Home made super soil, (check PH?)

• Thread starter MercDod
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MercDod

MercDod

I have looked at over 25 different super soil mixes and was wondering as I have not seen anyone check the ph after mixing. Would it be a good idea to check the ph of a super soil before using it? What do you experienced growers do? If you do check, how do you check (some kind of slurry check)? Am I over thinking it? Thanks for your input

Regards

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I always check pH at the beginning of an organic soil grow. It's rather difficult and yield-reducing to try and adjust soil pH when there are plants in it.

I used to do slurry tests, but I now use Blue Lab's soil pH pen, which can be used directly in moist soil.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
If you are really going from scratch you have to get started on it months ahead of time. I tried to copy a recipe, got it all together and mixed it up around the first of the year. Let it stew for a couple months mixing it up occasionallyAnd checked it again about two months before using. Smelled kind of like a septic tank. L O L. Mix it up again and let it sit for another month or so and it mellowed out. Did a Slurry on it before loading the pots expecting the worst, and almost went into shock when it came out around seven. I’ll take that any day. But I checked it with a nitrate strip and it came out pretty damn hot. So I cut it maybe 50-50 with Some happy frog. Have been clam happy with the results. Good way to reuse your old soil.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
If you really want to do it right and are talking about large quantities and a lot riding on it you need to get a soil analysis. I wish I had just for curiosity sake. But I’m a cheapskate!

Observationist

Observationist

I always check pH at the beginning of an organic soil grow. It's rather difficult and yield-reducing to try and adjust soil pH when there are plants in it.

I used to do slurry tests, but I now use Blue Lab's soil pH pen, which can be used directly in moist soil.
bet it actually works compared to those 10 p.o.s prong meters

But pricey

MercDod

MercDod

So the consensus is to check the ph of any super soil I mix if I can, right? So as I am not ready to drop 150+ on the bluelab then a slurry test? and if its off how do you adjust the ph on organic super soil? Its just for three to four plants so a soil analyzes is out.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Yep all you can do. Slurry with distilled water. PH strips or drops which are cheap. And follow the recipe to a tea and you should be in the ballpark. That small amount I would probably just say fuck it and go buy some ocean forest. But it’s fun to play with. I mixed up 175 gallons. Others on this side makes up a hell a lot more than that. Adjusting soil pH is A chasing the tail proposition. Just hope you’re close the first time.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I do command you though for considering making your own soil. Indoor growers don’t mess with it too much because they are deathly afraid of bringing in pests and other malodorous varmints into their sterile grow rooms. I don’t blame them! But if you were outdoors making your own soil is an integral part of the growing experience. You will be more proud of a successful grow in your own soil. And with some homework you can avoid supporting corporate giants while you’re at it.I was pissed when I had to use happy frog to cut my soil. Ignorance on my part. Fox farms is owned by Monsanto. Miracle Gro is owned by Monsanto. Aurora innovations, Roots Organic owned by Monsanto. You can go on and on with that. And Monsanto is owned by Bayer.So try and do your due diligence and cost bayer Some money.

S

Sod

Lowes sells a test kit for $20 that you put your soil sample in and mail it, prepaid, to a lab for testing. Pretty quick and simple. If I remember I got my results, online, in less than two weeks. Test showed everything was good but low in nitrogen, which I found strange, but that's what the test showed. I had not added anything to the soil at that point, so I guess that makes sense.
I have a second soil that I have been composting for about 7 years now. Going to send a sample off one of these days. Smells real sweet though.

SOD

Top Bottom