History of Cuts and Varieties AKA 'Strains'

• Thread starter Prestige
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Prestige

Prestige

Okay guys, so I absolutely LOVE learning about the history of all the different cuts and varieties out there. They are always informative and entertaining.

Lets this be the thread where we compile the rich history (whether it be fact or folk lore) of all the strains and cuts that we know and love.

If you see a story you don't agree with, just post your own version of the story, but please be civil. One of the great things about strain/cut history is the rich and diverse stories that emerge, both fact and folk lore, so lets try not to take anything too personally.

When the real OGs chime-in, we can seperate fact from fiction, but until then; I want to hear it all, maybe I'll write a book or something one day. Lol

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

I love where you're going!

They just released a rather pricey book on the history of cannabis.

Also this forum thread has a TON of amazing scans of high times and other 70s mags: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=135579

@Texas Kid is my personal hero and I'm his secret admirer. I take his words as gospel and he's done an amazing job compiling old articles.

Hope this helps!! If you have specific strain questions, please ask!

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

Remember; myth and legend are important parts of establishing culture too.
^^^^^^ This. High Times has spread a wealth of misinformation over the decades, which even now still influence the average patient's assumptions.

However, while facts are ideal, the colorful stories (and factual ones are generally the most exciting! Truth is stranger than fiction!) are a part of the whole fabric. Younger generations missed out on when head shops were really counterculture shops. I remember picking up 45s, shirts, black lights and posters, stash boxes, candles and tapestries along with my pipes. Remember when tower records and the where house were head shops, not just record stores? I feel old now. Later.

Prestige

Prestige

They weren't fkn around, huh? Just like 'here, here's the slanger's combo pack; a stash box, a 45, scale, little baggies....' Everything a hustler could need, lol. Wow!

That's crazy, comparing it to today, it is almost like you guys were the bootleggers of your time.

S

ssteely71

Here's a true story.
I grew up in a wonderful beach community of Neptune Bch FL. In '84-'86 we were getting some of the best buds South America had to offer and some of the worlds best hashes, being so close to shipping ports and a navy base ,and at the time the navy did not piss test.
But ....
We got a single 8-10 gram cola of some weed called Gainesville Green . The strain had been going around for a few months and had a bright green color with orange hairs and was very crystaly.What set this one cola apart was that it was professionally vacuum sealed and was stamped with a numerical code in blue ink down one side. We got this bud from an rich bohemian with great connections. He said this bud was grown at the University in Gainsville in the research dept.
Was he full of shit ? Or am I ?? Lol

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

They weren't fkn around, huh? Just like 'here, here's the slanger's combo pack; a stash box, a 45, scale, little baggies....' Everything a hustler could need, lol. Wow!

That's crazy, comparing it to today, it is almost like you guys were the bootleggers of your time.
Sorry mate, I thought you were hip to vinyl and being sarcastic, but while that would have been gnarly and more than a few head shops were shut down for selling more than incense, I was referring to 7" 45 RPM vinyl record singles :)

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

Here's a true story.
I grew up in a wonderful beach community of Neptune Bch FL. In '84-'86 we were getting some of the best buds South America had to offer and some of the worlds best hashes, being so close to shipping ports and a navy base ,and at the time the navy did not piss test.
But ....
We got a single 8-10 gram cola of some weed called Gainesville Green . The strain had been going around for a few months and had a bright green color with orange hairs and was very crystaly.What set this one cola apart was that it was professionally vacuum sealed and was stamped with a numerical code in blue ink down one side. We got this bud from an rich bohemian with great connections. He said this bud was grown at the University in Gainsville in the research dept.
Was he full of shit ? Or am I ?? Lol
Florida actually has a rich cannabis history (I'm growing Florida lemonade right now!). From what I understand you could get whatever grade you were looking for. That being said, could it have been a cartel mark? Growers mark as they were more famous than strain names?

A quick search on UFG's website would probably give you a list of all the research going on at the time. They're legally required to disclose all projects a they're funded by public money, so it should be pretty easy to verify.

Either way, you got some enviable primo smoke!!!!!!

Prestige

Prestige

Sorry mate, I thought you were hip to vinyl and being sarcastic, but while that would have been gnarly and more than a few head shops were shut down for selling more than incense, I was referring to 7" 45 RPM vinyl record singles :)
I see. Sarcasm doesn't come thru very well via script (written word) lol.

S

ssteely71

A quick search on UFG's website would probably give you a list of all the research going on at the time. They're legally required to disclose all projects a they're funded by public money, so it should be pretty easy to verify.

Either way, you got some enviable primo smoke!!!!!!

Good idea! Looks like the story was BS. BUT the gainsville green was the fire back in the day. It was definatly a sativa. My buddy probably got scammed for a higher price with the packaging. Haha

Prestige

Prestige

I'm always hearing all these different stories about OG cuts and Chemdog D and how Cheese is actually a skunk pheno, but now there is a thread up, no one wants to share their story.

Just post the story that YOU HEARD, no one is going to jump down your throat for inaccuracies or anything, they might just post their own version, that's all.

Don't be skAard

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
"Water Pipe!!!! WATER PIPE!!!!!" The Feds will break down the head shops front door if you so much as whispered the word "Bong" back in the day :) I got thrown out of my share after smoking too much Oaxacan brick :)
I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store but you can walk out and walk right back in and call it a "water pipe" and I can sell it to you...lol the good ole days..proto pipes were the vapor pen of my day, lol

Prestige

Prestige

G-13? Engineered as a US Government medical project at the University of Mississippi? Would that happen to be the same Mississippi University that was featured on CNN, boasting 37% GC results?

Latest posts

Top Bottom