help with topping

• Thread starter donkeypunch
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

donkeypunch

Hi all newbie here just entered the 12/12 flowering period of my 1st grow about a week ago and struggling with hight in a loft space. managed to tie the girls down somewhat and hopefully controlled the stretch. I have been reading a tut by LBH on topping and 4 way lst and am definately going that root on grow number 2 along with his scrog tut. The 1 thing that has me stumped is how many times do i need to top to get a 4 way lst going? 1 of my friends who claims to have been growing for years has told me i need to top 2 times but in LBH tutorial he mentions only one cut at the 5th leaf set.

many thanks in advance and sorry about the dumbness.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

if you top at the 5th node it should result in 4 arms(strain dependant)
if your looking for height control in flower, id go the chemical route
ive been playing with bud ignitor lately and really like it. if you can get bushmaster where you are thats good stuff too

i wouldnt top that late in flower, some bending is in line tho

GodZsoN

GodZsoN

Topping isn't the best to do in flower.. The ladies need a lil time to recover..

B

BenjaminSocks

I too avoid topping in flower. If I do it, it is only in the first week.

After that I only bend or twist the plant to control height.

If you use chemicals like bushmaster to control height, you have to be very careful. It can backfire really easily.

When done right it, it works like a charm. When done wrong it can decrease yield and flavor. It can be a costly learning curve, but it does work.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

1)Bushmaster is not for coco fyi read the label.

2)Also I prefer the FIM technique as it takes significantly less time to recover.

3) I would also recommend not topping during flower. I week before is the latest I would suggest topping. If you need to control height tie the tops down with a string and take some slack out each day to pull them down

4) Bud ignitor < bud blood IMO. Basically the same thing just watered down and a bit easier to mix and more expensive. I do recommend bud blood as I see flowers pop much faster using it.

Good luck!

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
As everyone said you need to stop topping your plant a week or 2 b4 u flip to 12/12 but pinching/super cropping is ok to do in flower it helps control heights and increases yield.

devious d

devious d

Hey just watch it again he tells you,tried it myself wicked way of starting a scrog. thats LBH,s tut, the 1st top gives you 4, the 2nd 8 very good tutorial good luck D.D

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
good info

As everyone said you need to stop topping your plant a week or 2 b4 u flip to 12/12 but pinching/super cropping is ok to do in flower it helps control heights and increases yield.

also I read that when you super crop the plant sends more nutes to that area so the colas above the crimp get more to grow and swell on fatter nuggs than toping yep yep

:harvest:

Top Bottom