Help with soil choices....

• Thread starter hemdigler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hemdigler

I was at first going to do outdoor crop but think i am staying indoor for safety reasons.... but anyway i have never grown indoor with soil, only hydro, i bought some miracle grow organic potting soil, but i see alot of people talking about all sorts of other kinds of soils.... what benifits do certain ones have and what is th best overall soil to use??? also with nutes i see alot of people talking about the guano... is that the cats meow or is there something else i should seek out? then they also have the south american or african guano, any differance or just another way for thm to charge more? have many more questions but i will spread them through the threads a bit! thanks for any replies

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
I like Black Gold Potting Soil.. Hell of a lot better than Fox Farm Ocean Forest..
Recently I have been turned onto Sunshine Mix#4 works even better imo:nod

GH 3 part and some Cal Mag seems to work awesome in both hydro and soil..

GTD :passingjoint:

K

kill-9

bio bizz and the black gold are definitely better than the fox farm ocean forest, but Id recommend the foxfarm ocean forest for absolute beginners.

bat guano comes in different forms, some are vegetative state and some are for flowering. Just stay away from the sunleaves shit, matter of fact, stay away from that entire brand. :character0025:

P

pilot error

bat guano comes in different forms, some are vegetative state and some are for flowering. Just stay away from the sunleaves shit, matter of fact, stay away from that entire brand. :character0025:

Curious as to why you don't like Sunleaves brand. I've used it before and never had a problem.

K

kill-9

Bad batch of peruvian is why I dont like it.. I wrote off their entire brand because of it. If you have success with it, stick with it. Although I have to admit, that it wasnt for mj.

P

pilot error

Damn sorry to hear that. I wouldn't say I had success, used it thru 1 grow, but it didn't fuck anything up. I'll have to maybe look into another brand as I couldn't afford a major problem from using bad nutes and I want to try an stay organic.

S

SkyHi

i have to agree with GTD and kill-9 the FFOF kinda sukcs idk why it was talked up so much on other forums. Its really rich and started burning some of my more sensitive plants. I switched to lightwarrior for now and im happy.

I still wanna try, Pro-mix, Black Gold, and that sunshine mix

B

BuddKlott

Plaigorn batmix - you don't have to worry about nutrients until you start to flower, easier the better :D

Whippleschnitz

Whippleschnitz

I would not use FFOF by itself. I have been using roughly equal parts FFOF, Coco and perlite. I am VERY happy with how it has been working out. Now, I am far from an expert and will likely expirement with other soil mixes (I see some Promix BX in my future) but this mix is a keeper for me. Add some occassional Earth Juice nutes and the girls stay happy.

H

hemdigler

thanks

thanks for all the responses all this has told me quite a bit!

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Yup Hemm, Ya cant go wrong with the Sunshine Mix #4..I a promise ya:) I have put all my mothers in it.. Second choice would be Black Gold Potting Soil:)
Thing about the Fox Farm Ocean Forest is that it is a lil hot for my likings. Also the drainage is really poor..I have also come across a batch where lil white fly's were in the soil. So no more FFOF..

K

KushyNutt

I like B'Cuzz's soiless mix. I forget the name but it is a big green bale so it's hard to miss!

H

hemdigler

pics of the setup

i just added some pics of my girls "the purps" in the photography section if you want to check them out!

S

Sirius

I cant believe nobody mentioned Roots Organics.. In my experience this is top shelf soil... Unless its not offered where you live... FFOF is my second choice, mixed with perlite.. Have also heard good things from Jorge about promix, but thats about it...

Cheers

K

kill-9

I cant believe nobody mentioned Roots Organics.. In my experience this is top shelf soil... Unless its not offered where you live... FFOF is my second choice, mixed with perlite.. Have also heard good things from Jorge about promix, but thats about it...

Cheers

Subcool of TGA genetics didn't like it. He said they used Fir bark as filler. But then again, FFOF uses chipped wood. Im gonna try the roots organic this summer though.

S

Sirius

Subcool of TGA genetics didn't like it. He said they used Fir bark as filler. But then again, FFOF uses chipped wood. Im gonna try the roots organic this summer though.

For being ready made, I think its a good product.. Subs obviously a perfectionist... Im sure his mix is better than anything you can buy in a bag!

Top Bottom