Hemp plan to build green houses

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

Hemp plan to build green houses

Hemp, a member of the cannabis family, could be used to build carbon-neutral houses, say researchers.
A team based at the University of Bath is looking at the cost and insulation efficiencies of using the plant in construction materials in the UK. The hemp plant stores carbon, giving a "better than zero" carbon footprint.

A spokesman involved in the project said: "It only takes an area the size of a rugby pitch four months to grow enough hemp for a three bedroom house."

'Social benefit'
The building material uses hemp fibres that are bound together using a lime-based adhesive, which itself has a low carbon footprint.

Professor Pete Walker, who is working on the project, said: "Growing crops such as hemp can also provide economic and social benefits to rural economies through new agricultural markets for farmers and associated industries."

A carbon footprint measures the impact on the environment and is related to the amount of greenhouse gases produced. Scientists believe that large amounts of greenhouse gases are leading to climate change.

The three year project will cost £750,000.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7989924.stm

Hemphouse
A

Attis

So they just realized this??? We should get Al Gore to add this to his campaign about Green house gases. If we approach it in a way that shows how it can benefit the people who oppose it rather than just the supporters, we might just get somewhere with it.

K

kill-9

We just need a good argument against the pathetic fear mongering argument law enforcement uses:

"They can grow weed along hemp and we can't tell."

That's what Governor Schwarzenegger told the media when he rejected hemp bills that came up on his desk.

F

Fear

I am going to sneak into that hemp field and slip in some dank mammas. LOL I will also donate all my stalks.

D

drowhit

Global warming is a big hoax. Al Gore made it up .
Now making a home out of a piece of soil- every year you can make a home out of a few acres is a fucking great idea.

Top Bottom