Homemade LED Design PCB Doubts

• Thread starter Ganjalf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ganjalf

Ganjalf

Hi there guys I am considering creating my own LED light to substitute the one I have, I am a microgrower, it would be for a space of 0.5x0.5 m2.
I thought of 272 Samsung LM301B, 6 deep red Osram OSCONIQ P 3030 and a 200W Mean Well or Inventronics Driver, my question comes regarding the PCB. My idea was to create an aluminum structure to dissipate heat and use 4 PCB strips of 380x30 mm where to put two rows of LEDs, but I don't know whether there are better options or if I have to use a Metalcore PCB, a regular PCB or a starboard. Could anybody point me in the right direction?

Homesteader

Homesteader

What are you looking for exactly? Maybe I can help but Im not really sure what you are looking for.

Ganjalf

Ganjalf

I want to build a LED light for both grow and floration, for the design I'm mainly checking the Gavita pro 1700e, but I adapted the size since I need aproximately 1/3 of the area that it covers. As I previously said I have somewhat of an idea of the components to use and the schematics, but I have my doubts regarding the PCB material I should use, I don't know if a Metalcore PCB would adequately dissipate heat and that's my main concern.
Do I have to design and order a strip like PCB like the following?
Are there prebuilt PCBs of this sort where I can weld my diodes and can handle 200W?

LED

Homesteader

Homesteader

For mid power strips, you would be better off just buying pre-soldered ones. AduraLED, cutter.com.au, maybe cobkits.com. Plenty of places but most of the PCBs come from China or South Korea.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Digikey has lm301b strips for pretty cheap.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Don't solder your own LEDs. Get them pre done. The other option is I've seen people use a heating plate and soldering paste but it's still just more work than is necessary. Just last week I finished a light for my micro grow where I soldered each individual LED. It ended up working but it was a ridiculous amount of work and it required a lot of trial and error. PLEASE DON'T DO IT.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Don't solder your own LEDs. Get them pre done. The other option is I've seen people use a heating plate and soldering paste but it's still just more work than is necessary. Just last week I finished a light for my micro grow where I soldered each individual LED. It ended up working but it was a ridiculous amount of work and it required a lot of trial and error. PLEASE DON'T DO IT.
I did a reflow soldering thread about 5 years ago here. Not the prettiest things I ever created but it was fun to learn about and dismantle a POS blackdog that I spent an arm and a leg on. I don't think reflow soldering strips on a griddle is going to work with mid powers too well though.
I agree with @gorrillagluearron . Too easy to buy pre made strips.

Homesteader

Homesteader

If you did want to customize your board. Adura will do it for a price. Either your diodes or theirs but I think they may only use MCPCBs for high powered Cree and Osram but I may be wrong. Give them a call and see what they offer. They are out of California.

Last edited:
Ganjalf

Ganjalf

Ok guys, thank you for your advice, I am considering those prebuilt strips you mentioned, I have two options for the white LED strips (and I'll add the red ones in a starboard):

Option 1)

Strip with Samsung LM301B diodes, 22W (25 W max.) per strip I'd use 10 strips, that'd require a 300W driver (after the red diodes)

Option 2)

Strip with Samsung LM561C diodes, 46W (48.4 W max.) per strip I'd use 4 strips, that'd require a 250W driver (after the red diodes)

Other options include LM561B diodes but I have the impression that the performance of the diodes goes as following: LM301B > LM561C > LM561B

Any ideas or opinions?

Is it crazy to use the LM561 series? After reading the specs I can see they're a bit less efficient, but is it a dealbreaker?

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I think I would either use the lm301b or lm301h. They are both about the same performance but have different spectrums.

Ganjalf

Ganjalf

I checked the spectrum in 3500K and 80CRI and all are pretty similar.
LM301H:
LM301H

LM301B:
3500K LM301B

LM561C:
LM561C

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I think it might even be cheaper to buy them pre made anyway.

Having done the same thing in designing several LED lights, I'd have to say that if I were to do it all over again, I would buy the pre-made strips. Time and effort involved in this type of project certainly makes purchasing the "already made ones" very cheap in comparison.

Top Bottom