Homebox S vs. Darkroom DR80?

• Thread starter ConceptOfSleep
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

Hey guys.

I recently had to move and am now having a hard time finding a place for my old trusty homebuild cab to fit in my new digs... So ive been searching around the net for all the info on Grow Tents that I could find. They seem great: simple, lightweight, easy to build/take down, and pretty cost effective.

Anyway, based on my size requirements Im thinking of getting either the Secret Jardin Darkroom DR80 or the Homebox S. They are both roughly 3'L x 3'W x 6'H and have all the room I need for my 400W Cooltube and 9 - 2 gallon square contianers.

My questions are about which seems like the better deal?

The Darkroom is about $190 w free shipping
Homebox S is about $140 plus shipping.

Ive also been reading about all the off-gassing nonsense I never had to pay attention to until now, and wanted to hear if anyone had any problems with either of them. I really havent heard any complaints about the Darkroom "off-gassing", what about the Homebox?

Also anyone who has used one, what was your ventillation system like? Seems hard to have a nagative pressure thing goin on and still have it light-proof. And is it just me or does the Darkroom have a whole lot more vent options?

Anyway any input from you guys would be great. As of now Im leaning towards the Darkroom. Hopefully I can make my purchase in the next few days and have that thing set up ASAP.

:smiley_joint:

S

s4m

hello ConceptOfSleep,
I use a DR 120 well pleased.:smiley_joint:

good quality!.

s4m

ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

Hey s4m, thanks for the reply so quick!

Im curious as to how you vent your tent... Do you use air cooled lights?

S

shadrack

concept what size is your space? - the dr's have totaly lightproof passive intake vents and baffle for fan intake if required.

ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

Hey Shadrack! Thanks very much for the info, that is one of the things I was the most confuse about. I really like a passive intake setup, but didnt know that the DR's had lightproofing built in. Im really astonished at how well thought out these tents were made.

Anyway the space I have to fit the Tent in is about 3 1/2 ft x 3 1/2 ft x 6ft high, so the DR80 or the Homebox S look to be the options for that size and so for the DR is looking good even though its a few bucks more. Most stores that have it listed at $180 are sold out, and any store that has it in stock has the price bumped up a bit. Oh well I just wanna get the grow on the road...

S

shadrack

i havent set mine up yet but im informed the passive intake is totally lightproof. Shame you havent got about 20 cm more - i have just got this one
Secret Jardin DarkRoom Wide 120 x 60 x 160

its 120 cm wide 60 cm deep and 160 high - sure you cant get extra 20cm on the width - may be no good for you anyway but i thought id let you know

i know a uk site that has them www.progrow.co.uk - delivered to me within 2 days ordering

K

kid606

no problems with the homebox s here..offers all you need..lightproof intake aswell..did the trick now for few runs..why pay more?

S

s4m

hello peep's,
just use mine for clone veg 400w lightwave t5.

But still have a 5" filter and ex fan hanging inside it on a speed controler.

s4m.

F

FastForward

SeenTheLight has a 400W aircooled (Sputnik, not Coolshade) in a drobe about a third of the size of the DR80 and has no heat probs. He uses a Primair fan speed controller, active in active out I think.

I'd go with the DR every time - they're well made, I love the silver interior, and tend to be higher than other tents of similar footprint.

ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

Thanks for the input everyone, it really is appreciated! :smiley_joint:
s4m: Thanks again man I appreciate it
Shad: thanks for the link and the idea of the wide tent...Im gonna look into it for sure.
FF: Good to know someone can keep a space like that cool, Im just hoping I can do it with a passive intake.

Well Ive been looking around more and more and found a place selling the DR for about 30 bucks cheaper than Ive been seeing, and Ive been reading people seem to think they are built a bit better than the Homeboxes.

So here is a question to everyone... Think my 4" Inline Fan will keep it nice and cool? Im gonna do a passive intake. Have the 4" fan pulling air through the Filter and then push air through the cool tube and out of the tent... From the calculations I know to do it seems like it should do the job just seeing what other peoples thoughts/experiences were.

Thanks
:smiley_joint:

T

Tolpan

I'm running an older model of the Homebox XL and a Darkroom 80! Both do the job, but I like the darkroom much more! Better quality in every way!

Damn if you would live in my area I could get one for about 90€ for ya!

Cheers Bro!

Tolpan

K

krom

hi farmers, i' using a DR100 and i'm pretty happy of it but you have to be careful of chinese copy. The first i had was a fake and the closing zip broke so i could'nt close it any more. The growshop changed it for the real deal and it's good quality but i see the light of my 600w hps passing through tiny holes on the tent, but no problem of light leak from outside to inside.
If you have enough space check the model of dr100 with only 180cm high(100x100x180).

K

kid606

was running the same combo..400w / cool tube / passive intake / 225cm/h fan on outlet / carbon filter..

the temps were fine all the way...

K

Kilo

im using 2 dr100 and very happy havent a complaint yet :) ive also got homebox but prefer the build quality or the DR's

marlboro05

marlboro05

Jardin comes with a carry bag. Handy so that you keep your things tidy.
I have already set-up my ebay filters for a DR80

T

true blue

dr80 is great 250w rvk 1, 6'fan recommend vacuming it once every 2 weeks keep it nice and clean my plants love it.Going to up grade to 400w cooltube see how it goes

Latest posts

Top Bottom