• Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Looked on line to by one.
Ridiculously expensive.
Scraped up some parts from the bone yard and spent $40 for the rest. I will post as I create.
Home made aqua cloner

FourthCity

FourthCity

Looked on line to by one.
Ridiculously expensive.
Scraped up some parts from the bone yard and spent $40 for the rest. I will post as I create.View attachment 948373
I know you know your stuff so this is probably a dumb question but that pump will be sending air to more than than just that one reservoir right? I use a what I think is the next pump size down from yours for 6+ 5-gallon dwc reservoirs at a time, so yours would probably be overkill for that one tub. My concern is that it will be pumping out too much heat for that amount of water. Good concept though, I have a similar setup with a very small water pump and an aeroponic manifold in a 5-gallon bucket, it holds 5 clones with neoprene collars over holes cut in the lid, also about $40. I tend to see roots start after about 5 days, I'd expect similar results from yours so long as the water doesn't get too hot.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I know you know your stuff so this is probably a dumb question but that pump will be sending air to more than than just that one reservoir right? I use a what I think is the next pump size down from yours for 6+ 5-gallon dwc reservoirs at a time, so yours would probably be overkill for that one tub. My concern is that it will be pumping out too much heat for that amount of water. Good concept though, I have a similar setup with a very small water pump and an aeroponic manifold in a 5-gallon bucket, it holds 5 clones with neoprene collars over holes cut in the lid, also about $40. I tend to see roots start after about 5 days, I'd expect similar results from yours so long as the water doesn't get too hot.
Good catch, Thanks for the heads up!
How’s about this one?

THCMonster

THCMonster

Holes punched, screwed up with the first one. Hole saw was slightly to big.
I’ll use that one to observe water level and fill water when needed and air tube entrance.
The key to this tub is the top needs to be recessed in to the tub.View attachment 948406

I actually really like where you drilled the holes at, it makes it more recessed in the lid! That probably works great for the Neoprene inserts! 👍

Great Job

FourthCity

FourthCity

Good catch, Thanks for the heads up!
How’s about this one?View attachment 948437
I bet that would work just fine. If you set it up for a dry run look underneath the lid after about ten minutes, lift it up evenly so you can check for the concentration and distribution of water droplets. You can tweak the water level and position of the air stones until it looks like the droplets are gathering evenly under the lid, if it seems like there are some dry spots then you may need another small pump and air stone. I used to have a dwc cloner but trying to get the bubbles to hit the stems just right can be kinda tricky, sometimes without warning the bubbles might decide they are only going to come out of certain portions of the stones leaving some of the clones dry if you don't notice it quick enough. I ended up switching to the aeroponic cloner partially for those reasons but I suspect running several smaller air stones spread out may have worked more consistently than fewer larger air stones.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Its hard to tell but it looks like the water level is pretty much up to the lid. If it is this will drown out the stems and make roots more reluctant to form, if they do at all. Youll want the stems to be able hang at least a couple inches below the lid without touching the surface of the water, the bubbles from the stones should keep them wet enough to stay alive but dry enough for more rapid root formation.

Munch517

Munch517

I just bought the 36 site aeroponic "clone king" on Amazon for $95 and I'm impressed with its quality. I really thought about building one of these, but the aeroponic style as opposed to the dwc style, my friend has used one he built for years now with very good results. I haven't heard the argument of dwc vs aeroponic cloners but in theory I like the aeroponic design better.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Been thinking of making somthibg similar, how many gal?
12 gallon, she’s fired up now.
Its hard to tell but it looks like the water level is pretty much up to the lid. If it is this will drown out the stems and make roots more reluctant to form, if they do at all. Youll want the stems to be able hang at least a couple inches below the lid without touching the surface of the water, the bubbles from the stones should keep them wet enough to stay alive but dry enough for more rapid root formation.
Thanks for all your advice.
First time I’ve ever used a device like this.
Looking forward to good results:)

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Looks good, you should be rocking root nubs in 5-7 days and ready transplant in less than 2 weeks. Are you going to grow these (middle and right clones) in soil or keep them hydro?
Soil, with my work schedule I do not have time to hydro. One day I will start my experimentation.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Soil, with my work schedule I do not have time to hydro. One day I will start my experimentation.
You may want to use a little hydroton immediately surrounding the stem and close roots when you transplant, they don't love being switched from hydro to soil.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
You may want to use a little hydroton immediately surrounding the stem and close roots when you transplant, they don't love being switched from hydro to soil.
Those stems supposed to be submerged?

FourthCity

FourthCity

Those stems supposed to be submerged?
You will be burying the plants up to where the collars are now when you transplant.
I switch from my aeroponic cloners to straight FFOF and my cuts never skip a beat. Positive vibes...

~nugzz
I've never had to do this myself, just heard some people have issues. Do you do anything special when you transplant or do you just dump some dirt on them?

Top Bottom