Homemade Organics

• Thread starter ShivaSkunkPunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bmvortex81

bmvortex81

what would ur thoughts b about trying asprin in dwc? i got 5 G res i would say normally cut in half but what bout trying 3 asprins? and i dont yucca can ya really use liquid soap? dish soap work? thx

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Soap in the reservoir..? I'm not sure I would do that, but for foliaring it's fine, I do it all the time. A little goes a long way, the only reason TO use it is to break the surface tension of the water. I also use aspirin, I've gone as high as one 325mg tablet/gal of water, but wouldn't go higher, IIRC it can cause hermaphroditism. I think that three tablets of aspirin in a 5gal reservoir would be ok.

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

no im sorry i messsed the wording up on that and wasnt just plain thinking lol i meant the 3 tablets in the res tank no soap i meant the soap as far as a spray bottle application what mg would u suggest i try thx

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

what would ur thoughts b about trying asprin in dwc? i got 5 G res i would say normally cut in half but what bout trying 3 asprins? and i dont yucca can ya really use liquid soap? dish soap work? thx

The best soap for a wetting agent I've used is dr. Bronners peppermint. It's all nature and can aid in detouring bugs.

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

Alfalfa meal bubbled in your teas will give you cheap effective surfactant/wetting agent properties.

How would you use that as a wetting agent in a spray bottle to foliar with? Wouldnt your whole tea mix get mixed in with the product you wanna spray along with the alfalfa liquid? Is there a way to separate it so you would just be using it as a wetting agent and your product of choice to foliar? I know if you foliar tea and alfalfa is in it then it would work as a wetting agent. What's a wetting agent that is universal, organic, and homemade?

organicozarks

organicozarks

Firstly we need to use the correct terminology.

If you are foliar feeding you are using a surfactant.

If you are soil drenching then you are using a wetting agent.

You can brew up some alfalfa meal in a bit of water, and then strain out the particles for a usable liquid.

The better thing to do is to brew your own teas with alfalfa, and then you won't have to worry about it.

You don't have to buy shit in a bottle to grow plants. :)

organicozarks

organicozarks

I wasn't being a dick.

Don't take things personally.

If we are going to talk about something then we need to all be using the correct terminology, or it won't make any sense.

Patanjali

Patanjali

Wetting agent = saponins imo

more wetting agent info HERE

Use Aloe Vera or yucca. I don't know about Alfalfa being a wetting agent. Not saying it isn't so, just never heard that one. It would be my understanding just because you are foliar feeding does not imply you are using a surfactant. More info HERE

No silica is organic. There is no carbon in it. It is certified for organic use. Definition of organic compound.

Peace,
P-

organicozarks

organicozarks

I guess I should have said for use in organic production. Pro-tekt is not. Alfalfa has high saponins, and is cheap. Learned it from good ol' Coot. That dude knows more than god himself. :)

The correct horticultural terms are surfactant for foliar, and wetting agent for soil drench.

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

Wetting agent = saponins imo

more wetting agent info HERE

Use Aloe Vera or yucca. I don't know about Alfalfa being a wetting agent. Not saying it isn't so, just never heard that one. It would be my understanding just because you are foliar feeding does not imply you are using a surfactant. More info HERE

No silica is organic. There is no carbon in it. It is certified for organic use. Definition of organic compound.

Peace,
P-

Thanks for the links, that chem wiki is going on the home page that's for damn sure.

Patanjali

Patanjali

I guess I should have said for use in organic production. Pro-tekt is not. Alfalfa has high saponins, and is cheap. Learned it from good ol' Coot. That dude knows more than god himself. :)

The correct horticultural terms are surfactant for foliar, and wetting agent for soil drench.
From Coot:

Neo 420

If your garden is running like you want I wouldn't change anything - no need to court disaster as the expression goes.

On your last 2 bottled products - perhaps you can take those off of your list.

Yosemite Sam mentioned a product called AgSil 16H which is a brand name for Potassium Silicate. This is a mined mineral compound and it's molecular formula is K2O3Si and it's the Si (Silica) that is water soluble. This is the exact same compound used in the Dyna Gro Pro-TeKt product (and others like Silica Blast, Rhino Skin, etc. - no mystery at all)

The link is to Custom Hydro Nutrients and they sell the base compounds for those who mix their own hydroponic nutrients. Their price for a single pound is only $12.00 and .70 grams to 1 gallon of water will give you an uber safe application mix ratio.

Potassium Silicate is 'approved for organic food production' because mined minerals cannot be 'organic' or 'non-organic' - they can be 'approved' or 'not approved' or have 'limited application approval'

HTH

CC

organicozarks

organicozarks

If I remember right you can only use it as a pesticide. Not as a supplement. Man has this turned into who knows more. Geez.

You are right I am wrong. Let's move on.

Patanjali

Patanjali

If I remember right you can only use it as a pesticide. Not as a supplement. Man has this turned into who knows more. Geez.

You are right I am wrong. Let's move on.
I know nothing. I'm only regurgitating information. I figure this is how we learn. I take very detailed notes from Coot. I do know he uses silica for both foliar and drenching applications, I'm ass-uming this means it is approved organic in both uses?

On another note, I did find this in my notes. I didn't catch the saponin content of alfalfa previously. So as Microbeman says, anyone can be wrong about something.

The plant with the highest levels of Saponins that I can find is Horse Chestnut Aesculus hippocastanum L. (Hippocastanaceae) and here's an analysis from USDA on the other compounds in this plant

As you can see the Saponin level is as high as 260,000 ppm which is 13x higher than Aloe vera and 8x higher than Alfalfa and about 6x higher than Yucca extract

Horse Chestnut powder (certified organic) is around $8.00 per lb. You sure don't need to use very much - about 1/4 tsp. per gallon will give you plenty of 'surfactant' and/or 'wetting agent'

HTH

CC

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Organic is from an organism which is or was alive now I wonder if something passes through an organism does that make it organic+??
Squiggly where you at lol

Top Bottom