tightening that twine!
#2 You've gotta build it. Takes some time.

I do use wire mesh. 4x4 thinnest gauge I could find. It works really well for me. Yes it is a bit of a pain at harvest time, but I am careful.

I only run 1k so maybe my options are the best for your options. If you know you're strains stretch and how they do with stakes, you can easily migrate to a screen. In fact, it will be a bit easier, as you don't have to imagine the horizontal canopy level, you can see it.

I don't really weave, unless a specific branch is going out of control.

With a screen, don't think you can fill it up more than you fill up your normal canopy. The screen just gives you a good guideline to go by, instead of having to imagine the lines, you can literally see them.

I don't put a branch through every hole. No math required.

To me, it's just a simple gridded support system.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

This is after week 1 From flip. To give you a perspective on what's happening. Last pic is at chop day, same strains, same strain placement. The canopy is pretty much level minus a few higher/shorter colas. Should be able to Scrog these girls. I put the tallest girls in back.

Also, I top clones in solo cups down to 4 nodes. Then 3 weeks later, then again 3 weeks later.

Sorry, Forgot to set the white balance on my phone.
20160723 212922
20160723 212932
20160707 111735

shemshemet

shemshemet

Got to say, you've got your method DOWN! I'm not so convinced you should switch from what you're doing!

Maybe try the screen out for one light, instead of all those eggs in one basket

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Thanks, 4+yrs growing. Might not be as much as orhers, but i think i do alright. Lol

I have ocd, so I doubt I'll be able to just scrog one light. Lol

I did lollipop this run a lot more than previous. Shooting for minimal to no lower larf and let the plant concentrate on big bud growth. And went back to co2. Once you get a taste of big co2 runs, it's hard not to grow with it.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Here's my room at week 2.5 from flip. As you can see most of the room has a somewhat even canopy. I did raise the back 2 glues (left upper corner) to be even with the rest,. Pic was taken before. So next run, I'm going to try and not stake the girls, rather at week 2.5-3 I'll throw my 5x15 net over them.and give it a try. If it doesn't work, I'll remove the net and stake them up. Shouldn't put me too far behind (work wise) if the net doesn't work out. The girls have stretched a bit more from the pic time and last night.
20160805 210131

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I'll post up another pic tonight. The stretch should be pretty much done. Have to tie up some branches as well.

G gnome

G gnome

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I used to scrog when I grew indoors. Built frames of 3/4" pvc, screwed in eyelets every 2.5" and strung it up with mason string. Had 4 way corners on the pvc frame so I could add another layer of trellis. First layer was 8-10" about the soil, and second trellis another 8-10 inches about that. I like the smaller 2.5 inch grid rather than larger squares and it took about 5 minutes to restring a trellis. I grew with nine 10 gallon pots of soil per light (similar to subcools super soil mix) and vegged in 1 gallon pots in another room until they were about 18" tall, transplant to the flower room, then another 2 weeks veg under the trellis until it was about 75% full, then let her rip. Averaged about 1.15 grams per watt with OGs, and highest yield was a little over 3# a light with seedlings. Not bad for a 12 week cycle on average (2 week veg, 9 week flower, 1 week cleaning and prepping for next round). Im sure you can have even bigger numbers and quicker turn around if you were t using supersoil and use these new double ended bulbs and whatnot. I'll try to find some photos but I think the drive they were on is toast. But I learned all the technique searching forums here.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I can't change any fixtures or bulbs at this time. This way works for me, just trying to gain every edge I can get.

Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

I have to grow scrog method because of my ceiling height and from looking at your pics I can't see any reason to change what you are doing. You have already achieved what you are going for with a screen. If you feel the need to try the screen the best advice you have been given is don't weave the branches.

Top Bottom