High THCV strains and breeding them

• Thread starter TripsRabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

When I first started my search for the 'V' I had the same conundrum: Without any solid info re: which strains might have what I want and so many strains to try, it was challenging to figure out a path forward. I had a handful of seeds from several promising strains, but with only 2 grow areas so I finally chose to concentrate on 1 strain at a time. First one was Durban Poison (Dutch Passion) and it was a bust for THCV, but I have a jar of fems seeds if anyone wants to try some. Second was Malawi, and it was disappointing; it has some chops but not THCV that I could discern. Not coincidentally, I also have a jar of Malawi x Durban fems. I'm currently focused on Wild Thailand. The V is definitely there -- it's a very buzzy high and I've noticed a slight decrease in appetite -- so I plan to include one in my next grow as well, but still looking for that exceptional strain.

You have significantly more space than I, so I don't see why you can't run 2 strains in parallel, and still have 6 plants of each for chemotype variety.

Yes, so in my case I start by germinating 12 of the same seeds with the expectation that 6 are males.

Bring 6 (hopefully) females into one of the tents.

Figure out how to deal with that particular strain in my space while testing diligently. Try to get rid of any low THCV plants and take clones off the ones that are promising just in case. Maybe end up with 2 or 3 that go all the way thru flower.

Repeat with the other tent.

1 month in Veg for each group. 2 months in flower for each. So my 1 veg tent will supply both flower tents on a constant cycle.

Repeat until I have moms of the best one(s).

Consider getting into breeding with these moms, or send them to one of you guys that do this all the time. In a perfect world, I'd prefer to have no males in my lab that are mature.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
From the growflux white paper.

Screenshot 20210118 144802

Screenshot 20210118 144813

Aaaaand
Screenshot 20210118 145103
the money.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

How to Grow Hydroponically - Part 1 ~ Tent hardware, control, setpoints.

Documenting conditions at the start of the grow.

This grow will be a like a standard how-to on Hydroponic growing, while testing certain theories about what is best for the plant's production of cannabinoids. We will look at light source, intensity, spectrum, duration, and any other thing we can think up on this "donation to science" grow. If we destroy plants in the process so be it.
The purchased seeds were Feminized standard high THC varieties. There are 2 White Widow plants with genetics from the original grower - Green House Seeds. There are 2 Big Bud plants as well as 2 Purple Kush. They do not necessarily play nice together so I need to be at the top of my game.

At the conclusion of this grow I will fully document the search for THCV in this same tent with the help from my friends at THCFarmer. I will be working with equatorial landrace strains to try to find the one that has THCV in quantity.

(You guys knew that, had to describe it in youtube)

EDIT: If there are any youtube experts out there that can help me I'd appreciate a PM. I just got this vids content restricted and my upload speed is totally being de-prioritized. It's getting painful to keep doing these videos.

Last edited:
TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

This strain by ethos claims 3%THCV

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Consider getting into breeding with these moms, or send them to one of you guys that do this all the time. In a perfect world, I'd prefer to have no males in my lab that are mature.
Dont be afraid of the males, you dont need a huge one, if you just leave a small branch and cut off all the rest you still get enough pollen to make hundreds of seeds. And any pollen floating around will not be fertile for long anyway.
See if i can find a pic from OneDrop being creative with males, just to give you an idea.

happynessistheway

happynessistheway

Trips, if I had the genetics figured out I would share with anyone who asked. I'm still working it.

If anyone is reading this and doesn't know what THCV is, it is pretty amazing stuff. There have been studies, but not enough. To my knowledge it has not been synthesized yet like THC=Merinol. For someone with diabetes there seems to be quite a bit of promise. Just an all around interesting cannabinoid that has not been fully expressed and understood yet.

I am about to harvest 2 Jack the Rippers. I'm TLC testing weekly on those, and to this point they show no more THVC than a standard variety whatever. I'm looking hard at 3 things. I am either:

testing wrong
growing wrong
or
the genetics really are not what they are sold as.

I have the ability to control every environmental aspect (light, spectrum, temp, RH, res temp, CO2, PH, etc. etc) so if someone has an idea on what set points to change to maximize THVC, I'm all ears.

As far as the testing, I am using standard TLC tech and I have done enough of this that I get consistent results. I think the biggest factor in expressing THCV is the decarb prior to TLC testing. I think THCV needs longer and hotter than THC to move it from acid to a nice spot on the plate, which will diminish the THC and CBD components, but I'm fine with that if it works. Still testing that theory out.

As far as the genetics, I have done Durban Poison and Jack the Ripper. I would be willing to pay the exorbitant price for THC Victory if I knew it was legit. Bottom line, I don't have the answer yet. But I am fully engaged in finding it and sharing with anyone when I do. I am open to ideas.

I have a bit of a lab in my basement. I think I may be a little unique there. If anyone has ideas but does not have a lab to try them in, I'll be your daisy, just gotta be a repeatable test using the scientific method is my only requirement. If it is not repeatable by another party, it is not data.

i have a hypothosis if it was grown indoor.
When plants get lots of UV Rays they produce more oil as Sunscreen response i heard that most THCV is concentrated in top Bud which gets most UV light.
Right now i have a harvestable Durban Poison with uv on its peak, its super sturdy plant.
and 2 JTR from 12h light from seed and they are giant :D
i jope for the racy munchless expirience too :D
happy growing at all <3

texasjack

texasjack

On the left is a classic seeds afghooie extract sample showing fairly high CBG, CBC and THCv, as well as plenty of THC. On the right we have a Sour Tsunami .Seems about a 2:1 (12-14% thc and around 6%cbd.

Classic Seeds Afghooie -70s Afghani x Maui Wowie (mexican x afghani)
Afghooie

Afghooie
Afghooie2

Afghooie1

1gPerWattPlease

1gPerWattPlease

Yeow! Dude. You jump in with both feet. Excellent yourself. I'm sure we'll all be interested in the outcome of a Victory grow. Are the JtR seeds from the Subcool line, or elsewhere?
I got 2 five packs from 2 different bank's. One is for sure from subcool as I was provided with a photo of the package. The other one is not confirmed, but they will be grown side by side for verification.

1gPerWattPlease

1gPerWattPlease

Dont be afraid of the males, you dont need a huge one, if you just leave a small branch and cut off all the rest you still get enough pollen to make hundreds of seeds. And any pollen floating around will not be fertile for long anyway.
See if i can find a pic from OneDrop being creative with males, just to give you an idea.
#poekie is right about not being afraid of the males in the sense that they carry more genetic potential than females alone but as far as the pollen goes , pollen Outdoors can travel as much as a mile or more if I'm not mistaken so I would be very cautious about cross pollination. one method I've read about but haven't utilized is merely spraying water around the area used for collection.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So in the video is Arjan Roskam, founder of Greenhouse Seeds. Then there is Franco who died in 2017.

THC Victory is Dutch Passion. I'm missing the link between the Congolese genetics these guys found and THC Victory.

1gPerWattPlease

1gPerWattPlease

So in the video is Arjan Roskam, founder of Greenhouse Seeds. Then there is Franco who died in 2017.

THC Victory is Dutch Passion. I'm missing the link between the Congolese genetics these guys found and THC Victory.
🤦‍♂️ nevermind I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. But I do hope it contains THCV.

Top Bottom