High Mountain Germination (elevations Above 7000 Ft.)

• Thread starter pinbot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pinbot

pinbot

I have been having the hardest time getting seeds to pop and take. I was wondering if anyone else had an issue with this at higher elevations? I'm around a mile high in elevation ? I've had seeds pop no problem at sea level, high altitude is tough for me. Please help !
Pinbot

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Some people use a nail file to score the edge and make it easier to crack, not sure if sea lvl affects it.

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

what are your methods?

If you use sprouting seed teas, you can use the growth hormones and enzymes released by the sprouting barley seed...
scarification can also help as stated above.

pinbot

pinbot

Thanks for the input guys !
I usually use the paper towel method after soaking my beans over night. I've never tried the "scarification" but I guess it's worth a shot, I'm also a lil worried about the water in the tap. Buying water gets costly, would RO improve results ? My tap has something funky in it.

xavier7995

xavier7995

Been wrestling with the same issue, I am mystified and also at a high elevation. I have found it to be somewhat strain dependent. Been grasping at straws trying to figure it out.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Could be your water, I had seasonal trouble with well water when I lived about 9000ft, had to use spring water for seeds and clones and smallest plants. From the hose it was about 400ppm, which isn't excessive, but it must have been too mineral laden to be beneficial to the young plants.

Spring water helped greatly, pretty much resolved the issue.

coloradoBTC

coloradoBTC

this is not a recommendation, but after the seed has been softened by water I place the tip of the seed between my teeth and very slightly bite down. if you feel a hydraulic click you did good, if you hear a squishy crunch then the seed was bad or you bit too hard

my germ rates went way up after this

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
this is not a recommendation, but after the seed has been softened by water I place the tip of the seed between my teeth and very slightly bite down. if you feel a hydraulic click you did good, if you hear a squishy crunch then the seed was bad or you bit too hard

I do this as well, but I use tweezers instead.

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

I do this as well, but I use tweezers instead.
I do the same but use a surgical forceps..

Works great,,
ccJ

Latest posts

Top Bottom