Home-grown cannabis on the rise

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Cannabis is the UK's most widely used illegal drug with millions of people smoking it regularly. 1Xtra News has recorded a documentary that lifts the lid on marijuana and looks into its possible link with mental illness.

Early next year, cannabis is due to be upgraded from a class C to a class B drug.

It means maximum prison sentences for anyone caught in possession rising from two to five years.

One of the main reasons behind the reclassification seems to be the possible link between smoking stronger varieties of cannabis like skunk and mental illness.

It's a very dangerous drug, particularly in the skunk form and that's why we're taking the action that we are

Home Office minister Vernon Coaker
Alex has battled schizophrenia for the past nine years after smoking weed every day for around five to six years.

He thinks he wouldn't have developed a mental illness if he hadn't smoked the drug.

He said: "I was round a friend's house smoking a joint when I started hearing something funny.

"I started hearing a woman's voice cursing and swearing and thought, 'That's not right.'

"Cannabis has absolutely wrecked my life. I can't go out drinking or anything like that.

"I claim benefits and live on my own. It's been a long time since I had a girlfriend. I manage the best I can.

"It's definitely made my life a living hell."

Law change

Richard Colwell from SANE, a mental health charity, says they often help people who've used cannabis on a regular basis.

He said: "We do hear stories on a regular basis, not only from people that use cannabis, but also from concerned family and from concerned friends who can see somebody that's close to them, someone they love, who is going through a downward spiral.

"It can be very, very difficult to watch. So, it's not just the possible impact on the individual but also the broader impact as well that it might have on people they are close to."

The 14-year maximum penalty for dealers will stay the same.

Eamon's a former dealer who says he made £50,000 a year selling weed.

He gave up after he was caught, did six months in prison and became an IT consultant.

He doesn't think the classification changes will make any difference.

He said: "Reclassification from a dealer's point of view is just meaningless.

"It doesn't matter whether it's class B or class C because the sentencing guidelines from the court are still the same.

"If you get caught you could get a maximum of 14 years on both, so it doesn't really matter for a dealer because it's the same penalties either way."

Marijuana at home

More than 60% of the cannabis smoked in the UK is also grown here. 10 years ago that figure was 11%.

Every day police shut down an estimated three cannabis farms in the UK.

Gangs, many from Vietnam, are using hydroponic technology to produce massive amounts of stronger varieties of cannabis in residential homes and warehouses around the UK.

But not everyone who grows marijuana is a member of a gang.

Harry, which isn't his real name, grows cannabis for his own use in a greenhouse in his back garden.

He said: "I know that what I'm doing is illegal but how can something so wrong feel so right?"

"I've just taken a seed. I've put it into some soil, added a little bit of water. I cut it down. I smoke it.

"I don't go out on the street. I don't offer it to random people but I could have the police coming round here at six o'clock in the morning.

"I'm not a criminal. I'm not a bad guy but I face prosecution for growing."

The government is also thinking about clamping down on the sale of cannabis seeds and equipment like bongs and pipes.

Vernon Coaker is from the Home Office and is responsible for drugs policy.

He said: "Cannabis is a very serious drug. It's one of the most prevalent drugs, particularly amongst young people.

"It's a very dangerous drug, particularly in the skunk form and that's why we're taking the action that we are.

"If you're getting evidence, as we are, that the potency of the cannabis has increased and the availability of those stronger strains has increased, I think you'd be silly not to reflect on that and to change the classification."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/newsbeat/hi/health/newsid_7583000/7583956.stm

B

BITYmagicBeanz

i hate the uk for shitty things like this. they will let murders and rapist into the country but not the weed. the product aint too blame. its the people who blame the product! simple as that. theres no evidence that is causes mental health.. all the people with mental health. either had alot of other stresses and problems in there life that could of been looked into and help them before they get worse!!
but no one helps. so people self medicate. and the mental ill people. have done other drugs. not just cannabis. they have either taken speed. ,cocaine ,xtc, they have mixed there drugs. so the daily smoke abuse with cannabis will trigger a depresion on these types of people. becuase they already have problems before hand. my mate got sectioned at the royal bethlam in west wickham,surrey. and its the nastyiest place ive been too. dirty unclean. the so called care assistants dont help.just laught at them and make them run around the court yard like animals. thats where the problem is... its the help. there isnt any. they need to catch and help these people with there problems before hand and dont let it drag on.. cannabis saves peoples lives. it doesnt ruin them.. poeples lives were ruined before the cannabis. all them mp's love the cocaine.coz its outter there system in 3 days. and keeps them awake from them long boring hours or bullshit meetings

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

Why dont they make alchohol class A, i see bums on road everyday drunk outta there face causing nusance and pissing every where. Why doesnt the Government focus on hard drugs like heroin.crack/coke but it seems like you cant buy a bag of weed these days but you can buy class A drugs easily. The Uk isnt bad as sum parts of the States with cannabis laws.

P

ProGroWannabe

It's just another excuse to persecute growers. Growers are easier targets since our crops are way larger than some vial of cocaine, so in some respects plants are easier to find. The WHOLE THING revolves around the money they make because of a bust. That's the only reason they bust us.....money.

B

bannana man

i no someone that went to the doctor cos he was getting depressed ,he told the doc he smoked cannabis ,so the doc told him he had cannabis pycosis ,,but he didnt tell him abt all the acid and e he had batterd over the years lol its people like this that fuck it up

S

Stackin Paper

It's just another excuse to persecute growers. Growers are easier targets since our crops are way larger than some vial of cocaine, so in some respects plants are easier to find. The WHOLE THING revolves around the money they make because of a bust. That's the only reason they bust us.....money.

How do the police make money from a bust, they can't sell the weed afterwards and then to costs the taxpayer to take that person to court and try them, if they go not guilty then it drags on and costs the taxpayer even more money, and for what? To get 1 less lil home grower off the streets. Shit is a joke, just hope they stick to hunting out the gangs and leave lil old me the fuck alone.

P

ProGroWannabe

How do the police make money from a bust, they can't sell the weed afterwards and then to costs the taxpayer to take that person to court and try them, if they go not guilty then it drags on and costs the taxpayer even more money, and for what? To get 1 less lil home grower off the streets. Shit is a joke, just hope they stick to hunting out the gangs and leave lil old me the fuck alone.

They make money (here, anyway) by confiscating and selling anything and everything that they say aided you in being able to grow....your car, your house (sometimes) and all your cash, etc, etc...

I'm not sure how they do it in the UK, but MONEY is the ONLY driving factor here in the States....so sad, but very true.

7rayos

The problem with this upgrading is that soon the rest of countries will follow taking other measures against cannabis. I don't know how the police cash on busts in UK, but in Spain is in principle decriminalised. End of the good news. Possesion or street consumption will carry a minimum fine of 300€, and that applies, say, to the leftovers of a plastic cigs pack or like the euphemistically put it, "0'01grs of a substance believed to be a cannabis derivate". The 600€ is more common, anyway, and if there are a couple of plants at home, keep on adding. That given if they don't try prosecute you for trafficking with your three plants, which often they do too, often resulting in a absolving sentence which leaves "opened the administrative code", another euphemism for they will fine you one or two grand, anyway.
I'd give an example how the police works here. The Dragon Festival in Alpujarra attracted 30.000 visitors this year. Despite being in its eleventh edition, still is "illegal", so the police make a control belt around the area stopping and lightly searching (no dogs or anything like that) most vehicles coming in.
People complain what a waste of taxpayers money to set up a four days police operation, if for example there were ZERO detainees and didn't stop vast amounts of drugs becoming available through the many counters, the party was done, not a single uniformed copper in sight, and bye bye see you next year.
What is not published or talked about is the 1700 fines with an average of 600€, rounding up the beautiful figure of 1.000.000€ for having 6 landrovers parked 4 days. I guess the policemen were working at no extra cost, anyway. The Dragon Festival is a party for everyone, civil guards await it rubbing hands too. There are hundreds of festivals all year long. So, that's decriminalisation for you.
They're also talking about schizophrenia as a reason to, behold: not legalizing it. Thanks god they ain't talking about jail sentences for self supplying or consumption, but surprise surprise, as a way to tackle schizophrenia in youngsters who been smoking for ten years (?) rising fines will be the real solution. We're ruled by privileged minds and some superheroes.
Another thing is the people's disposition to be tamed. We enjoy the same widely announced smoke ban in bars as in UK, with the small ado that bar owners can declare (with an official stamp to be showed at the entrance) whether smoking is allowed or not. The few bars (+-10%) that accepted the ban took less than two months to revoke it.
So, in Spain, fines galore for everybody, but plenty grass. No major clampdown as yet, but seeing these happening in UK, i'm positive they'll come up with something. Again, see how they enforce it.

H

hazyfontazy

that bitch looks like shes enjoyin fondling those plants

D

Dogstar

Cannabis now takes the blame for damage more likely caused by ecstasy, acid, speed, cheap cider and solvent abuse.

These drugs don't get mentioned to the doctor by the 'sufferer', because that would expose them for the twats they are (and maybe open to prosecution), whereas if they blame it all on skunk they can become a victim, someone to feel sorry for. Maybe get a blacked-out interview on the news.

Now you will also have these people self-diagnosing from what they have read in the papers, then marching off the the doctors with a list of symptoms to get their medical discharge from the obligation to work. Roll on a large increase in people unable to work through cannabis psychosis. This will actually be encouraged by the govt, as it justifies their stance.

P

power

What a load of bullshit. Alcohol is the mother of all evil. Cannabis i think personnally is 100% all good. Nothing wrong with a lil bit of Harry. After all its only a plant. It don't make you violent or distressful. Sometimes it makes you wonder the the f**k is going on in the UK.

Top Bottom