High People! Intro & Questions

• Thread starter nshy79
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nshy79

nshy79

Hi, I'm Nadja and it's my first time growing if you don't count the times I accidently had weed busches in my yard after feeding the birds during a long winter. Growing indoors for several reasons and my purpose is to have fun while growing meds for well being and recreation. I recently germinated 4 seeds , one didn't pop, two were fast, one slow.
Planted these 3 and photos: is a week later. I got no good light or grow box yet because these seeds are from my ex stash so well...just giving it a try.
Gonna fix better light etc when my autoflower seeds arrive. Thinking of led but many write that hps is way better. Is it economic? Thinking of my electricity bill? :)
When the earliest can you tell the sex? Is it such a high probality that these 2 fastest growing are males that i'm wasting my time here?
How can I use the male plants?
Seeds are probably from some cookie strain (forgot the name).
Thankful for any advice!
-Nadja

High people intro  questions
High people intro  questions 2
High people intro  questions 3
firstcitizen

firstcitizen

First Citizen
Supporter
Welcome to the farm Nadja. Cultivation is a lot of fun and at the same time it makes you learn new things, but it is also a kind of meditation that brings peace to you. What light you use know? For first time you can get 1-2 cfl with cold white light. (6400 K) Then you'll figure out what to use HPS or LED.
My first box was a cardboard box with cfl. Then I bought a cheep fabric box and when i add HPS it was like a Chinese lamp. Finally, I made a wooden box of recycled wood. I was extremely happy to have a nail in my box. You can just put a nail to hang the cables or any other useful stuff. Real wooden box made it from recycled junk and it cost me only a little time, a few nails,silicone for sealing and four wheels. Wheels are not mandatory, but they have proven to be particularly effective if I want to move the box to clean it underneath it or to pull it out of the room because guests will come to me.

HPS is not economic. HPS has great consumption and radiates a lot of heat. But HPS makes good buds!
If you can get a digital choke because they are very efficient and their prices have fallen a lot. The digital throttle can drive HPS / MH, but it also has a relay and you can switch to 250,400,600 or 600 boost, for example. So if you want to start a small project, but if you want to expand you can only turn the relay and buy a more powerful bulb. The other thing is that the digital chokes produce 30% more efficient light than the mechanical ones, there is no oscillation of the bulb like the mechanical ones, and it prolongs the life of the lamps. (Digital are lighter and silent than mechanical ones ) If you use HPS you will need good ventilation.

Your box may have 2 holes. Bottom one hole for insertion of air. On the hole, put a filter net to prevent dust, junk, and bugs. At the top of the box you are doing other hole (opposite side and the top). But on the top hole you put a strong blower. You need and one weak blower to blow on plants or bulb.
Cold air will enter through the first hole at the bottom. It will go through the whole box and exit the top of the box, where is the second hole with a fan.

If you use HPS/MH is good to use cooltube. Cooltube you can homemade with hardened vase with 2 holes and a fan that sucks directly the warm air from the lamp.

For example HPS 600 w with lamp 600 w and fan 565 m3/h (50 w consumation) and air circulaiton fan (15 w consumation) and wilth all this the bill rice up with 60 euro per month. The tariff of the electric operator is different in different country. But here we have a night rate which is 2 times cheaper than the day rate. Typically projects run for 3 months. Unless you bloom some pure Sativa or doing a bridging project it can go more. If you use organic fertilizers and make some of them or buy them. You can get premium medical product without pesticides, fungicides or herbicides for less than 50 cents per 1 gr. So it is extremely cheap to grow very good quality without seeds. In fact, smoking is not addictive, but cultivation is very addictive. Cultivating of herb inspire me to grow all other cultures. (to grow my own food) So growing is a lot of fun and makes you to learn a lot of new thinks. Every day I learn something new and it makes me very happy. Growing will make you use your hands more.

After 2 weeks of veg. you can set the lights to glow 12 lights hours on/ 12 lights hours off.(bloom) From day 1 you count day 1 and after 2 weeks (bloom) you will see sexual characteristics. You'll need a timer. The electronic timers are better than the mechanics. You can find a very good cheap timer for 3-5 euros. Мale plants show first sex. They make bags filled with a polen. (balls) Female plants make calyx with white pistilcs (white hair or sometimes make brown-white hair). You can leave the plants longer for flowering and show a nice skirt. It takes a long time for a man to grow up to open the balls to pollinate, so do not worry about polluting plants.
The male can use it for pollination to produce your seed, but knowing nothing about the parents is not advisable to make seeds from this plants. You can make the man plant in a fertilizer for plants or cook it for you with milk/coconut oil.

Girl Scout Cookies? Breeder?

Good luck with the grow.

nshy79

nshy79

Welcome to the farm Nadja. Cultivation is a lot of fun and at the same time it makes you learn new things, but it is also a kind of meditation that brings peace to you. What light you use know? For first time you can get 1-2 cfl with cold white light. (6400 K) Then you'll figure out what to use HPS or LED.
My first box was a cardboard box with cfl. Then I bought a cheep fabric box and when i add HPS it was like a Chinese lamp. Finally, I made a wooden box of recycled wood. I was extremely happy to have a nail in my box. You can just put a nail to hang the cables or any other useful stuff. Real wooden box made it from recycled junk and it cost me only a little time, a few nails,silicone for sealing and four wheels. Wheels are not mandatory, but they have proven to be particularly effective if I want to move the box to clean it underneath it or to pull it out of the room because guests will come to me.

HPS is not economic. HPS has great consumption and radiates a lot of heat. But HPS makes good buds!
If you can get a digital choke because they are very efficient and their prices have fallen a lot. The digital throttle can drive HPS / MH, but it also has a relay and you can switch to 250,400,600 or 600 boost, for example. So if you want to start a small project, but if you want to expand you can only turn the relay and buy a more powerful bulb. The other thing is that the digital chokes produce 30% more efficient light than the mechanical ones, there is no oscillation of the bulb like the mechanical ones, and it prolongs the life of the lamps. (Digital are lighter and silent than mechanical ones ) If you use HPS you will need good ventilation.

Your box may have 2 holes. Bottom one hole for insertion of air. On the hole, put a filter net to prevent dust, junk, and bugs. At the top of the box you are doing other hole (opposite side and the top). But on the top hole you put a strong blower. You need and one weak blower to blow on plants or bulb.
Cold air will enter through the first hole at the bottom. It will go through the whole box and exit the top of the box, where is the second hole with a fan.

If you use HPS/MH is good to use cooltube. Cooltube you can homemade with hardened vase with 2 holes and a fan that sucks directly the warm air from the lamp.

For example HPS 600 w with lamp 600 w and fan 565 m3/h (50 w consumation) and air circulaiton fan (15 w consumation) and wilth all this the bill rice up with 60 euro per month. The tariff of the electric operator is different in different country. But here we have a night rate which is 2 times cheaper than the day rate. Typically projects run for 3 months. Unless you bloom some pure Sativa or doing a bridging project it can go more. If you use organic fertilizers and make some of them or buy them. You can get premium medical product without pesticides, fungicides or herbicides for less than 50 cents per 1 gr. So it is extremely cheap to grow very good quality without seeds. In fact, smoking is not addictive, but cultivation is very addictive. Cultivating of herb inspire me to grow all other cultures. (to grow my own food) So growing is a lot of fun and makes you to learn a lot of new thinks. Every day I learn something new and it makes me very happy. Growing will make you use your hands more.

After 2 weeks of veg. you can set the lights to glow 12 lights hours on/ 12 lights hours off.(bloom) From day 1 you count day 1 and after 2 weeks (bloom) you will see sexual characteristics. You'll need a timer. The electronic timers are better than the mechanics. You can find a very good cheap timer for 3-5 euros. Мale plants show first sex. They make bags filled with a polen. (balls) Female plants make calyx with white pistilcs (white hair or sometimes make brown-white hair). You can leave the plants longer for flowering and show a nice skirt. It takes a long time for a man to grow up to open the balls to pollinate, so do not worry about polluting plants.
The male can use it for pollination to produce your seed, but knowing nothing about the parents is not advisable to make seeds from this plants. You can make the man plant in a fertilizer for plants or cook it for you with milk/coconut oil.

Girl Scout Cookies? Breeder?

Good luck with the grow.
Hi, and thank you so much for all the valueale info! I will build a box!
I will start with cfl.
Not sure about the breeder, but it was the best strain I ever tried.
Got my autoflower seeds today (cheese and cookies from rqs.) Gonna have a look at this seed shop too. I am not looking for big yields yet just learning still so might go with some easy fast seeds for mild climate. Will cook and make smoothies from the Leafs if these show to be males.
I am also thinking of growing food and herbs for covering smell and for health. Like chili pepparmint and so. Space is limited but can maybe build something like a Tower for the food. What do you grow? Vegan?

Thanks again for your help!

kind regards
Nadja

Dan789

Dan789

Welcome, lots of info in the beginning section on lights and things necessary for a new grower. Good luck
Almost missed your crystals in along with your plants, good mojo to you.

firstcitizen

firstcitizen

First Citizen
Supporter
Hi, and thank you so much for all the valueale info! I will build a box!
I will start with cfl.
Not sure about the breeder, but it was the best strain I ever tried.
Got my autoflower seeds today (cheese and cookies from rqs.) Gonna have a look at this seed shop too. I am not looking for big yields yet just learning still so might go with some easy fast seeds for mild climate. Will cook and make smoothies from the Leafs if these show to be males.
I am also thinking of growing food and herbs for covering smell and for health. Like chili pepparmint and so. Space is limited but can maybe build something like a Tower for the food. What do you grow? Vegan?

Thanks again for your help!

kind regards
Nadja

You can find cheap 85 w cfl with cold white color (6400 k). Lamps under 85 w no great sense to buy. Unless you buy them because you need few days to prepare the box and the equipment. Because otherwise plats are slow growing. Plants grow again, but slower. Time is the most valuable resource. I had experience with a lot of cfl (5 w, 9 w, 15 w, 25 w, 28 w, 36 w, 45 w, 85 w, etc.) CFL are effective from near. At one point your box will looks like an octopus of very small energy-saving bulbs, then you are forced to put on a panel to be more comfortable to adjust and you will need a lot of wires. After that i start to add to the cfl small 70 w hps and so on... and a lot of pc fan. Тhen I took off them all and got 1 choke, 1 lamp and one powerful blower and got a lot of relief. But MH/HPS generate more heat. I warmed my dwelling with the heat from MH .
For good buds need strong and intense light. Cfl radiate heat too. Very useful inventory is a thermometer and a moisture meter. Humidity, temperature, CO2 and photosynthesis are related. If you do not have a room thermometer, you can check the temperature by hand. Put your hand at the level of the plant and if it is warm on your arm is very likely to be warm on the plant too. If you have heat stres the edges of the serrated leaves will begin to curl up . ( heat stress ) You can fix easy when add cold air in the box with fan. (for this you will need ventilation) You will need ventilation even some old pc vent or bathroom fan.
The better you grow the plant, the less smell it. The plant smells when it's stressed, when it's to warm, when it's hurt from light or heat burn, when you touch it, when it's hungry or whe it have nutrition burn, etc., but when the plant is happy it does not smell. The plant determines whether it is happy or not. It depends how well you grow you do not need ventilation if you grow 3-4 plants. Bigger plants smell more, because bigger leaf mass. Hurt/Unhappy flower plants smell very strong. Otherwise you will need a carbon filter.
Drying is a big problem, because it smells scary then. Think of drying from now.

I use combinations of different types of plants because I have seen positive and negative combinations of plants. Some plants, in combination with others, grow much more splendid because one plant produces organic gases that stimulate the growth of the other plant, but at the same time protect it from pests, diseases and pathogens. An example of such a combination is tomato and basil. At the same time, it is unique for salads.

I grow as many different kinds of plants as possible. (flowers, herbs, fruits, vegetables, and trees...)
Am i Vegan? I perceive myself as a free fruitarian. I prefere to eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, spices, roots and soo on. This is the best for my body (vegan food improve my health ) and mind becaus it makes me happy, it make myself feel good moral. I eat meat very rarely, I have eaten meat for the last year 3 times in exceptional cases. I do not intend to eat more meat. I just do not want and I do not need it. I can get the needed substances much easier and more enjoyable from plants and other source of energy. I watch on Animals as friends that i love and from which i can learn. I do not want to eat the animals also from an ethical point of view because I do not want to eat my friend. In fact, at one point my body was clean out of the meat, as well as many other toxins and substance. At one point I began to feel more, to taste more, to smell more. At one point it turned out that the meat smelled brutally of the carrion. To such an extent smell itself is enough not to eat it. Things are complex. When I changed my way of eating, something changed inside me because my way of thinking and perception of the surrounding world of my life changed. At one point I began to see how everything is connected and how we are in some way like relatives. But I believe everyone is free to believe in what they wants and to eat whatever they want.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Welcome to the farm.
Sadly, i cannot agree with happy plants don’t smell theory and i wouldn’t start a grow without a good carbon filter based on that. Not unless you are legal.
Leds are the best technology out there imo. Just a little pricey. Also it is better to diy a fixture rather than buying. Both spectrum and umol/j of leds are better than hps. Maybe the high end hps fixtures and bulbs put out better spectrum and better efficiency but they cost a good amount of money too. Plus you will need to buy bulbs constantly. Led is very good for hobby growers like me. Also there is a comparison grow between hps, mh and cob leds and cobs kicks ass with less wattage, without any loss of quality. Mine under leds get so frosty and dense.
Anyway these are my opinions on the subject :) happy growing.

Last edited:
firstcitizen

firstcitizen

First Citizen
Supporter
Welcome to the farm.
Sadly, i cannot agree with happy plants don’t smell theory and i wouldn’t start a grow without a good carbon filter based on that. Not unless you are legal.
Leds are the best technology out there imo. Just a little pricey. Also it is better to diy a fixture rather than buying. Both spectrum and umol/j of leds are better than hps. Maybe the high end hps fixtures and bulbs put out better spectrum and better efficiency but they cost a good amount of money too. Plus you will need to buy bulbs constantly. Led is very good for hobby growers like me. Also there is a comparison grow between hps, mh and cob leds and cobs kicks ass with less wattage, without any loss of quality. Mine under leds get so frosty and dense.
Everyone wants the best, but we can not always afford what we want. When I started with the cardboard box and cheap cfl, I dreamed for the best equipment, but I could not have it for a number of reasons.

Grow happy plants, happy plants do not smell if you are not touch and stress them. If you build good soil mixture you can water only with water or to use fewer organic fertilizers during flowering. Depends what you want. You can make the soil of several different layers, the upper layer is with poorer soil, and the further you get the richer the soil. With living organics you will achieve easier happy plants. Plants adore fertilizers made from plant sources.

You can grow some roomy flowers to mask the smell.
The smell of growing is not a problem, the problem is the smell of drying.

nshy79

nshy79

Welcome, lots of info in the beginning section on lights and things necessary for a new grower. Good luck
Almost missed your crystals in along with your plants, good mojo to you.
Ah, good eyes you got!
Amethyst. Beautiful chrystals and good mojo too! :)

I read so much and everyone got different opinions but guess you learn with time.
I will go with a homemade grow box or tent in closet. The rest I gotta think about a little. Thank u!

nshy79

nshy79

You can find cheap 85 w cfl with cold white color (6400 k). Lamps under 85 w no great sense to buy. Unless you buy them because you need few days to prepare the box and the equipment. Because otherwise plats are slow growing. Plants grow again, but slower. Time is the most valuable resource. I had experience with a lot of cfl (5 w, 9 w, 15 w, 25 w, 28 w, 36 w, 45 w, 85 w, etc.) CFL are effective from near. At one point your box will looks like an octopus of very small energy-saving bulbs, then you are forced to put on a panel to be more comfortable to adjust and you will need a lot of wires. After that i start to add to the cfl small 70 w hps and so on... and a lot of pc fan. Тhen I took off them all and got 1 choke, 1 lamp and one powerful blower and got a lot of relief. But MH/HPS generate more heat. I warmed my dwelling with the heat from MH .
For good buds need strong and intense light. Cfl radiate heat too. Very useful inventory is a thermometer and a moisture meter. Humidity, temperature, CO2 and photosynthesis are related. If you do not have a room thermometer, you can check the temperature by hand. Put your hand at the level of the plant and if it is warm on your arm is very likely to be warm on the plant too. If you have heat stres the edges of the serrated leaves will begin to curl up . ( heat stress ) You can fix easy when add cold air in the box with fan. (for this you will need ventilation) You will need ventilation even some old pc vent or bathroom fan.
The better you grow the plant, the less smell it. The plant smells when it's stressed, when it's to warm, when it's hurt from light or heat burn, when you touch it, when it's hungry or whe it have nutrition burn, etc., but when the plant is happy it does not smell. The plant determines whether it is happy or not. It depends how well you grow you do not need ventilation if you grow 3-4 plants. Bigger plants smell more, because bigger leaf mass. Hurt/Unhappy flower plants smell very strong. Otherwise you will need a carbon filter.
Drying is a big problem, because it smells scary then. Think of drying from now.

I use combinations of different types of plants because I have seen positive and negative combinations of plants. Some plants, in combination with others, grow much more splendid because one plant produces organic gases that stimulate the growth of the other plant, but at the same time protect it from pests, diseases and pathogens. An example of such a combination is tomato and basil. At the same time, it is unique for salads.

I grow as many different kinds of plants as possible. (flowers, herbs, fruits, vegetables, and trees...)
Am i Vegan? I perceive myself as a free fruitarian. I prefere to eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, spices, roots and soo on. This is the best for my body (vegan food improve my health ) and mind becaus it makes me happy, it make myself feel good moral. I eat meat very rarely, I have eaten meat for the last year 3 times in exceptional cases. I do not intend to eat more meat. I just do not want and I do not need it. I can get the needed substances much easier and more enjoyable from plants and other source of energy. I watch on Animals as friends that i love and from which i can learn. I do not want to eat the animals also from an ethical point of view because I do not want to eat my friend. In fact, at one point my body was clean out of the meat, as well as many other toxins and substance. At one point I began to feel more, to taste more, to smell more. At one point it turned out that the meat smelled brutally of the carrion. To such an extent smell itself is enough not to eat it. Things are complex. When I changed my way of eating, something changed inside me because my way of thinking and perception of the surrounding world of my life changed. At one point I began to see how everything is connected and how we are in some way like relatives. But I believe everyone is free to believe in what they wants and to eat whatever they want.
=)
Thank you again!
I just planted royal cheese auto today so gotta look for lamps next week.
And fan.
Thinking of nutrition too. Moist and ph seems a little too advanved for me yet but maybe something to look into if a suceed and want to continue growing meds.

I put the royal cookie auto seed in water but nothing happens so gonna wait a little more. Read about both strains I see now royal cookie is a little more demanding.
I will plant peppermint to cover if smells.
Right now just eager to see how cheese will do. Seems like a easy strain and reviews says good yields but i doubt i can make good yield with my low budget eq as a first timer. Happy if i suceed do.
Gonna try find some good medical strains and order more seeds to store for next time. Yes i guess im already loving it! haha

nshy79

nshy79

Welcome to the farm.
high, what leds do you recommend? do i measure in w there or in k or lumiere?
I found a couple of leds 90w ufos but not sure for how many square meter they are enough. Also found full spextrum led but not sure if they would be enough for 2 plants. Let me see: closet grow, 2 Plants, One led is effect 60w ,80 leds, 0,75w. So one per each plant? too little? more during flower?

Thank you for taking time to reply, you all so helpful!

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
high, what leds do you recommend? do i measure in w there or in k or lumiere?
I found a couple of leds 90w ufos but not sure for how many square meter they are enough. Also found full spextrum led but not sure if they would be enough for 2 plants. Let me see: closet grow, 2 Plants, One led is effect 60w ,80 leds, 0,75w. So one per each plant? too little? more during flower?

Thank you for taking time to reply, you all so helpful!
Ok lets start with this, are you in the usa or europe? Are you able to put together a light fixture from scratch? If you are looking to buy online you can post here or “pm” me the links for the lights and i can take a look at it.

As a general rule, 4000K only veg, 3500K can do both veg and flower, 3000K can do both veg and flower but the plant will be taller, >3000K only good for flowering, if that.

If you are going to do it yourself, you have to get 3000K-3500K 90cri+ special spectrum cob chips for the best spectrum.

Purple lights will be cheaper but they breakdown easier, they grow nice plants, not the biggest but satisfying plants.

Seeing you are just starting, going with a “fairly good light for its price” will be best.

I read people giving 50w square feet and it is just overkill for you and me at this point (without co2). I have to take a look at the lights you are planing to use to give you a watt per square meter number but, 500w for a square meter is like the maximum (which is 50w square feet) you will want to go without co2.

You can go with 50watts a plant and double it in flower. Lets say 4 plants in square meter. 4x50=200w veg and 400 in flower and this is a very good wattage and will grow very good plants.

You can also go with 25 watts a plant for veg 50 for flowering. 4 plants 4x25=100w veg 200w flower, this the minimum i would suggest and you will not get big plants with this wattage.

Again this depends on the light you choose so send those links this way :)

firstcitizen

firstcitizen

First Citizen
Supporter
=)
Thank you again!
I just planted royal cheese auto today so gotta look for lamps next week.
And fan.
Thinking of nutrition too. Moist and ph seems a little too advanved for me yet but maybe something to look into if a suceed and want to continue growing meds.

I put the royal cookie auto seed in water but nothing happens so gonna wait a little more. Read about both strains I see now royal cookie is a little more demanding.
I will plant peppermint to cover if smells.
Right now just eager to see how cheese will do. Seems like a easy strain and reviews says good yields but i doubt i can make good yield with my low budget eq as a first timer. Happy if i suceed do.
Gonna try find some good medical strains and order more seeds to store for next time. Yes i guess im already loving it! haha

Do not worry, the cookie will show up, she may need longer time. Put it in the wet napkin.
When seeds are old sometimes they need more time to germinate, and sometimes they do not germinate. I had a case of seeds to germinate after 12 days, and others germinated for 24 hours. It depends on the genes from parrent plant, the maturity of the seeds, and how long the seeds were on the shelf and how they were stored.
Once upon a time Royal made good staff and I've had 100% germination with them. Very decent quantity and quality as for feminine seeds. Royals have always been correct with me. But I stopped using them a long time ago, because I prefer genes instead of plastic gifts. I first saw that they were making changes to their parents lines because I had seeds and clones from different years. I did not like it because they sold it for the same variety, and it was not. They are seeds are expensive for this money I found much better things. (regular)
So I discovered the beauty of doing my own seeds. But for start Royal are super.

Do not worry, you will achieve a good result, yield, taste and quality.

At first you do not need to fertilize the plants. You can only water them with the remaining water. Put the water in a tube for a 48 hours, because water must be no chlorine.
If you want to fertilize the only thing you can do at the beginning is with hormones for roots (aloe, willow and others), enzymes(sprouted seeds tea), or to inoculate with symbiotic beneficial soil bacteria and fungi. (mycorrhizae) .

Think what fertilizer you will use? Organic, artificial or combined. Becaouse you can make some good home made staff. If you have aloe, you can add a few drops of its juice to the water you water the little ones.
What kind of soil do you use? If you make good soil mixture this will save you a lot of effort, trouble and fertilization. Find a local bio humus producer of worm casting (red california worm). But do not add more than 30% in the soil mix. From worm casting you can make water extract. In bottle with large throat for example 1 litter you fill it with 1/3 with worm casting and 2/3 with standing water. You leave it for at least 48 hours. Then add 50 ml from this per liter of water. You can make fertilizers from banana peel, compost, algae, nettle and a bunch of other things. But some of the things smells unpleasant but only when you wattering and for few hourse.

If you will use LED light you will need to give to plants extra Cal, Mag and Fe. Not now, but Cal and Mag will be your first deficits. You can find it in English salt/ EMPO Salt (artificial fertilizer a.k.a
Magnesium sulfate) or egg shells, or from stone flour from rocks.

If you use organic, there is not such a great need to worry about pH. For example here I am watering with water 8.5 pH , which is unthinkable but I have no problems because my soil is life. My soil is rich in life, microorganisms, fungi, protozoa, etc. and fertilize with "living organics". This soil life plays a buffer role and allows my plants to cope with the different pHs of water and many other stress-induced disturbances, but at the same time plant life develops in a more beautiful and lush way. You can buy cheap litmus paper to check pH.

Top Bottom