Hey I'm looking at buying a greenhouse.

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

:party0044:If anyone has any suggestions,advice or places to look at when purchasing.

We're moving soon and will be getting a place that is pretty isolated.

I would be looking at around 10ft by 20ft. Also if possible a way to black out the greenhouse for early grows mid summer as well to keep unwanted eyes from seeing in. As well for winter time when I keep the lights going past dark.
I'm sure there is alot to learn but i'm game.

cannabeans

cannabeans

here is where i bought mine from....

farmtek.com

many styles and sizes to choose from.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Foreverflowering .com(bad ass light dep houses,pricey)
Biodome revolution.com(bitchin extreme enviro greenhouses)
solexx greenhouses.com(nice)
Conelies greenhouse.com(commercial supplier)
Take a look around,depends on budget!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

nice kolah ill be doin the same this winter except block around bottom and welding the frame together,havent decided on covering yet but probably solexx panels.By the way its more for mama's veggie starts than anything else but there might be a little room in their for...

K

kolah

The lumber was about 700 bucks. I love the Solex 8mm corrugated panels but they are way tooo pricey and really they do not have any real R-factor in comparison with plastic. I used 6 ml greenhouse plastic and put one layer inside and another on the outside. Greenhouse plastic (6ml) will last 4-5 years. They now have an 11 and 12ml which is even better. I can not justify paying the big bucks for the Solexx stuff.

We get 60-70 mph winds up here so this GH is built like a brick shithouse. I am building a 2nd one this Spring. Many of those pre-kit GH's are pretty flimsey, IMO..not to mention pricey as all hell.

I think hoop-style (PVC) greenhouses are the cheapest and easiest to build. I just don't care for the looks. 800 bucks would build you a bigass hoop house covered in plastic.

P

Purple Grapes

I would look into a carport greenhouse. Depending on your budget, this may be best for you. There are grow journals all over the web of people using carport greenhouses.

R

rhizoidal

Careful of those polycabonate kit greenhouses. They can be very flimsy and are a nightmare to set up. Building your own is the way to go IMO.

BudderBreakfast

BudderBreakfast

Foreverflowering .com(bad ass light dep houses,pricey)
Biodome revolution.com(bitchin extreme enviro greenhouses)
solexx greenhouses.com(nice)
Conelies greenhouse.com(commercial supplier)
Take a look around,depends on budget!

yea if your environment is not extreme i would build hoop houses, but if its pvc you will have most likely just have to top and train them to not be over 7' depending on when your starting, but if you want something permanent definitely think about building a large dome greenhouse.

i built these 6 months ago and they have survived over 70 mph winds, i used pvc snap clamps from greenhouse megastore to hold the plastic to the pvc and its real simple and easy these are the plans i used to make them depending on how mild the climate you can either close up the ends of i leave mine open and they will survived down to to the high 20s with no heat and no damage shown but that was only 2 days every other night in the 30s or 40s
http://www.albertahomegardening.com/how-to-build-an-inexpensive-hoop-style-greenhouse/

IMG 7113
B

bckwht

expansion mansion

im posting in regards to the people who are saying GH kits are usually flimsy..i totally agree with the little kits but does anyone have any experience with an expansion mansion GH kit, environmentaly controlled and about 42w x 120L...I only ask bc i am looking at a greenhouse for other reasons than growing the good grass

Kolah i love the look of yours, I cant grow ganja in a greenhouse as im not in a med state but always wanted one similar to yours but maybe with glass..more for my gf bc she loves flowers n what not so maybe it would get her into growing something

K

kolah

I am building a second greenhouse this Spring similar to my first. The new one will be wood framed but with all clear glass that I salvaged for free off of Craigs List.

I still like those hoop houses a lot (and thier cost).

Hey BudderBreakfast, what type of clamps are you using to hold the plastic to the hoops? What type of plastic will withstand the winds at the fasteners?

D

Devlove

Hey budder, looking nice I saw those plans awhile back, sounds like you're happy with it think I might go with those plans, what kind of exhaust fans you have in there, what are your dimensions, dep?

Dunge

Dunge

I had some luck with a cheep carport frame covered with greenhouse plastic.
Rigged up an inner black plastic tent driven by a garage door opener that automated the blackout function nicely.
Summer weather went to crap in mid July and forced an early harvest.

I plan to run the same rig this summer with fewer varieties and fewer plants.
Will do some planning for emergency heating. The easiest heat source would be a propane flame, but I am concerned about the combustion water making the tent air too wet.

Have a look at how "lash up" a grow can be.

Early harvest, but lots of good smoking bud none the less. (some varieties not so good and no longer in my stable)

BudderBreakfast

BudderBreakfast

devlove- really easy to construct and has withstood severe winds. i just leave the ends open and i get good breezes over here and its never too cold so i dont have an exhaust fan. i do have one revolving regular circulation fan in the center to keep air moving especially some early mornings during the fog. i made 2 that 12 x 16. i dont think im gonna do any light depot since im still harvesting just vegging indoors but i may change my mind it would be easy just to pull some blackout plastic over the hoops by yourself if with just one person for help.

BudderBreakfast

BudderBreakfast

hah thats sick automated light dep with a garage opener

D

Devlove

Hey dunge I read through that journal, I was wondering if you could post how you did that garage door opener mechanism, im sure it ain't too tricky, I will prob just have curtain on pulley system on rods throughout the interior.

Dunge

Dunge

The key to simple automation of a garage door opener for light deprivation is what is called a "latching relay".
When you push the button to command the opener to travel to its "other" location, you can hold down that button for as long as you like and the device will only travel once. This allows a simple 24 hour timer to switch on for an hour twice per day and the drive will travel to the other position.
I built a light weight clam shell tent of black plastic, thin lumber, and string to pivot over my plants.
Had to put the thing inside of a plastic covered carport to keep wind at bay. Black plastic covered North side of greenhouse and strips were hung where needed to block light when closed.
Then I had to automate the watering.
Grew in supersoil filled 3 gallon bags and pots.
Forced ventilation is another important aspect.
I have one fan that ventilates the entire tent when the temp gets above 80 F.
Another fan ventilates the dark tent when closed to prevent high humidity.
Summer 2011 was my first try and cold weather in July was a problem.
This year I will run with few changes.
Fewer plants, select strains, and better plant prep.
I will try to have the clones ready to go outside by mid May.
Three to four weeks of veg, then activate the blackout tent for the quickly passing summer in Fairbanks Alaska.

Top Bottom