Hempy Vs. Smart pot

• Thread starter Comercial
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Comercial

So im tired of my RDWC headache. And my brain has been runnin for days on what size hempy pots or if I should use 30 gallon smart pots I already have. Here is what's been floating in my head. Please give me your ideas.

I understand how the hempy works creating a res at the bottom of the tote or bucket below the drilled hole. I was looking at different size totes and pots ect...

When I started thinking.
I have 30 gallon smart pots, why not do a 4:1 perlite coco mix in my smart pots. Set up up on a large 100+ gallon res, top feeding with a timer exactly like MrDizzle.

The idea of the 4:1 perlite to coca mix is for aeration, and the the smart pots are aeration containers.

I could use the same ratio in my smart pot and how is a hempy pot going to be better then this? Because of the little res at the bottom?

Im open for all opinions, I just want to make the best choice and I already have these 30 gallon smart pots ready to go.

I could still drill a hole in the side of the smart pot if its really needed, and add a plastic container holder to catch the run off water this would act as the "hempy" res but in a smart pot?

I'm not hell bent intent on using the smart pots, just want to know why this would not be as good as a larger hempy bucket.

Thanks,

Comercial

Aligee

Aligee

...smartpots all the way bro I'm using various sizes for moms and flowers with a perlite/coco ratio with superior results hand fed /or flood/drain works amazing roots all thruout the SP these are where it's at for sure I highly recommend them to all !!! good luck !!! ali G ... =)

C

CannaCaino

Comercial,

I'm in the same boat right now. It seems like if you went with 20 or 30 gallon smart pots with that ratio of perlite, you should be good to go for 3 days between waterings, I would think. It would be as much coco as about a 7 gallon smart pot, so it seems like there would be enough water retention there.

Thanks for bringing this up, I would love to hear others input.

I'd also like to know how you would catch the runoff from that. The 30 gallons are 2ft. in diameter, so I'm not sure at this moment what I would catch runoff in. I'll have to think about that. I think this is one area where the tote with a drain in the side might be superior. It easy to just catch the runoff in a bucket like Dizzle is doing.

C

Comercial

With a big tote.

Comercial,

I'm in the same boat right now. It seems like if you went with 20 or 30 gallon smart pots with that ratio of perlite, you should be good to go for 3 days between waterings, I would think. It would be as much coco as about a 7 gallon smart pot, so it seems like there would be enough water retention there.

Thanks for bringing this up, I would love to hear others input.

I'd also like to know how you would catch the runoff from that. The 30 gallons are 2ft. in diameter, so I'm not sure at this moment what I would catch runoff in. I'll have to think about that. I think this is one area where the tote with a drain in the side might be superior. It easy to just catch the runoff in a bucket like Dizzle is doing.

I was planning on putting the 30 gallon smart pot on top of one of the best plastics 27 gallon totes. You know the same ones used for most DIY Under currents and MPB's with the yellow tops.

I was going to drill a bunch of holes in the lid of the tote.
Then put a 1/2''hole with fitting at the bottom just like the MPB's.
Chain these all together with a 1/2'' hose to a drain. Or if you want it to go back to your res chain the 1/2'' holes together from tote to tote with "T"'s and hose to a pump thats connectd to a timer that comes on ever day for a few minutes to pump the run off water sitting in the bottom of the tote back to the feed res.

What I was thinking of doing was, drilling a bunch of small holes in the bottom of the 30 gallon smart pot, put a screen on inside bottom of the smart pot. So the perlite/coco cant fall out the bottom. And would make it easier for the smart pot to drain. I took this idea kinda from Mrdizzle.

THen you have the root pruning and aeration of the smart pot, along with a large area for the roots to build.

Any thoughts on this, would be great. I'm deciding tomorrow either I do this or some kind of hempy. But I already have the smart pots, so I would like to save the money. And use the smart pots. But not at the cost of a headache or less yield. Mr Dizzle told me as long as you can aerate the medium fast and the container is big enough, it should be just as good as the hempy.

This will of course be on a auto drip top feed system.

Thanks,

Comercial

J

Jsän

2ft diameter? they sell water heater drip pans about that size. i think the walls on them are only 4 inches high but it has the drain spouts already fitted. 1" threaded drain spout.

they should be great for "run-off pans".
Sorry if i am confused...
Camco Polyethylene Water Heater Drip Pan- Home Depot

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Explosive growth

In this discussion, the one thing I have not heard anyone bring up is the explosive growth plants have when the roots hit the rezzie in the hempy. That doesn't happen in the smartpots right. Hempys success is more than jus the mixture of coco to perlite or whatever else u use as a medium ( I personally run 60/40 hydroton/chunky coco).
I've also pondered a combination smartpot hempy if u will, that sounds promising and I will b experimenting soon.
Good luck,
Confu...

C

Comercial

no need to poke holes in the smartpots

OK, great I was wondering how that would hold up. Based on the material there made out of. What do you think of returning the run off to the res? Would save on a alot of nutes.

Actually what do you think of my idea in general...hahaha. I cant find that janus thread you spoke of, is that her full screen name.

Thanks,

Comercial.

C

Comercial

In this discussion, the one thing I have not heard anyone bring up is the explosive growth plants have when the roots hit the rezzie in the hempy. That doesn't happen in the smartpots right. Hempys success is more than jus the mixture of coco to perlite or whatever else u use as a medium ( I personally run 60/40 hydroton/chunky coco).
I've also pondered a combination smartpot hempy if u will, that sounds promising and I will b experimenting soon.
Good luck,
Confu...

I like your idea, of a hempy smart pot. My mind has been spinning for days. Mrdizzle was telling me its not so much the rez in the hempy. That creates the explosive growth, but the ability to aerate the medium so you can water more. Like 1 minute every 15. And of course container size, with larger veg times.

Correct me if im wrong dizzle, didnt you say you only did the hempy cause you had the totes done? And next round would not be doing them but another higher perlite to coco ration. I hope I didn't twist your words.

-Comercial

aleYarok

aleYarok

yeah i cant imagine cutting or poking any kind of holes in a 30 gallon smart pot could be good. seems like it would seriously fuck up the rigidness and would create a perfect spot for the whole pot to rip with all that coco in it??

check out JPlords vert coco thread. i like how he is draining.

M

mrdizzle

I think its more to do with the fact they are never without water, where if you just hand feed them then the medium would dry out some between feedings and slow growth. Northone also does a system very much like this

he talks about his system here

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
I think its more to do with the fact they are never without water, where if you just hand feed them then the medium would dry out some between feedings and slow growth. Northone also does a system very much like this

he talks about his system here

Its funny u posted that thread here, after seeing JK metion Janus a million times, i finally looked it up today and now I understand why u are rocking the chunky perilite. This thread is uber packed with solid information!!! Wheels r turing and im thinking bout doing a side by side vs my chow mix set up.

Im still trippin how he gets those trees so big off a 6 gal bucket!! WTF!!
Confu...

Top Bottom