Hey CO members, housing question.

• Thread starter MMAFanJustin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MMAFanJustin

I am trying to find a place to rent in Colorado, to start growing, coming from Minnesota. Im having a hard time finding a house that will allow marijuana to be grown in, is there any kind of websites or companys that specialize in having houses rented for the sole purpose of grow houses?

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

I think most rental contracts in CO now come with a no-grow clause... I'd find a small place up in the mountains and not say a word about growing...

hempmerican

hempmerican

look on CL. I lived in Denver for awhile and noticed alot of housing ads that discretely mentioned there was room for growing.

S

SMOKE-ONE

I moved from Tx, about 10 monthes ago.It was hard to find a house at 1st.I finally found the perfect house on CL.While my landlord was showing me the house,she mentioned the previous tenants always bothered her about fixing things around the house.I quickly told her if she rented me the house I would fix whatever broke around the house.The house wasnt quite ready to be rented but I offered to fix the place up a bit on my dime.She rented me the house10 monthes ago and the last time I saw her was when I signed the lease.She lives outta town and I mail the rent to her every month.I didnt tellher I grow and it didnt say anyyhing about it in the lease.I know someone who found a perfect spot by posting a reverse ad on CL.Jus say youre looking for a mmj friendly property .You might get lucky.Good Luck!!! Hit me up with a pm.I got some info u might could use.Jus dont want to post it for all the world to see lol

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

^^^^THAT is how ya do it^^^^ happy renter, happy absentee landlady, life is good. Requires a little more effort on your part to keep the house in good repair, but that is worth it on so many levels.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I moved from Tx, about 10 monthes ago.It was hard to find a house at 1st.I finally found the perfect house on CL.While my landlord was showing me the house,she mentioned the previous tenants always bothered her about fixing things around the house.I quickly told her if she rented me the house I would fix whatever broke around the house.The house wasnt quite ready to be rented but I offered to fix the place up a bit on my dime.She rented me the house10 monthes ago and the last time I saw her was when I signed the lease.She lives outta town and I mail the rent to her every month.I didnt tellher I grow and it didnt say anyyhing about it in the lease.I know someone who found a perfect spot by posting a reverse ad on CL.Jus say youre looking for a mmj friendly property .You might get lucky.Good Luck!!! Hit me up with a pm.I got some info u might could use.Jus dont want to post it for all the world to see lol
You won the MMJ basement cultivation lottery, congrats!

Aladeen OG

Aladeen OG

find a property that will allow decent ventialtion (hell townhouses work sometimes)

make sure its a spot where there isnt a water heater, filter to be changed, anything to get to. my house for example (or the one i just sold) the lower rooms had NOTHING In them besides the vent ducts and power. so technically speaking, when people give you your REQUIRED 24 hr notice, spray your house down make it fresh, and put your dog in the grow room with the door shut and locked. they have zero reason to enter, nor would they want to with a dog scratchin to get out on the other side.
in all my years of renting i've only had an "inspection" once and it was for insurance purposes. they changed filters and shit until i offered the landlord to just do it myself, then the only reason they need to come in is if something breaks that you need (my garbage disposal was broke for like 2 years lol). me personally i would never tell them i grow or look for it with that in mind. just find a good spot, be a good person/neighbor, and just crop. simple as that. but when you let someone know, they'll either let other people know or if shit goes wrong its going right over your head. dont tell anyone. find a legit spot. thats it. if you say you're going to grow weed even if they agree they'll be on your spot 10x harder than if they didnt know just to make sure the place isnt getting burnt down. find a NICE landlord, or an out of state situation, or anything that details in the lease about inspections and everything, find that backroom or basement.... lock it up. if they ever ask tell em unless you want my dog eating you, or say you have a friend who is a DJ and locks all his equip. in there cause youre a good guy.... plenty of ways to do it without incriminating yourself.... to cops or robbers.

Aladeen OG

Aladeen OG

and even if they catch your if youre within your boundaries it becomes a somewhat "no contest"... the landlord can choose to evict your or not, but it wont count as a judgement thanks to our newly mended constitution, it turns into like a mutual breaking of contract not a crime.... if youre within your lane if you know what i mean.

M

MMAFanJustin

Some good advice in here, thanks everyone.
Sounds like I should not say a word about it, I was just going to so I could get the benefit of the doubt, but after contacting about 100 houses, everyone of them has said no to the idea. It looks like I should take your guys' advice.

Aladeen OG

Aladeen OG

if you owned a property, and someone called and said they have a dynamite making business for the garage that they know how to keep "safe" would you rent to them?

nah, you wouldnt touch that with a ten foot pole. you're creating another reason for them to choose the other eligible tenant over you. just stay cool, be joe schmoe, joe miller, whoever you gotta be to get you in and keep them out and not question shit. i would never speak of a grow cause theyd wait til i set up and blackmail me.... oh i need an OZ a month min, then turns into qp, next thing you know your rent all included is 2500, when you coulda kept your mouth shut to the grandma with the sweet spot witth basement and backyard for 1100.

and just so you know in CO if youre even near borderline legal amounts your worries are ripper robbers and theives, not cops. my house was two blocks from a police station and i had zero hesitation to call those fuckers if people tried shit. if your legit and have nothing to hide use that shit to your advantage.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

if you owned a property, and someone called and said they have a dynamite making business for the garage that they know how to keep "safe" would you rent to them?

nah, you wouldnt touch that with a ten foot pole. you're creating another reason for them to choose the other eligible tenant over you. just stay cool, be joe schmoe, joe miller, whoever you gotta be to get you in and keep them out and not question shit. i would never speak of a grow cause theyd wait til i set up and blackmail me.... oh i need an OZ a month min, then turns into qp, next thing you know your rent all included is 2500, when you coulda kept your mouth shut to the grandma with the sweet spot witth basement and backyard for 1100.

and just so you know in CO if youre even near borderline legal amounts your worries are ripper robbers and theives, not cops. my house was two blocks from a police station and i had zero hesitation to call those fuckers if people tried shit. if your legit and have nothing to hide use that shit to your advantage.
Aladeen, quick correction. A lease is between two private parties. Sometimes the apartment is owned by someone who is affiliated or the apartment complex is owned by a multi-state company, then they are bound by the USC, which still does not recognize marijuana, it's use, possession, etc.

My apartment complex has a specific clause that mentions MMJ cultivation, and said no possession of drugs or other equipment. If someone even suspects you are growing, if they see a pipe they will evict without warning the first time.

A20 gives you zero protection in my example because the lease is an agreement between two private parties, and my constitutional right to grow does not trump a written agreement.

Aladeen OG

Aladeen OG

well then read the lease. solves that. herb is not considered a manufactured drug unless your doing it illegal or have concentrated it in any form.unless the clause in your contract says so. the new lease i signed when i rented it did say it includes marijuana exluding medical use. its a private property. as long as your bills are one time and stay true to everything you should have no problem. the law IS on your side if you stay legit.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

well then read the lease. solves that. herb is not considered a manufactured drug unless your doing it illegal or have concentrated it in any form.unless the clause in your contract says so. the new lease i signed when i rented it did say it includes marijuana exluding medical use. its a private property. as long as your bills are one time and stay true to everything you should have no problem. the law IS on your side if you stay legit.
I don't want to be picky, but my situation involves a parent company with properties in several states, not homeowners trying to make a few bucks.

My lease specifically addresses marijuana cultivation, possession, and use. I can lose the apartment and the deposit just for being suspected. No arrest, no charges needed, just an accusation. It's not ideal and obviously I am not growing but I couldn't miss the opportunity.

My larger point was that your rights as a patient under A20 do not protect you in a private transaction, and renting an apartment or house from a company that also is located out-of-state is a private transaction. Your rights as a red card holder don't give you a right to grow or live wherever you want. I'm simply saying what you mentioned first, to read the lease. I bet less than half of renters read the entire lease before signing it. I know a few guys who subscribe to the 'better to ask forgiveness than permission'.

Obviously people's mileage will vary.

trippinballz

trippinballz

A64 gives every real property owner in Colorado the right to prohibit ANY marijuana use, growing, or possession on their property. This right supercedes all other individual rights offered under A64. It also allows eviction within 3 days with no legal recourse should someone decide they don't have to listen to the policies set by the owner of the property.

be safe (smart) all

Latest posts

Top Bottom