Helpful Organic Growing Books

• Thread starter hashrip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hashrip

hashrip

What are some really good books on organic growing? The ones that are the most popular and seem to be the most helpful. Optikfiber suggested a book called Teaming with Microbes in his thread and I checked it out and its great! Can we put together a list of books and maybe links of the best resources for organics?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
While I have some problems with the style of writing I find in Acres, USA, it's still been incredibly informative and useful, has presented me with tons of new (to me) information.

I would stay away from anything written specifically for growing cannabis. I have yet to read any such tome that has shown research behind assertions, cited sources, or done anything other than be fairly badly written. But, I'm a bitch that way, I want real information and won't rest until I get it. :makeup

Blaze

Blaze

Definitely stay away from anything written for cannabis - the info in those books tends to be highly inaccurate. A few I have found useful:

"The New Organic Grower: A Master's Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener" by Eliot Coleman

"How to Grow More Vegetables and Fruits (and Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine" by John Jevons

"Compost Tea Brewing Manual, 5th Edition" by Dr. Elaine Ingham

"Soils In Our Environment" by Raymon W. Miller and Duane T. Gardiner

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Holy shizzy that Ingham tome is spendy, even used!

Blaze

Blaze

Yeah it is an over-priced book, but quite useful. Definitely helped take my garden to a new level.

Blaze

Blaze

Holy crap, you are right, that book has gone up a TON! I though it was over-priced when I bought it two years ago for $35, but the cheapest one on Amazon is right now is $140!! That is outrageous, OK scratch that book from my recommended list. Just go to the SFI website instead, most of the same info is there.

hashrip

hashrip

While I have some problems with the style of writing I find in Acres, USA, it's still been incredibly informative and useful, has presented me with tons of new (to me) information.

I would stay away from anything written specifically for growing cannabis. I have yet to read any such tome that has shown research behind assertions, cited sources, or done anything other than be fairly badly written. But, I'm a bitch that way, I want real information and won't rest until I get it. :makeup

Really? Even Ed Rosenthal? I just read his handbook and I thought it was pretty informative. It at least sounded like he knew what he was talking about... although he did contradict himself a couple times.

Sorry Dextr0, I should have done a simple search before I asked! Thanks anyway though.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, even Ed Rosenthal. I have extremely high standards and expectations from anyone endeavoring to write a book. If unfamiliar terms are used I expect to see a proper glossary (which is NOT the same thing as a dictionary). If statistics are cited I expect to see footnotes and bibliography, same thing with any scientific data.

Having been involved in writing a book that was destined for hobbyists (reefkeeping) but written by and for professionals as well, I'm even worse when it comes to criticizing written works.

hashrip

hashrip

You helped write a book Seamaiden? That's so cool. I've read many of your posts. You're a pretty well rounded gardener. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the farm. I took a trip to my local library and found an Organic Growing for Dummies (lol I know) and an older book called Start with the Soil. They aren't exactly what I was hoping for but they are a good start I guess. Start with the Soil appears to be a knock off of Teaming with Microbes. It's not as detailed or well written, but it's a similar interface.

G

grateful bread

one of my favs is "organic marijuana Soma style" its a great read

G

gooey

Teaming with microbes is a fun one as well, im enjoying, helps to read non plant specific books for sure...good advice eveyone

I

InTheBeginning

Teaming with Microbes is a very good read. Whatever you read, keep your mind open and follow up by checking citations, etc. not just accepting what you read as gospel. I'm floored that Ingham's book has gone up. I was not all that impressed. Especially the units of measure seemed all over the place. It may depend what edition you have. Don't get the microscope manual....not worth the paper..IMO

Dr.Dankz

Dr.Dankz

one of my favs is "organic marijuana Soma style" its a great read

I am fully on board with Soma's book great info and a quick read in my world you should almost memorize what is in that book even if you build on it or disagree with some points he grows uber sexy budz

cannabeans

cannabeans

a few i that i use!!!

here are a few books that i refer to all the time!

Rodale's all new encyclopedia of organic gardening.
written by : Robert Rodale

Organic Food. the gardeners a-z guide for growing!
written by: Tanya L.K. Denckla

Organic gardening in cold climates
written by: Sandra Perrin

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I checked out the Rodale book but didn't pick it up.

I do now have Gaia's Garden, The New Organic Grower and Smart Permaculture Design, along with The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control (or something like that), a book on companion planting, and what's probably going to be most important for me, the Week-by-week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook.

My goal right now is to see what I can do as far as efficiently and relatively easily growing organic fruits and veggies for us to eat. If I do well, I want to go slightly chickenman, get organic certification from the CCOF to then go on to sell my produce. Assuming I do well, that is.

Top Bottom