hlg 260

• Thread starter Hdinkleman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hdinkleman

looking for info on this light
what is the distance people are using i think i got light burn so wanted to know anyone elses reconmedatikns
also added a 21 wart led strip maybe that caused the burn as added extra light?

B

budgrower01

looking for info on this light
what is the distance people are using i think i got light burn so wanted to know anyone elses reconmedatikns
also added a 21 wart led strip maybe that caused the burn as added extra light?
I have a few HLG products

What spectrum? v-1 or 2?
Do you run for output?
How far were you away?
Plants size , pic maybe it helps alot?

H

Hdinkleman

hlg 260 v2 300k

when i started veg i was running it at 50% and then started raising it to 100% by the end of stretch. not all at ince but maybe 25% a week.
by end of stretch the light was at 100% and at 20” plants grew great but as weeks have gone on leaves are crispy to a touch and also i have nute burn and some ph problems.
but starting to think that it was light stress all along. i am about to finish week 6 flowering and i raised the light to 24” at 75% and the plants seemed to not show sign of stress as much
still visible is upturned margins though and the damaged leaves are still on the plant

H

Hdinkleman

FC0E0A14 7535 4C93 AB82 3EAB33074A94
150EF593 A8FF 42FC 8862 BB888D11058A

the canopy was also very dense and i had some flower touching, they seemed to be water logged or maybe molded so i chopped off quite a few branches off of both plants to aerate the tent

H

Hdinkleman

the other plant though which was always a few inches below the others canopy is doing fine
i read online that light burn takes weeks to develop so im leaning more on that because the buds have gotten huge anyways, so does that make sense that it was light burn all along? if my ph was bad wouldnt the plants not have gotten this big to begin with?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Light burn will bleach the buds, however High heat will turns leaves crispy and upturned the way the pics are.
Increase intake air flow over the LEDs. Increase air flow out. If possible AC air in, temps at flower shouldn’t exceed 70dgf. Lower is better

B

budgrower01

the other plant though which was always a few inches below the others canopy is doing fine
i read online that light burn takes weeks to develop so im leaning more on that because the buds have gotten huge anyways, so does that make sense that it was light burn all along? if my ph was bad would the plants not have gotten this big to begin with?
Get cheap light meter like this

You can of course get much better ones what it can do if tell you how much light plants are getting but I bleached some too just gotta get used to LED .
Do you follow the VPD charts?
LED is supposed to have a low leaf temp becseu there is no IR heat so higher temp is better they say than HID or CMH.
Only other thing is sometimes low calcium will cause leaves to claw up but I think it is just to close and maybe to low humidity-temp but that's my opinion i would get others as I am not 100% certain on problem.

i read online that light burn takes weeks to develop so im leaning more on that because the buds have gotten huge anyways, so does that make sense that it was light burn all along? if my ph was bad wouldnt the plants not have gotten this big to begin with?

H

Hdinkleman

the led bar i have adds uva and ir
i also run uvb 30 mins a day

H

Hdinkleman

Light burn will bleach the buds, however High heat will turns leaves crispy and upturned the way the pics are.
Increase intake air flow over the LEDs. Increase air flow out. If possible AC air in, temps at flower shouldn’t exceed 70dgf. Lower is better

i had two very hot and humid days last week. uncommon weather for the spring in my area.
i have 3 fans and the exhaust fan going but the tent was packed i believe flowers touching each other on the undersides of the canopy could have molded or waterlogged.
still dont know if its mold or how to tell, im drying the branches i took off the plant now

H

Hdinkleman

yeah i was running the hlg 260 at 100% at 20” from top cola.
also have a kindled micro flowering led bar going at same distance and also 30 mins a day of small amlint of uvb every morning.
i think the combo of the 3 was roasting the canopy, either by light stress or surface leaf temp being high. which one i dont know.
i also thought it takes light stress for an extended period in order to get bleach buds

will my plant continue ripening if its burned like this? what should i do?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
To me, the leaves look to be burned from heat, not light bleaching. The unusual thing, however, is that the buds don't look burnt. It might just be from the leaves touching under the canopy, which is kind of where the damage seems to have occurred. The other plant, which has leaves at the same level as the burned leaves, doesn't seem to be affected. Some deficiencies can look like that, but your buds look great. Some strains seem to die off/lose their leaves at the end of flowering...maybe this is what you are seeing. Its pretty unusual.

H

Hdinkleman

To me, the leaves look to be burned from heat, not light bleaching. The unusual thing, however, is that the buds don't look burnt. It might just be from the leaves touching under the canopy, which is kind of where the damage seems to have occurred. The other plant, which has leaves at the same level as the burned leaves, doesn't seem to be affected. Some deficiencies can look like that, but your buds look great. Some strains seem to die off/lose their leaves at the end of flowering...maybe this is what you are seeing. Its pretty unusual.

i dont want to post the link but i have a grow journal on another forum and couldnt get any answers there either.
the hlg 260 running at 100% and at 20” from the canopy could definitely have made leaf temps higher at the leaf surface on top buds for sure

also i was using soil nutes in my cocopeat up until about 3 weeks flower and i think that was causing my ph to be off. i am now using the correct nutes for my medium and also have the board at 24” above the canopy and it “seems” to me that the plant is less stressed.
i had upturned margins, tacoed leafs(upwards) and crispy top leaves.

question though, will my buds still ripen and mature after all the damage it has incurred on the grow? i dont want to harvest early but i also dont want to continue with the plant if it isnt going to ripen up anymore.

strange the smaller plant is taking on a golden hue from all the amber trichomes on the buds LEAVES but i am not seeing much for cloudy trichs, even the ambers are still clear, but i am only finishing up week 6 flowerp

H

Hdinkleman

this is her today, sorry shes in 10 gallon smart pot so too heavy to lug out for just a picture
i have hard time just spinning her around to check the other side

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I had something somewhat similar, which was on a old strain, mostly Sativa, that happened at the end of flowering, but it was closer to 10-11 weeks. It def looks burned. I had another issue that caused my leaves to get somewhat similar, which was spider mites. didn't notice it at first, since I only had larger and older leaves that were showing problems. A few weeks after I got rid of them, their damage became apparent with a lot of older/earlier leaves turning necrotic.
Another thought I had was something that you mentioned, about turning the power up recently, while thinning things out around the same time. It is possible that the older leaves got sunburnt from the lack of strong light as well as being partially shaded. When the lights were cranked up, any added UV could have burned the older growth...similar to the sunburn that plants get if you move them outside under full sun without acclimatizing them 1st. UVB can burn if you aren't careful.
So...after going thru the different possibilities, I think the final answer might be the combo of brighter lights, UVB, and leaves that weren't accustomed to the additional UV load. I base this on LEDs not hot enough to burn, Buds and new growth looks good, and based on the steps that you took. I could be very wrong, but I think you will be OK once the damaged leaves drop or are removed. The pattern on some of the bad leaves makes it look like only parts of some leaves are affected, something that you typically see from shaded leaves. If this spreads into the buds and new growth, then it is probably something else.

H

Hdinkleman

I had something somewhat similar, which was on a old strain, mostly Sativa, that happened at the end of flowering, but it was closer to 10-11 weeks. It def looks burned. I had another issue that caused my leaves to get somewhat similar, which was spider mites. didn't notice it at first, since I only had larger and older leaves that were showing problems. A few weeks after I got rid of them, their damage became apparent with a lot of older/earlier leaves turning necrotic.
Another thought I had was something that you mentioned, about turning the power up recently, while thinning things out around the same time. It is possible that the older leaves got sunburnt from the lack of strong light as well as being partially shaded. When the lights were cranked up, any added UV could have burned the older growth...similar to the sunburn that plants get if you move them outside under full sun without acclimatizing them 1st. UVB can burn if you aren't careful.
So...after going thru the different possibilities, I think the final answer might be the combo of brighter lights, UVB, and leaves that weren't accustomed to the additional UV load. I base this on LEDs not hot enough to burn, Buds and new growth looks good, and based on the steps that you took. I could be very wrong, but I think you will be OK once the damaged leaves drop or are removed. The pattern on some of the bad leaves makes it look like only parts of some leaves are affected, something that you typically see from shaded leaves. If this spreads into the buds and new growth, then it is probably something else.

yes and the plant is mainlined so its hard to tell which growth is the top and what is the bottom.
i really pushed this plant trying to grow as close to a pound from these two plants as i could.
i had the plant sitting and soaking up its own runoff until about week 3 flower so that didnt help.
i am glad i am getting through all these problems in my first couple grows though so i know more of the signs to look out for to prevent mishaps in the future.
i have an autoflower early miss plant that is in approx week 2 flower that looks alot better than anythjng else i have grown up to this point, so im starting to put the puzzle pieces together.

all in all i BELIEVE and im not sure mind you, but some ph issues+ light stress+ heat stress+ fungus gnats+topdressing soil nutes into the hydroponic medium, probably all have contributed to the problems. now though i know what my mistakes were and have more knowledge i think than if things had gone smooth without any issues.

its good for my first few grows to have problems to know what to do rather than 5 grows in when i encounter problems not knowing at all what to do with no experience.
its all a learning process and i tend to pick up on things rather quickly so hoping i can translate this to better results in the future

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Looks like nutrient burn to me. The mid and lower leaves visible are dark green and shiny and most of the tips all over are burned. The lifted and burning edges are pk lockout i think.

Too much heat causing too much transpiration is possible. But a plant can burn like that just from too much fertilizer.

H

Hdinkleman

Looks like nutrient burn to me. The mid and lower leaves visible are dark green and shiny and most of the tips all over are burned. The lifted and burning edges are pk lockout i think.

Too much heat causing too much transpiration is possible. But a plant can burn like that just from too much fertilizer.

yes i topdressed with some soil amendments.
but it was strange to me because if anything i was feeding half strength nutes if not less the entire grow.
youre right though if there was ph too high (which i assumed because my runoff was at 7.0 ph) wouldnt there be a buildup of nutes from during veg?
i am only feeding the plant plain water now to start the flushing process to finish the plant off

but i will say, some of the buds i picked off that i thought were molded were dry enough to smoke today from just hanging them in my bathroom so i was able to get a couple hits of larfy bud
and im stoned while writing this post for sure

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

yes i topdressed with some soil amendments.
but it was strange to me because if anything i was feeding half strength nutes if not less the entire grow.
youre right though if there was ph too high (which i assumed because my runoff was at 7.0 ph) wouldnt there be a buildup of nutes from during veg?
i am only feeding the plant plain water now to start the flushing process to finish the plant off

but i will say, some of the buds i picked off that i thought were molded were dry enough to smoke today from just hanging them in my bathroom so i was able to get a couple hits of larfy bud
and im stoned while writing this post for sure

I agree water only from this point.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
i dont want to post the link but i have a grow journal on another forum and couldnt get any answers there either.
the hlg 260 running at 100% and at 20” from the canopy could definitely have made leaf temps higher at the leaf surface on top buds for sure

also i was using soil nutes in my cocopeat up until about 3 weeks flower and i think that was causing my ph to be off. i am now using the correct nutes for my medium and also have the board at 24” above the canopy and it “seems” to me that the plant is less stressed.
i had upturned margins, tacoed leafs(upwards) and crispy top leaves.

question though, will my buds still ripen and mature after all the damage it has incurred on the grow? i dont want to harvest early but i also dont want to continue with the plant if it isnt going to ripen up anymore.

strange the smaller plant is taking on a golden hue from all the amber trichomes on the buds LEAVES but i am not seeing much for cloudy trichs, even the ambers are still clear, but i am only finishing up week 6 flowerp
Yea the buds will finish bro. It’s a bit stressed but overall, I think they will be ok

Phylex

Phylex

I just switched from HPS to LED and the best thing I purchased after the lights was a PAR meter. It's taken a lot of the guess work out and has helped immensely.

Top Bottom