Hi, I'm the new guy in town... Micronutrient help...

• Thread starter OkieThunder
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OkieThunder

OkieThunder

I spent a lot of time over at Rollitup, but I finally had it with the community there. Just having a quick look around and I saw a sticky about beneficial insects, which is still a mystery at RIU, so I know that I'm in the right place! I just hope that this forum is a little more friendly than the last one, because it was hard to make friends there. Anyways, I'm into composting, huge worm bins, KNF/JADAM, Sub Irrigated Planters, probiotics, insectary, and closed loop farming. I also get my soil tested when I am having problems(this is the subject that didn't go well in RIU). I started getting my soil tested around 2016 and found that I have a recurring problem of manganese being too low, like constantly. I just wanted to know if anyone is on the same page as I am. It wasn't just manganese, but it would sometimes be Zn or B.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I don't know much about your problem but there are no dicks here, we're all friends so welcome.

Porky1982

Porky1982

Where at you sourcing you soil from. I grow in soil but have never considered getting it tested. I wouldn’t even know where to get it tested. I’ve also never had problems with my soil. Lots of organic stuff on here mate.
I spent a lot of time over at Rollitup, but I finally had it with the community there. Just having a quick look around and I saw a sticky about beneficial insects, which is still a mystery at RIU, so I know that I'm in the right place! I just hope that this forum is a little more friendly than the last one, because it was hard to make friends there. Anyways, I'm into composting, huge worm bins, KNF/JADAM, Sub Irrigated Planters, probiotics, insectary, and closed loop farming. I also get my soil tested when I am having problems(this is the subject that didn't go well in RIU). I started getting my soil tested around 2016 and found that I have a recurring problem of manganese being too low, like constantly. I just wanted to know if anyone is on the same page as I am. It wasn't just manganese, but it would sometimes be Zn or B.

OkieThunder

OkieThunder

I found that red wheat bran and greensand have a decent amount of manganese, so I started using it in my compost. However, I just found out that I have lambsquarter growing on my property and it's supposed to be a good Mn source.
DSC01117
DSC01128

This is Malibu Compost, the stuff with the surfing cow on the cover.
DSC01229

This is FoxFarm's HappyFrog
DSC01266

I had these tested because I thought that I was doing something wrong with my compost, so I had it tested(everything). Then, I bought some bag soil and I wasn't any better off. So, I knew that it wasn't just me. I was listening to the podcast Kis Organics https://www.kisorganics.com/pages/podcast and pod #6 was talking about soil remineralization. Dr. Steven Solomon talked about how cannabis is a manganese sensitive crop, which means that a Mn def could be devastating. He went on and said that it is hard to find zinc and manganese in natural forms and that it would take a dump truck of rock dust(he didn't specify which) to equal a cup of zinc. So, it seems we are very limited on Mn inputs. I started reading up on Mn def in soil and I came across this article that said that high organic matter(6% or higher), with a Ph of 6.5 or higher, would be deficient in manganese. When the organic matter increases, the amount of exchangeable manganese decreases due to formations of manganese and organic matter complexes. That describes a LOT of us. Look at the section called "organic matter"

OkieThunder

OkieThunder

Where at you sourcing you soil from. I grow in soil but have never considered getting it tested. I wouldn’t even know where to get it tested. I’ve also never had problems with my soil. Lots of organic stuff on here mate.
I have been making my own leaf mould compost with grass clippings, rabbit bedding(alfalfa), oak leaves, and rock dust. That was the picture above. However, I recently started using worm bins and running my compost through there and I've been having a lot better luck, but my compost tests look VERY similar to the Malibu Compost that I posted above. I don't think that EVERYONE will have the same problems as I do, like Hawaii soil is supposed to be very rich in Mn. So, this could just be a local problem that I'm having?

Porky1982

Porky1982

I have been making my own leaf mould compost with grass clippings, rabbit bedding(alfalfa), oak leaves, and rock dust. That was the picture above. However, I recently started using worm bins and running my compost through there and I've been having a lot better luck, but my compost tests look VERY similar to the Malibu Compost that I posted above. I don't think that EVERYONE will have the same problems as I do, like Hawaii soil is supposed to be very rich in Mn. So, this could just be a local problem that I'm having?
Sorry mate but their is no pics above.
Are you actually using dirt or just a mix of the stuff you mentioned above??
Ahh sorry just seen pics.
What are you trying to achieve??
Big outside plants water only to finish or something smaller inside.

Last edited:
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Welcome to the farmaly. No drama here. We just grow dank. You’re in the right place. Interested in your soil and knf process. Check out dragon flame genetics here on the farm and he breeds and grows in Hawaii, he’s all about knf and utilizing the fruits of his land. Happy grows.
BurnZ

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Hey okie , not many jerks here and real easy to make friends .....unless you are into complete defoliation of your plants , then things might get heated up 👻
And get ready for summer camp in Canada 2020 🇨🇦. 🤣

OkieThunder

OkieThunder

Sorry mate but their is no pics above.
Are you actually using dirt or just a mix of the stuff you mentioned above??
Ahh sorry just seen pics.
What are you trying to achieve??
Big outside plants water only to finish or something smaller inside.
Well, I have been growing for about 9yrs and I was looking for answers about micronutrients. I have been making my own compost, but I know that it could be better, there is always room for improvement. I'm currently doing a little of indoor and outdoor growing and I finished my first real outdoor harvest(finally legal in Oklahoma). I'm trying to get my grow dialed in because I'm having the same problem both indoor and out(micronutrients) because I'm using the same soil. I will get early yellowing sometimes with brown spots on it. I'm getting it under control but I still haven't mastered it yet. Here is a pic of my current grow that I just chopped a couple of weeks ago, it's Pineapple Fields from Dynasty Seeds.
DSC01496
DSC01527
DSC01528
DSC01529

OkieThunder

OkieThunder

Hey okie , not many jerks here and real easy to make friends .....unless you are into complete defoliation of your plants , then things might get heated up 👻
I'm actually the other way around, I need to trim/train my plants more. I'm currently growing too much larf lol. I have been watching Kyle Kushman recently trying to work in some of his methods. I figured that I would perfect my soil before I moved on to other aspects of growing, but I was stumped for a while I'll admit it. It felt like I hit a wall a couple of years ago and I'm just getting over it. I was hoping that I could figure out how to use TM-7 the right way, because it always does more harm than good when I use it. I read some articles that make sense, but it really didn't solve my problems. I mean, I'm not doing horribly or anything, I'm just trying to get dialed in to the point to where I don't have early yellowing anymore. I'm pretty sure that it's the same Mn problem that I have been dealing with, but it's a tricky problem even with soil testing.

OkieThunder

OkieThunder

Welcome to the farmaly. No drama here. We just grow dank. You’re in the right place. Interested in your soil and knf process. Check out dragon flame genetics here on the farm and he breeds and grows in Hawaii, he’s all about knf and utilizing the fruits of his land. Happy grows.
BurnZ
Thank you! I'm using Clackamas Coot's recipe mostly. I listened to a 3pt series that he had on Kis Organics and he really emphasized on the worm castings. He said that he started with 2yr old leaf mould and run it through the worm bin, which I did. However, I changed it up a little and sourced a couple of trailer fulls of produce. It turned out to be the best soil that I have made. I'm kinda new to KNF/JADAM but I have been using JADAM JLF in my sub irrigated planters(homemade earthboxes). Basically, I'm using the Gage Green method of probiotics in SIPs and I will use the JADAM ferments with it. I think that it works out that way because it's anaerobic bacteria with these ferments. I used some FPJ that I made from a roma tomato plant and it was some of the best veg inputs that I made. It seemed like it would cure any problem that I was having. I ran out of it and I tried to make more with other types of plants, but it just don't turn out the same. There was just something about that tomato plant that was special. I was growing this tomato plant in my hugelkultur bed, so I think that it had high brix or something because it produced a LOT of juice when I made it. It happened to be my first time when I did it, beginners luck?
DSC01083
DSC01085
DSC01087

I heard Drake(KNF Certification course) talk about picking plants during the darkest time of the day because there are certain hormones that escape to the roots during the day. So, I picking these weeds at 2-3am. I filled up a few 55gal drums with these TALL weeds that were probably 7-8ft tall. I tried to figure out what they were and it looks like they are "Tall Ragweed" and I also had Lambsquarter. I made some JADAM JLF out of each and kept them seperate.
DSC01369

OkieThunder

OkieThunder

Here is my earthboxes before I decided that they were too small. I mixed up Clackamas Coot's soil and used EM1 in the rez and Grokashi as a top-dressing. It took me a while to perfect the topdressing, but it's about a 2 week process. First, you topdress with the grokashi and you wait about 3-4 days to get fuzzy. I usually add malted barley seed and crab meal along with grokashi for the first topdressing. You will get this fuzz white mycelium. You can see the perlite and grokashi grain too.
DSC01261

DSC01262

What you do next is top-dress with compost. I happened to use Malibu Compost because my worm bin wasn't ready at that time. About a week after the compost is added, you should have increased the size of the mycelium mat and it should have grown through the compost layer. It's a lot healthier looking mycelium mat too. This is about the only way that I can keep from having that manganese issue. I hear that red wheat bran has a good source of Mn in it and that is what Grokashi is made out of. I even followed the recipe and made my own grokashi.

DSC01263

OkieThunder

OkieThunder

Here is a 10gal bucket of Grokashi that I made. I didn't have every input like the cera powder and beet juice, but it still worked.
DSC01212
DSC01213

Here is 10gal of home made (expanded)LABS
DSC01395

Top Bottom