hempy or not

• Thread starter wings123
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wings123

wings123

im looking for some opinions...mix is 50/50 coco perlite should i use 12 gallong hempy containers or 7 gallon smartpots? or just 12 gallon plain bucets no hempy rez? thans in advance!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I haven't done coir as a hempy tub, but I have done pure perlite (30gal). I've done coir in plain pots, and soil outdoors in Smart Pots, but never coir indoors in SP's.

Long and the short of my experience is this--more roots=better & bigger growth + fewer problems.

This post will also help bump-a-lump ya.

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

I grew a bubba in a humpy pot. Thing was beast for a pre98 bub. I will say though they are to messy for me but I was in a room at the time but would definitely give it another go now that I have a garage. Did 50/50 with aqua balls at the bottom and worked out great.

Smarts pots are cool but I think there over rated as a lot of people will start bashing on me now. Air pruning is definitely a plus but it is a hell of a lot cheaper to keep reusing 7 gal plastic pots then buying new smart pots every few runs. Especially when doing a ton of plants. But if I wasn't a cheap ass who knows what my opinion would be. Check out my thread creme fraische as there's a smart pot grow there. And to be honest it kills me to reuse smart pots.

If you have the means, fuk it, I say hempies.

K

kushtrees

Hempies are great and so are smart pots. If you want to water less do hempies with the 50/50 mix. If you want to water one to two times a day with that mix, do smart pots. Personally I would do less coco and more perlite with a hempy. More perlite = more air and as sea said you can do all perlite hempies.

Smart pots are expensive I agree with you there but I like them more than plastic for trees at least. I wouldn't do a SOG with smart pots though. Their table liner looks like it would work well for a SOG bed though.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I would use 75/25 perlite/coco for the hempy and 50/50 with the smart pot or regular bucket. I've done 100% perlite hempies and the buds came out denser then the soil ones, same strain.

Some people add vermiculite to there perlite hempies for more water retention so using coco instead of vermiculite would be great. I would only do 50/50 hempies if I was not able to water as often, but I think 75/25 or even 80/20 perlite/coco would result in faster growth, you got a mini-rez at the bottom so you should not need as much coco to hold extra moisture, unless you are limited in the amount of irrigation's you can perform.

In regards to bucket size, it really depends how big you plan on growing your plants. I know hempy buckets usually don't need to be as big as normal drainage buckets because of the mini-rez holding extra water and nutes.

IMO anywhere from 1-5 gallon buckets are suffice for hempies as long as your not growing trees. I grew 5 clones in 1 qt. cups using them as hempy buckets with 100% perlite and I flowered them at 6" tall BEFORE the roots hit the rez and if I recall correctly they produced about 2 oz. total dried and they were only like 10" tall after stretch and I even pruned the bottom so there was only maybe 6" of canopy depth lol fucking super mini plants.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Do hempys. You wont regret. They crush it with top notch quality. Cross reference several grows with a little research on some journals you should be on your way. Ive done 10 gal chow smart pots and 18-25 gal hempys in the past with great results. I preferred less coco each time

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

^^^^How big were your plants and how much veg time when you grew them in 18-24 gal hempy buckets??

18-24 gal is huge for 1 plant in a hydro system, unless you used multiple plants per bucket??

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

I did 2 plants in each tote with a 4 week veg from a 4 in pot. They were decent size, required the least maintenance and best quality in the room. Perlite/coco @ 70/30.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I run 75/25 perlite to coco in 26 gallon hempies but I grow trees. I like hempies becuse they are lower maintenance and they can go 2 days or 3 days max without watering. By the end of flower I have a 26 gallon block of roots that I can jump on and it is rock solid. That said the answer to our question is how big are you going to grow your plants? 5g smart pots will grow pretty big plants but 12 g regular pots will still grow bigger if you want them get big.

wings123

wings123

thanks guys i decided to stick w the 12 gallon hempys with a few in 18 gallon, each plant is going to be under a 1k by itself... i guess i thought nobodys was really using hempys lol...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Each plant's getting a whole light to itself? Those're gonna be some trees. You are gonna have you some fun. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom