Hermie probs

• Thread starter kd0afk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kd0afk

Every plant I have grown from seed except for one had turned out to be either a male or hermaphrodite. Here are photos of my latest genetic grab-bag. Both photos are from the same plant.
single pollen sac
2011-05-04_18-15-51_600.jpg

pollen sac growing out of the middle of a female flower
Very curious.
2011-05-04_18-30-29_480.jpg

The plant naturally split itself at the third node.
Maybe I can find a home for it on Polk street. Hehe.

K

kd0afk

On a related note, I've found that a good way to tell the difference between male and female sex organs is that the pollen sac is on a stalk and the flower doesn't, so even if it doesn't have that "football" shape, if it has that stalk, then pull it.

J

johndeere

Either Ed Rosenthal or Jorge Cervantes one touch on this subject , Its a good read if you search for it. Basically Blue spectum lights, higher humidity ,temperatures in the 70s ,and a few other variables can contribute to higher female ratios. If you want to guarantee higher female ratios grow more plants then you need, then toss males and less vigorous phenos. Good Luck

K

kd0afk

or do what I'm going to do tomorrow, buy clones, one more than I need and use the extra for a mother. It kind of ticks me off a bit about SPARC, where I get my clones and meds. Vets get a 15% discount (pretty much the only club that does in the bay area) plus, all patients there get $25 back with every $260 spent there so its like getting a 25% discount when all is said and done. Anyhoo, whenever I need clones they are always out of blue dream. I love blue dream, I will take it grieenn outdoors with miracle grow over and hydro gdp.
Sorry about the rant.
Could flowering them early be a contributing factor? I was going for a sog with a lot of short plants.

budboy299

budboy299

If every plant you have grown from seed has been male or hermie....very first thing I would do is question the source of the seeds.
Then look at other variables such as environmental stresses.

hate to get a bunch of clones and have them hermie too because of an environmental stress. (light leak, rootbound, something given to them that interfered with hormone production, etc)

budboy299

budboy299

I had a bunch in my backyard go hermie on me. Damn neighbor installed a kick-ass motion detector light on his house. Then the damn cat he had kept setting it off at night and the light shone directly on them for a few mins at a time, all night. about a week later, male flowers along with the female flowers. Totally pissed me off but what can you do...short of killing a cat (I actually like the cat).

B

BavarianFarmer

Get some "reverse" by dutch master. it will turn that dyke straight again.

Top Bottom