Hey, new guy here, how’s it goin’?

• Thread starter 1200Kawboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1200Kawboy

1200Kawboy

Hi, new here. Not new to indoor growing, but it it sure has changed in the the last ten years or so....and I STILL feel SOOooo WEIRD in our local dispensary...45 years of conditioning is hard to shake, ya know?
Short bio: 56 year old guy, last 4 years have been really rough. Torn bicep reveals a terminal cancer diagnosis the same week my Dad unexpectedly dies, my company’s owner passes that same effin’ week, (leaving me to wonder IF I will have a job), and then the build up to my divorce after 27 years...and MORE, blah, blah...
But the great part about cancer is I immediately qualified for a Illinois Med card, and with that, the ability to legally grow.
So here I am, with my entry into the Internet World of Hobby/Medical growing.
I took a space in my split level house and put in a 40” door into my wall/attic. Pull down a set of fold up steps, and it is layed out as a 4’ x 8’ floor, split into 2- 4’ x4’ rooms, fed by 2 separate power circuits. Due to the roof pitch, the short wall is 6’ 3” and the tall side is 8’, for a total of about 120 cubic foot per room. I have insulated the ceiling and walls, and have each half painted flat white and one room equipped with a digitally controlled dedicated air conditioner and heater. I have a humidifier with level sensor, and have not needed a dehumidifier as I have held anywhere from 40-60% steadily. Incoming lower air is filtered by velcro mounted, hand cut carbon filter pads covering the grate, the exhaust air being being pulled through a ceiling mounted carbon filter, by a 4” blower.
All this to support a Mars Hydro TS 3000 led, with the drivers mounted outside the room. I can hang the light as high as 60” from the floor with proper clearance above. Plans are to floor mount a Lazy Susan and individually scrog my next batch. The photograph is my first batch, Star Dawg, a sativa dominant strain, about 40 days from harvest right now...
By law, we are allowed no more than 5 plants over 5 inches. So I started 8 in a 20” x 20” tent under a Roleadro UFO lamp and turned them back as soon as they hit the fourth joint +/-.
From there, I kept 4 females and moved them to my new room, and flowered a male in the tent. I watched till the first flower popped and put him in the garage, on a plate and covered with a paper grocery bag, for a few days. Rattled him good, cut the stalk, and put the plant and bag in garbage can and sprayed it, me, and general area with my hose. This was days 20-23 of the lights going 12/12.
Removed 2 females to said garage, and covered them with garbage bags. I cut a low slit in each and pulled out a bud. Painted each one on the lower flowers, and let sit all night.
Then, just before 5am, when my dark cycle starts, I sprayed the buds with water, removed the bags and sprayed the whole plant, killed the main room fan, and put them back. At 5 pm, turned the floor fan back on. That was a week ago. ALL indications are that I have a very small batch of seeds, and a load of bud, due imminently.😀
Wow, that’s a lot when I read it. And there’s more.
To be brief, I viewed my divorce as a chance to be free again, do long trips on my bike, like I did for so many years.
But then, at a genuine low spot in it all, I got the best thing ever.
A perfect dog. He came with the name Loki. My favorite breed, a purebred German Shepherd, about 3 years old now. A runaway, passed to two different families before coming to me. Where he STAYS, cuz he kicks ass👍
And today, after having this Multiple Myeloma for 7 years, and knowing for almost 4 1/2, I have received news that wasn’t technically possible when I originally received my diagnosis,
“You are in Remission.”
Bong, Anyone?!!!!🥳😎
that’s it for now. If anyone has any comments, questions, criticisms, whatever, bring em on.
I enjoy a lively fire circle, so to speak...12K

Hey new guy here hows it goin
Last edited:
Mikelej14

Mikelej14

That's a hell of a post. Kinda loss of words thing going on. Great looking grow and very well executed by the sounds of it. Welcome to the farm :p

1200Kawboy

1200Kawboy

Thanks,
And I have plans...
To enjoy a variety, I will be splitting the five plants between my current room with a new HLG 550V2R, and putting the Mars Hydro in a 3’ x 3’ tent. So I can even do a sativa, an indica, and keep a male or do seedlings/clones in my little tent. I AM digging this hobby.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Welcome to the farm nice clean set up happy growing . Od .

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Thanks,
And I have plans...
To enjoy a variety, I will be splitting the five plants between my current room with a new HLG 550V2R, and putting the Mars Hydro in a 3’ x 3’ tent. So I can even do a sativa, an indica, and keep a male or do seedlings/clones in my little tent. I AM digging this hobby.
Thats a kick ass set up i wish i had the room to do that here where im at. One day the kids will be grown and ill have a new grow room 🤣

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Thanks,
And I have plans...
Hi, new here. Not new to indoor growing, but it it sure has changed in the the last ten years or so....and I STILL feel SOOooo WEIRD in our local dispensary...45 years of conditioning is hard to shake, ya know?
Short bio: 56 year old guy, last 4 years have been really rough. Torn bicep reveals a terminal cancer diagnosis the same week my Dad unexpectedly dies, my company’s owner passes that same effin’ week, (leaving me to wonder IF I will have a job), and then the build up to my divorce after 27 years...and MORE, blah, blah...
But the great part about cancer is I immediately qualified for a Illinois Med card, and with that, the ability to legally grow.
So here I am, with my entry into the Internet World of Hobby/Medical growing.
I took a space in my split level house and put in a 40” door into my wall/attic. Pull down a set of fold up steps, and it is layed out as a 4’ x 8’ floor, split into 2- 4’ x4’ rooms, fed by 2 separate power circuits. Due to the roof pitch, the short wall is 6’ 3” and the tall side is 8’, for a total of about 120 cubic foot per room. I have insulated the ceiling and walls, and have each half painted flat white and one room equipped with a digitally controlled dedicated air conditioner and heater. I have a humidifier with level sensor, and have not needed a dehumidifier as I have held anywhere from 40-60% steadily. Incoming lower air is filtered by velcro mounted, hand cut carbon filter pads covering the grate, the exhaust air being being pulled through a ceiling mounted carbon filter, by a 4” blower.
All this to support a Mars Hydro TS 3000 led, with the drivers mounted outside the room. I can hang the light as high as 60” from the floor with proper clearance above. Plans are to floor mount a Lazy Susan and individually scrog my next batch. The photograph is my first batch, Star Dawg, a sativa dominant strain, about 40 days from harvest right now...
By law, we are allowed no more than 5 plants over 5 inches. So I started 8 in a 20” x 20” tent under a Roleadro UFO lamp and turned them back as soon as they hit the fourth joint +/-.
From there, I kept 4 females and moved them to my new room, and flowered a male in the tent. I watched till the first flower popped and put him in the garage, on a plate and covered with a paper grocery bag, for a few days. Rattled him good, cut the stalk, and put the plant and bag in garbage can and sprayed it, me, and general area with my hose. This was days 20-23 of the lights going 12/12.
Removed 2 females to said garage, and covered them with garbage bags. I cut a low slit in each and pulled out a bud. Painted each one on the lower flowers, and let sit all night.
Then, just before 5am, when my dark cycle starts, I sprayed the buds with water, removed the bags and sprayed the whole plant, killed the main room fan, and put them back. At 5 pm, turned the floor fan back on. That was a week ago. ALL indications are that I have a very small batch of seeds, and a load of bud, due imminently.😀
Wow, that’s a lot when I read it. And there’s more.
To be brief, I viewed my divorce as a chance to be free again, do long trips on my bike, like I did for so many years.
But then, at a genuine low spot in it all, I got the best thing ever.
A perfect dog. He came with the name Loki. My favorite breed, a purebred German Shepherd, about 3 years old now. A runaway, passed to two different families before coming to me. Where he STAYS, cuz he kicks ass👍
And today, after having this Multiple Myeloma for 7 years, and knowing for almost 4 1/2, I have received news that wasn’t technically possible when I originally received my diagnosis,
“You are in Remission.”
Bong, Anyone?!!!!🥳😎
that’s it for now. If anyone has any comments, questions, criticisms, whatever, bring em on.
I enjoy a lively fire circle, so to speak...12K
Welcome, it sound like you could use a smoke, that's quite a bio.. This is a good place to come for help, lots of folks here with a variety of growing styles willing to help you with your grow or maybe you can help with our grows. GL😀😀

1200Kawboy

1200Kawboy

It's been about 34 days since seeing my first pistils. I've made some first timer errors, like some nutrient burn, a bit of a learning curve with my first time using coco, and led lights instead of the MH lights I used years ago.
My efforts at seeding a bottom bud on two plants seems to be a success. Done at 21 days, the young seeds in their covers are starting to be visible by eye.
My buds seem to have stopped their verticle climb, and are putting on weight. The trichomes are REALLY starting to put on their show.
I'm anticipating cutting them down at the end of June.
And that means I sample an uncured bud, and a few bottles of my newest homebrewed beer, and my latest homemade wine for America's birthday 😎
See ya all in a couple weeks with an update....

IMG 20200530 181359246
IMG 20200530 181016467
revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
Funking WELCOME bro!!!!! Very nice setup and great choice going with StarDawg. How you like the ts3000? I use a ts1000 for my 4x2 veg tent and have no complaints thus far.

HLG?!?!?!?!?!? You went straight for the best, eh? 😎

Pulls up a chair to watch ya grow and kick cancer's ugly ass!

1200Kawboy

1200Kawboy

Hey bubblefunk, thanks for the “hi”gh, Man!
I got the Stardawg, and Wedding Cake, both photos, from my niece who is a professional grower near San Francisco. I asked for her personal choices of both a Sativa, and an Indica. She knows me SO WELL, he he! 😈🤪😎
So far, I am very happy with the Mars TS3000 lamp. It runs about 104 degrees at the hottest spots, so cool you can rest your hand on it no problem. It is rated for a 4’x4’ area, and since most companies are a bit “generous” with their ratings, and it can be dimmed, I decided to put it in a 3’x3’ tent. I think this will be great for 1 or 2 plants LST’ed.
As soon as my Stardawg grow finishes, I will be starting my first formal grow journal. Simultaneously, I’ll do 3 photo Wedding Cake’s in my room, and one feminized auto LSD 25 next to one fem’d auto Amnesia Haze in the new tent. I had never even heard of autoflowering weed before last month, so I just gotta try it!
The HLG 550v2 R Spec is rated for 5’x5’, and again, can be dimmed. This will replace the Mars in my 4’x4’ grow room this weekend.
Illinois Medical Card growers are limited to 5 plants taller than 5 inches. I see growing 3 or 4 in my room, then 1 or 2 in the tent, and my 20”x20” tent will be for clones or seed starts. Timed properly, I will always be legal, and maintain a perpetual cycle of pumping out several strains at a time if I choose.
I really dig muh weed, ya know?

Latest posts

Top Bottom