Home energy comparison reports

• Thread starter Gray Beard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gray Beard

Gray Beard

Was just watching a biz channel on the tube when the CEO of OPOWER came on to describe the companies service. CATCH THIS!!! It is a subscription service for a homeowner to receive regular reports on how their energy consumption compares with their NEIGHBORS. I read through the website and was still not clear if the comparison is neighbor to neighbor or just a comparison to the average usage of the neighbors. I don't like the way this sounds! Anybody know anything about this.http://www.opower.com/Products/HomeEnergyReport.aspx

lollipopman

lollipopman

with everything i have my bill is less than the neighbors.. plus my buddy live in a 2 bedroom apartment with wall heaters and his elect. is the same as mine....

Gray Beard

Gray Beard

I think I am the same currently but was planning on a pretty serious upgrade real soon. Maybe I'm a little paranoid but it sounds like a way for curious neighbors to take the neighborhood watch thing to whole new level..

M

mrdizzle

i have a feeling they will show you an average i feel like there are privacy issuses with showing how much your neighbor uses, how many lights you running? I think up to three lights is a typical difference that could be from a host of different things, computers, TV ect.

My sister in-law's older sister posted a complaint about how high her energy bill last month on facebook and a bunch of other people were chimin in on how much there bill was, $900 bucks $600, $500, ect bunch of high one, all none grower. I mean mine is $2000plus but PGE eats that shit up

I think your fine either way

Gray Beard

Gray Beard

I do have a nosey retired LEO in the neighborhood and he would be just the type to use something like this. I was no more concerned for myself than for all the "Farmers" with curious neighbors. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. Be safe!

C

CAPO

I'm pretty sure this means, "participating peers" will be available for comparison, not any household you choose to compare it to. Their are some privacy laws in play here.
This is a private company and they are just gettin in on the new "green" market. If you are really that paranoid I highly suggest contacting your power company about your privacy rights and the aforementioned information gatherers.

I personally would be outraged if any specific information of mine would be made public.

Top Bottom