Hermies cause seeds, right?!?!

• Thread starter Tank333
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tank333

Tank333

So, I just gotta ask to make sure. My partner tried to tell me yesterday to keep the girl in the flower room even after she's thrown out a bunch of dicks... he says "Oh, it'll be fine. Those male flowers don't put out hardly any pollen. If anything, you'll get a couple seeds on the one plant, and that's it!".

Then he tried to convince me that seeds from a hermie are the exact same as feminized seeds. They're hermie seeds either way, according to him. From what I understand, there is a VERY distinct difference between hermie seeds and femm'd seeds. Is this true, or am I completely off base here?

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

Well, I have seen it both ways... I have grown out bagseed before and had a great harvest with no hermies... But on the other hand, I had a Blue Mystic plant that hermied and pollinated itself and made a ton of seeds and a friend of mine grew them out and ended up with a bunch of plants that did the same thing...

So, I think it depends on the stability of your genetics that you are growing out...

I also have a few strains that will put out a dick or two during the last week no matter what I do... They never have pollen in them tho so you might want to carefully pull out one of the flowers and take it into another room and bust it open and check for pollen just to be safe...

It also depends on how far into flower you are... The last week or two won't make much of a difference...

Tank333

Tank333

I'm thinking its from unstable genetics. This guy "bred" his own version of a purple trainwreck x White Frost, and I think its just not as awesome as he makes it out to be. He says he's got 6 or 7 girls with nanners on em, and he "never" gets seeds.

I just wish he had told me when we started that these damn things have hermie tendencies BEFORE he sent me a dozen of them to flower out! This girl's only 5 weeks into flower, and the rest haven't. Even started yet...

420alldaze

420alldaze

that sucks bro, most likely hermies. best of luck bro. 42o

smartcalyx

smartcalyx

if theres nanners, theres probably gonna be seeds. its almost impossible to find em all.

ethnoman

ethnoman

Think about it in evolutionary terms.

Why would a plant be a hermaphrodite, or put another way, what advantage does it confer? The answer is that hermaphoditism in plants exists to yup the reproductive potential.

Dichogamy (sequential hermaphoditism [as commonly seen in cannabis plants]) is often a way of reducing the chance of self-pollination, but if no other plants are around to exchange gametes, then self-pollination is better than no pollination.

My point is that if you have a self-compatible plant, such as cannabis, that is a hermaphrodite, you will end up with seeds.

The upshot - get that nanner out of your flower room.

Chobble

Chobble

Trust me. Even 10 pollen sacks on one plant will start fucking your shit up, It can vary on strains but its better to be safe then sorry.

Feminized seeds are the result of a hermaphroditic fe"male", but not in the way that you have it happening there. Its generally a separate cut that is coerced to produce male flowers.

Now we're going back to genetics for how the hermpridation process works.. Because a previously Female male will still (or should still) carry the genetic code XX, so any pollen produced should also carry the genetic code XX(Female) instead of XY (Male).

In turn, when you combine the calyx with the pollen you get... (XX)(XX) = XX not (XX)(XY)=?

Thus why hermaphrodites are a problem in feminized seeds.

Chobble

Top Bottom