homemade sulfur burner??

• Thread starter vaporedout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vaporedout

vaporedout

so i was told that i should run a sulfur burner..... is it true it helps with PM, mites and other problems one would run into growing indoors? the hydro shop has em for 120. i notice a lot of people are from SACRAMENTO so if anyone has one for sale or knows of a way to make one, id try that first, before i go back to the hydro shop..... thanks all!!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
this is one thing from experience that I would not DIY

you dont want to BURN sulfur you want to vaporize it

also it dont do shit for mites, it treats PM by changing the ph of the leaves, not a cure if you have PM

but it is good for prevention if PM is an issue where you grow

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

^^^My burner is manufactured; maybe listen to ML^^^
I just wanted to share the link. Peace

J

Jalisco Kid

Get a electric skillet with an adjustable temp setting used for a few bucks. It is not rocket science. when it slowly melts and vaporizes you have it dialed in. I set mine around 250-275* Use the 100 bucks you saved to upgrade your ventilation.JK

M

Magoo

Jalisco nailed it, mine is manufacturer purchased.

It is a tin can, with coil heating element suspended at the bottom of the can. A smaller tin/al dish in suspended in the can above the element, with the ability to raise lower for more/less heat to the sulfer.

Kitchen science. Once you see how they are constructed, they are quite easy to build.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
if your DIY burner is too hot the sulfur will catch fire and burn off

if you use an aluminum cup and all the sulfur burns off your crop will die from aluminum oxide poisoning - oh and that could kill you as well

do yourself a favor and dont cut corners that could kill you, your crop or burn your house down

Id rather spend 100 bux and have peace of mind

M

Magoo

if your DIY burner is too hot the sulfur will catch fire and burn off

if you use an aluminum cup and all the sulfur burns off your crop will die from aluminum oxide poisoning - oh and that could kill you as well

do yourself a favor and dont cut corners that could kill you, your crop or burn your house down

Id rather spend 100 bux and have peace of mind

Thank you,

Has anyone ever burnt off all the sulfur completely? It may be possible, but I've never seen it happen.

If your manufactured and purchased sulfur burner is too hot the sulfur can catch fire, so again I think the point to be taken is to KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Aluminum oxide poisoning? So to all of those driving vehicles with alum block engines, watch out!!! Don't want anyone dieing from exposure to heated aluminum.... :damnhippie:

Seriously though, consideration to the ideal temp at which we 'burn' sulfur (in our cans with heating element) the threat of an aluminum oxide being burned off is, well I'm going to say it, nearly impossible imo.

If one still has reservations, use stainless steel or some other metal.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
a good friend of mine killed a 5 light room because his burner ran out of sulfur - no joke

M

Magoo

a good friend of mine killed a 5 light room because his burner ran out of sulfur - no joke

his sulfur burner was made of aluminum?

I mean, to burn through the sulfur, and burn an aluminum can, we are talking pretty dang hot for an extensive period of time....

Did he leave it on for a week or what?

the rrock

the rrock

Get a electric skillet with an adjustable temp setting used for a few bucks. It is not rocket science. when it slowly melts and vaporizes you have it dialed in. I set mine around 250-275* Use the 100 bucks you saved to upgrade your ventilation.JK

I got mine from a thrift store for $5 a portable electric burner/hot plate . It works as good or better than the high$$$ models. I burn it in a aluminum 2qt bowl.=never had any problems

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
his sulfur burner was made of aluminum?

I mean, to burn through the sulfur, and burn an aluminum can, we are talking pretty dang hot for an extensive period of time....

Did he leave it on for a week or what?

the cup that holds the sulfur is aluminum - the sulfur may have caught fire and burned off, or my buddy didnt pay attention to how much was left when he moved it from one flower room to the other

search the web - Im not making this shit up

J

Jalisco Kid

I too had a friend turn a crop into crispy clumps but I think he overdosed them. He used a rosebud to turn an iron skillet red hot then poured in his sulfur. You put enough on the leaves and you will turn the plants internal pH upsidedown. JK

M

Magoo

I too had a friend turn a crop into crispy clumps but I think he overdosed them. He used a rosebud to turn an iron skillet red hot then poured in his sulfur. You put enough on the leaves and you will turn the plants internal pH upsidedown. JK

:facepalm: that doesn't sound like a very good idea, never knew of anyone actually screwing up their garden with sulfur burner. The theory behind its use, and the practice of treating with 'heated' or 'burning' sulfur (we don't actually burn the dang sulfur guys) this is really a very simple task.

But again, from each error we hope we learned something...

N

nmm

I wish I'd read this yesterday. I was too "smart" to spend $180 on a sulfur vaporizer and bought a hot plate and pan. I burnt the sulfur and found my crop destroyed this morning. 12 trays gone... Proceed with caution when using sulfur...

N

nmm

I just killed a 12 light room (week 7) because I was too cheap to buy the vaporizer. I used a hot plate. The sulfur got too hot and poisoned my whole crop. It looks like a fire burned my plants. Nothing but stems and half developed buds left. Proceed with caution when heating sulfur....

N

nmm

Sulfur Vaporizing - Proceed With Caution

No joke indeed... I found my crop wiped out yesterday (7 weeks into flower) because I didn't do my homework on sulfur vapor treatments for powdery mildew. I used a hot plate instead of buying a vaporizer unit designed for this specific purpose. The sulfur got hot and burned. This stuff is insanely toxic to plants when it burns so proceed with caution my fellow farmers...

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Just buy a burner. They last a long time. Be proactive not reactive

Also, limit your first burn to an hour or two. Make sure your plants can handle it.

Lastly, i burn in veg or first week of bloom at the latest. That sulphur coats your plants and you dont want to smoke that crap!

bloads

bloads

Spray the plants first w/water and burn during lights off, like directions say?

F

fotparmer

What does this burner do for your grow room? Noob ? but Im a noob. :)

Top Bottom