Hole Prep

• Thread starter Akatz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Akatz

Akatz

My plan was to build above ground boxes but that turned into something I am going to be to lazy to do this year.
I have three good wife and deep holes dug already waiting to be prepped.
I have a huge amount on old poop in my van waiting also. The ground surrounding the hole is dense clay. I was considering putting a layer of rock in the bottom for drainage but I have NO idea as I haven’t ever grown anything outside in my life. 😬

R

redshift75

if its really dense clay then id say dig the holes larger and then add a buffering around the soil you plan to use. Best thing to do with clay is mix in organic material. saw dust, compost, peat moss all come to mind. then top that off with a good dose of gypsum to help break down clay and improve drainage. but that could be more labor than building your boxes :)

of course the tried and true is just dig a bigger hole :)

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

I hate to burst your bubble doll.. but you need to be careful. I grew in ground 1 yr with this clay b.s. and I almost lost my plants.

Due to the horrific amount of rain we can get, the clay acts as a bowl and not only holds all the water there.... it will turn the soil you add into soup. This is why I only grow in raised boxes for our area now.
Be careful and keep an eye on it.

Akatz

Akatz

Put them in today. Got overly excited. Probably will be covering them until it’s nice next week. The pool is bottomed out and used basically for framework for the fence. We will see. I’m terrible at keeping things alive so fingers crossed.

5D71619D 6196 44CE B6D5 5F8FD9FE9285
Top Bottom