Homesteader's rabbit powered indoor grow

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

I used up the rest of the urine and to avoid any spill out I use a galvanized stake and pierce the soil with it around the root zone. The pH on the bags were all between 5.8 and 6.1 before I added any bunny juice which raised it up to around 6.2-6.4. All are doing well by the looks of it. My lights need to be worked on a bit as one of the drivers is giving me issues but its probably a connection.

Looking a bit ahead at the container build and I am going to start building lights for it. I have a lot of 24" heat sinks that I want to put to use and the cost of Cree CXB 3590 are half of what they were 5 years ago so I think Ill probably use those. I also have about a month to get work done on this before Spring hits on the farm.
The cost for the container is around $3500 for a regular 20'er and a high cube one is around $5500.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cree-LED/CXB3590-0000-000N0HCB50E?qs=Oettwh6T2OGWS/WUFWYqkw==&mgh=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA5sieBhBnEiwAR9oh2imbNLCBlgm5KD09XGDHH5a7VQi2cUh3KQ3KydyDRoqDUKYVO9IArxoC3qcQAvD_BwE

IMG 20230124 200258384
IMG 20230126 055136161
IMG 20230126 055228609
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Looking a bit ahead at the container build and I am going to start building lights for it. I have a lot of 24" heat sinks that I want to put to use and the cost of Cree CXB 3590 are half of what they were 5 years ago so I think Ill probably use those.
very cool
The cost for the container is around $3500 for a regular 20'er and a high cube one is around $5500.
😮containers get really, really hot ac running cost gonna be a b

Homesteader

Homesteader

I'm moving my two rooms from my home and putting them in the container which will get the Mitsubishi ac unit I currently use (well waiting to get a guy over to vacuum the line and cap it, I'm not using it during the winter)

I probably won't grow to heavily during the summer months due to the heat and I am using my sawmill and working on other things that time of year but Ill add a shade cloth of some sort.

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

Not much stretching with all the red light but I am happy with the health of it and think the roots are probably spreading fast. No visible deficiency or stress that I see In any of them other than too much wind on one. The room is not ideal right now though and finally have a day I can fix one of the outlets, sealed it up a bit better and get CO2 running again. I pinched a few of the lower branches, and buried the stalk a bit in sand but I'll let all the rest branches go from here on.

IMG 20230203 080812036
Homesteader

Homesteader

If there is a limit to using rabbit manure, then I would have achieved it today. Added about 3 gallons of manure/hay/frozen urine to each plant and then top dressed it with some garden soil to combat the awful smell. 12 hours later and the smell is pretty much gone but the plant is showing no stress and all seem very healthy and loving it.
Took 4 clones off of each plant.
I told myself no landraces this year, but I am popping a few of the landrace cross again to see if I get a more potent flower on this run.
Looks like four of the seeds popped out. Going to run them in rabbit turd as well.

IMG 20230209 082228539 HDR
IMG 20230210 050632397 BURST000 COVER
IMG 20230209 131518744
Anthem

Anthem

I'm moving my two rooms from my home and putting them in the container which will get the Mitsubishi ac unit I currently use (well waiting to get a guy over to vacuum the line and cap it, I'm not using it during the winter)

I probably won't grow to heavily during the summer months due to the heat and I am using my sawmill and working on other things that time of year but Ill add a shade cloth of some sort.
Homesteader,
Take a look at Alumishade for the covering. It might be too expensive but I have used it on a greenhouse in the past at the peak of summer. They offer different quantities of sunlight blockage,

Anthem

Anthem

Homesteader,
Take a look at Alumishade for the covering. It might be too expensive but I have used it on a greenhouse in the past at the peak of summer. They offer different quantities of sunlight blockage,
are you going to paint it white?
any insulation plans?

Homesteader

Homesteader

Have a visitor staying in the empty grow room with her mother until it gets a bit warmer. Stripped a bunch of fan leaves and fed them to mom. Going to switch over to flower this week and start focusing on the green house. The rabbits will move out after the cold spell/storm this week

IMG 20230220 0831141802
IMG 20230220 083013435
P

PahPahCee

I’m envious of your set up! I’m desperately trying to leave the city and get my family a chunk of land to work. Until then, we try to work our little back yard the best we can.

Can’t wait to see your build out. I’ve saved this coldroom storage link for future endeavors. I’m sure you’ve already have a game plan for the shipping container but none the less: https://www.storeitcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/DIY-Cooler-2021-7A.pdf

Have you dove into any KNF/Jadam stuff yet? I would image bunny poop + some KNF would kill it.

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

Downsizing the grow rooms for this run and working at moving the grow room to a container by this summer but for the time being I am going to run about 6 plants indoors and grow them with ONLY rabbit poop and rabbit urine (as well as gypsum and native dirt). Rabbit manure is a cold manure which means that it isn't high in salts and can be used immediately without the need for flushing the sodium first. The NPK of rabbit terd is about 2.5-1.5-.5 and the urine is loaded with the same and high in calcium carbonate. Rabbits don't metabolize calcium the same way as other animals, so any excess is expelled in urine.
Last year we had a total of 18 rabbits but now we are down to a half dozen for the winter months. I love my rabbits. We raise meat rabbits but I prefer to eat chicken so I keep the breeders on the ready in case shit hits the fan and food supply becomes short.

Growing a few kush crosses to look for a summer keeper as well as two mimosas I had as a freebie and a Tangerine Dream. I think i am going to shy away from all landraces this year and just focus on quality hybrids for this summer. Im still getting burned from growing shit smoke last year and hope to change that and get the jars refilled. ANyhow happy new year to you all and Ill post more as it comes.
Was the “shit smoke” the landraces?

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

I put too much of my energy into growing a landrace cross that I made only to find it didn't pass muster. Seems to be the norm with landraces for me. I prefer hybrid if I'm putting that much of my focus into a grow.
Landrace crosses need tons of pheno hunting to find a gem or even acceptable plant. Its why breeders who put in the effort to stabilize them get so much respect. At minimum to progress I've seen numbers as low as a few hundred from each generation up to tens of thousands of plants. Its a lifelong commitment with plant count restrictions so definitely don't put all your eggs in that basket.

You can find some really interesting stuff in those genetics but don't expect a balance of structure, flower time, frost, aroma, and potency. Especially hash plants are usually 25% CBD dominant, 50% 1-1, and 25% THC dominant.

I had a run of Syrian from the real seed company tested and they topped out at 5% THC. It was my first landrace grow too so I also put all my eggs in that basket and want happy with the final return.

Your current run is looking great though, I'm excited to see how it plays out. I'm also dieing to start my own homestead and its finally looking like it's only about a year away to secure some land. My goals are being as self sustaining as possible, focusing on orchard grazing with pigs and chickens and collecting their by products for the maintaining a small market garden. I'm ok with slaughtering animals if they had a good life but convincing the wife on rabbits will be hard.

Very interesting to read about the properties of the urine as a pesticide! I love the idea as crazy as it sounds to spray urine on food, we wash our food anyways and currently spray much worse things. Why not use something that's locally produced, less toxic, and environmentally damaging if its available and works. Thank you for sharing! 🍻

Homesteader

Homesteader

A week or two into flower and no deficiency at all by the looks. Normally would veg it longer to use up more of the soil but warm weather is just a few months away and Im disabling my mini split once the snow melts. Rabbits are out of the greenhouse and the soil has begun to get worked. Pretty dry in there now so I dumped some shovels of snow on one of the beds to melt.
Storing some milled fir lumber on the other bed so Ill have to delay that side for awhile until the snow melts

IMG 20230307 1158505002
IMG 20230307 115732463
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom