Homemade XXL No Leak "Earthbox" Style Planter

• Thread starter DrFeelGood
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
phenotyper

phenotyper

Really nice work. I have been thinking about doing this for a while and this really saved me a ton of planning effort.

I have one question, how exactly are you preventing runoff if the bottom container is too full? You mention that if you accidentally add too much water this system handles it but I did not understand your explanation fully. Thanks again and +rep.

Edit: Is that just a drain level water indicator? Is that the mod or am I still being dense?

D

DrFeelGood

Really nice work. I have been thinking about doing this for a while and this really saved me a ton of planning effort.

I have one question, how exactly are you preventing runoff if the bottom container is too full? You mention that if you accidentally add too much water this system handles it but I did not understand your explanation fully. Thanks again and +rep.

Edit: Is that just a drain level water indicator? Is that the mod or am I still being dense?

The 90 degree hose fitting is the only hole in the bottom box so the hose is showing the water level in the bottom box, and the marking on the hose is slightly below the bottom of the upper/inner box. So if you fill to the line you are still below the level that the soil sits at. The only thing the water will do if you add too much is accumulate in the bottom bucket and make the level in the hose raise therefore overfilling it will not leak on the floor as a conventional Earthbox would, and slightly overfilling it is fine because the mark is still a bit lower than where you could safely fill it to. When it is time to flush you can just undo the twist ties and pull the hose down and into a bucket.

Dr. FG

C

canolution

SWEET bro i like your grow i am starting a log to i am gonna update it with videos i could sure value you input

D

DrFeelGood

Here is the link to the 2KW 4' X 8' G13 SCROG experiment that I am working on currently:

Dr FG

D

DrFeelGood

An update on the potential hose/algae issue that was raised by somebody a while back-

I had no algae in the hose for 3-4 months but I tried using the water which was coming out of my AC and into a bucket to water a few times and I got a little algae. I stopped using the AC drain water immediately and it seems to have stopped the problem. When I clean after this cycle I will either scrub the hose out or just put a new piece on the fitting. These boxes work so well I am making 7 more as we speak.

Dr FG

P

P Nice

So the bottom box holds the water/nutes, and the top box contains the growing media?

D

DrFeelGood

So the bottom box holds the water/nutes, and the top box contains the growing media?

You water through the tube and it sits in the bottom and wicks up through the coco fiber. You can not over water with this method. You still fertilize by pouring it on top of the soil.

Dr FG

C

claudacio

I am very interested in this, when I started this last grow I was thinking I wanted to run as many small clones as I possibly could for a SOG grow but I am now starting to think I would much rather veg a couple plants a bit longer and be running low plant numbers rather than a bunch of little ones.

I kinda understand how they work, but what I cant wrap my head around is how do you flush them? Or do you need to seeing you are bottom feeding and the soil isnt being saturated with nutes?? Hmmm, I am starting to think I really like the way these look, I already have 4 of those tough boxes somewhere not being used......

Thanks for posting this though, it may have solved my problem of not having trays in stands to collect the water from the run off. My last grow I used 3 gallon pots, when I had to water I would sit the 3 gallon pots on a 5 gallon bucket and water that way but it was tiresome lifting 8-9 plants on and off every other day with such small pots and hitting them on the lights....they were to big for 3 gallon pots to say the least. But I have never really seen the earth box thing before, it looks like it definitely works though after seeing your other threads...

D

DrFeelGood

I am very interested in this, when I started this last grow I was thinking I wanted to run as many small clones as I possibly could for a SOG grow but I am now starting to think I would much rather veg a couple plants a bit longer and be running low plant numbers rather than a bunch of little ones.

I kinda understand how they work, but what I cant wrap my head around is how do you flush them? Or do you need to seeing you are bottom feeding and the soil isnt being saturated with nutes?? Hmmm, I am starting to think I really like the way these look, I already have 4 of those tough boxes somewhere not being used......

Thanks for posting this though, it may have solved my problem of not having trays in stands to collect the water from the run off. My last grow I used 3 gallon pots, when I had to water I would sit the 3 gallon pots on a 5 gallon bucket and water that way but it was tiresome lifting 8-9 plants on and off every other day with such small pots and hitting them on the lights....they were to big for 3 gallon pots to say the least. But I have never really seen the earth box thing before, it looks like it definitely works though after seeing your other threads...

I top water when I feed or give compost teas, but keep the bottom reservoir full with water so they don't ever get parched. It is basically doing hydroponics with a soil medium. To flush you have to lift them up onto something and turn the water level meter hose so it can drain into a bucket. You could just top water for the last two weeks to flush instead it would work almost as well. I am going to have to do that with the 100 gallon pot.

Dr FG

C

claudacio

Wow, thats insane. I was checking out your thread with the 100G pot scrog, that is some amazing shit right there.

I dont necessarily want to grow that big, but I do have a couple tents with 1k lights to go with each. What I want to do is fill in a 4x4 space with 1 or 2 plants max and use the scrog to make it happen, but I dont think a 5 or 7 gallon pots would be enough to achieve that much space. My problem as I said is flushing, I dont have floor drains or something big enough to raise the plants up high enough to be able to just water the snot out of them and not worry about the runoff, I'm sure its a common problem for most when it comes to flushing big plants but I think you got it nailed.

I would love to try something like you have but I just dont have the space for anything of that magnitude. Definitely a sight to be seen though, I can only imagine how crazy that setup looks in person. Thanks for the info, I'll be watching that one for sure.

Top Bottom